ECONorthwest, the Pacific Northwest’s largest economics consulting firm, has an immediate opening for a full-time Associate in its Development & Transportation practice. This position will focus primarily on topics relating to planning and urban development, such as development and market feasibility, transit-oriented development, housing finance, housing policy, and land use. For examples of past ECONorthwest projects please see our website: econw.com/development-and-transportation.
Associates typically work in flexible teams to execute project tasks including client coordination, data analysis, writing, and producing deliverables. Associates may own a work stream in a larger project and may have primary responsibility for smaller projects under the guidance of a Project Director and/or Project Manager. Associates also work closely with Research Analysts to collect, clean, and analyze data. Assignment to specific projects will depend on the skills and interests of the Associate as well as the firm’s project needs. The core responsibilities for this role include:
- Scope tasks and contribute to analysis methods as part of larger projects
- Undertake project-based analysis that may include feasibility analysis for residential and commercial development, mapping and spatial analysis, demographic analysis, and zoning, land use and policy research
- Prepare written and visual documentation of findings
- Juggle multiple projects and meet concurrent deadlines
- Assist with business development efforts (proposals, presentations, and other materials)
ECONorthwest is committed to improving its workplace diversity and inclusiveness. Our best work draws on teams within and beyond ECONorthwest who have diverse backgrounds and experiences that reflect the multifaceted communities we work in. Thus, we encourage applicants who would expand the diversity of lived experiences within our team.
- Intellectual curiosity and critical thinking, with an interest in the economics of development and / or public policy
- Minimum of three years of relevant work experience, OR a master’s degree in economics, planning, public policy, real estate or a related field AND some related work experience
- Familiarity with relevant public policy issues: zoning and land use, housing affordability, and real estate development
- Dependable, organized, and detail-oriented
- Strong communications skills and ability to work well in teams
- Collaborative, flexible, and willing to perform a diversity of tasks
- Strong ability to juggle competing priorities and working under deadlines
- Demonstrated excellence in written and oral communications
- Advanced experience with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Experience using quantitative and statistical methods in an applied setting
Desired Qualifications and Skills
- We are looking for candidates with any of the following desired qualifications or skills:
- Experience analyzing and interpreting real estate and socioeconomic market datasets, including taxlots, zoning, Co-Star, and / or U.S. Census and ACS/CPS microdata
- Experience with real estate analysis using pro formas, familiarity with public-private-partnerships, and knowledge of public budgeting processes and tax policy
- Awareness of the historical and on-going impacts that federal, state, and local land use, housing, financial and other policies have had on low-income households, communities of color, and other marginalized populations.
- Experience presenting information to public audiences and communicating information for a variety of stakeholders
- Experience in a consulting setting
- GIS / spatial analysis
- Data visualization experience with Illustrator or other layout software
ECONorthwest staff are working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic. The selected candidate will be expected to work remotely until public health guidelines allow our offices to safely reopen. When this occurs, the selected candidate would be expected to work in one of our offices located in Portland, Oregon, Seattle Washington, or Los Angeles, California.
The salary for this full-time position will be commensurate with market rates. This position is eligible for full company benefits.
Open until filled. We expect to conduct interviews beginning the week of October 5th.
Required Application Materials
All materials (aside from essay questions) should be submitted in PDF format. An applicant who fails to submit any of the required application materials will not advance to an interview. Please contact Taylor Burton at email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns about these requirements.
- Cover letter: 1-page limit, including where you saw this job announcement, why you want to work at ECONorthwest and which desired qualifications you feel are your strongest.
- Current resume: Include relevant coursework completed in the past five years.
- Writing sample: 5 pages or less, highlighting your research and writing skills
- Essay questions: 200 words per question. These questions do not need to be submitted with your cover letter, resume, or writing sample. These questions will be available to you on the application page.
- Please describe a planning or development related project that you contributed to in a professional or academic setting. Please describe the role that you played and an overview of the project, and discuss what went well and what you learned from the project.
- ECONorthwest has a Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI) initiative focused on strengthening our consulting and better serving our clients and communities. Please describe your understanding of equity considerations related to land use, housing, financial, or other policies and any relevant professional or lived experience you have relating to equity issues in policy-making, public or real estate investments, or in research.
This position is classified as exempt full-time. The selected candidate would be benefits eligible. ECONorthwest offers competitive wages and generous benefits including medical/dental/vision/life/ disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, 401(k), and paid holidays.
ECONorthwest is not a sponsoring organization.
ECONorthwest is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ECONorthwest provides independent, insightful, and relevant analyses that strengthen policy and investment decisions. Since 1974, ECONorthwest has served a diverse range of public and private sector clients across the United States: business management and labor unions; conservationists and energy companies; public planning departments and private developers; litigation plaintiffs and defendants. Our studies are conducted by staff vetted for strong economic, financial, and policy evaluative skills. We are passionate about improving the economic and living conditions in the communities we serve. We do this through thoughtful economic analysis, informed by the multiple perspectives of those affected by our work and policy recommendations. By committing to active engagement in the areas of equity, diversity, and inclusion, we are able to pose sharper questions, elicit deeper insights, design better solutions, and deliver more value to our clients.