The Diesel Mechanic is responsible for the maintenance of a large fleet of tractors and trailers bymaking repairs to trailers, ramps, doors, etc., performing tune ups and front end maintenance, andmaking road service calls when required.
• Maintain Fluid Levels in all tractors and trailers
• Make repairs on trailers, ramps, doors bulkheads, etc.
• Perform front-end maintenance – set toe-in, shackle bushings, tie rod ends, drag link, etc.
• Perform B preventative maintenance on all equipment, including spring replacement, door repairs, rebuilt 5th wheels and smoke test.
• Welding fabrication
• Overhead door and liftgate repairs
• Wheel alignment
• All electrical diagnostics
• Set up and repair two wheelers
• Make road service calls when required for minor repairs such as replacing belts and hoses
• Fill out necessary paperwork as required
• Ensure that all parts and supplies are charged out to the proper repair order.
• Ensure conformance with vehicle manufacture’s service manual and bulletins.
• Ensure vehicles are in proper working condition.
• Ensure proper working conditions and shop and vehicle safety practices are followed
• Comply with all USF and government guidelines regarding safety when working on equipment (i.e. Lock Out/Tag Out, placarding and required documentation, safe work environment, etc.)
• Responsible maintenance equipment used in performance of job duties, including inventory maintenance, safe operation, proper storage, and security of tool area.
• Responsible for notifying supervisor of unsafe working conditions
• Repair and overhaul all major components
• Diagnose and rebuild all transmissions
• Must meet and maintain DOT standards
• Other duties as assigned
# EOE Race/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Protected Veteran/Disability Status
1. High School education or equivalent required; additional mechanic training or trade school degree preferred.
2. Computer and software experience.
3. Class A or B commercial driver license preferred
4. Thermo King, IMACA certification, State Freon License preferred
*Related Experience:* Minimum of 3-5 years recent related diesel truck mechanic experience
1. Knowledge of all industry computer software
2. Good interpersonal skills to establish and maintain co-worker relationships
3. Ability to read ohmmeter required
4. Ability to diagnose via computer
5. Ability to read and follow written instructions in English
6. Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights and weekends
7. Must have own full set of tools 8. Good attendance and punctuality a must
The physical demands of the job require standing for long periods of time, bending, kneeling,reaching, and lifting. Must be able to lift up to 80 lbs. Reasonable accommodations may beindividuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
**Primary Location:** Perth Amboy-NJ
**Schedule:** Full-time **Shift:** Evening Job
**Job Function:** Maintenance
**Job Level:** Individual Contributor
About US Foods
Why US Foods? As one of America’s top 10 largest private companies, we offer talented professionals outstanding opportunities for personal and professional development. We maintain a strong focus on growth in a high-performance environment. That means your work will be challenging and rewarding. We conduct business in a highly ethical manner and maintain an unwavering commitment to operational excellence, safety, and environmental responsibility. As important, we encourage collaboration and value each member of our diverse and talented team.