Assists dentist during examination and treatment to include surgery, prosthodontics, endodontic, pedodontics and orthodontics by performing the following duties. This position is full time.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Responsible for ordering supplies and maintaining inventory.
- Responsible for maintaining current status to meet CDC and CALOSHA requirements.
- Assists the dentist during procedures, keeps the oral operating area clear, supplies instruments, material and medications.
- Prepares patient, sterilizes and disinfects instruments, sets up instrument trays, prepares materials, and assists dentist during dental procedures.
- Assists the dentists with patient management by contributing to the patients comfort and reassurance.
- Takes and records medical and dental histories and vital signs of patient.
- Exposes dental diagnostic x-rays.
- Cleans and maintains the operatory in between patients.
- Instructs patients in oral hygiene and plaque control programs.
- Sterilizes and maintains dental instruments and supplies.
- Makes preliminary impressions for study casts and occlusal registrations for mounting study casts.
- Performs additional patient procedures under a dentist’s supervision by taking impressions for diagnostic and opposing models, application of non-aerosol and non-caustic topical agents, removal of orthodontic separators, assists with the administration of nitrous oxide analgesic, holding anterior matrices, removal of sutures, seating of adjusted orthodontic retainers or headgear, checking for loose bands, removal of ligature ties, application of topical fluoride gels, placement and removal of rubber dams and placing, wedging and removal of matrices.
- Performs advanced dental assisting duties by inspecting the oral cavity including charting patients complaints, placement and removal of temporary sedative dressings, dry endodontic canals, tests pulp vitality, places sound dentin liners, excess cement removal, sizes steel crowns, places orthodontic bands and separators, places post extraction and periodontal dressings, coronal polishing, prepares occlusal sealants and removes dental materials by the use of supragingival.
- Participates in educational development activities to maintain current status.
- Assists with daily department administrative duties by maintain operatory supplies, cleans amalgam trap and vacuum system, charts filing, answers phones, provides front office coverage when assigned from 12:00 Noon to 1:00 P.M.
- Pours, trims, and polishes study casts, fabricates custom impression trays from preliminary impressions, cleans and polishes removable appliances, and fabricates temporary restorations.
- Ensures that dental lab orders are picked up with accurate paperwork.
- Checks for assigned duties weekly.
- Cleans, drains, sharpens dental equipment and instruments, drains the compressor weekly.
- Rotates to Santa Ysabel on a weekly basis, maintains supplies at SY.
- Maintains all reimbursable expense records, and cleans evacuator trap and checks and replenishes oil level on compressor monthly.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Performs front desk related duties on assigned days as follows:
- Directs and streamlines front desk workflow and patient flow
- Trains, manages and coordinates front office activities including patient registration, scheduling, document collection and verification
- In coordination with key staff recommends, establishes and implements policies and procedures pertaining to scheduling practices which maximize productivity and quality patient care
- Serves as a resource to front desk personnel by answering questions regarding scheduling and treatment plans
- Assists with performance evaluations of front desk employees by providing input and feedback
- Facilitates communication between the front and the back office
- Provides oral and written reports concerning department activities and accomplishments.
- Maintains timely communication with the Dental Office Manager regarding front desk activities and process improvement
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned including serving as a backup to cover multiple positions within the Dental Department.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Current RDA, CPR, coronal polishing certificate and radiation license. Current California driver’s license and safe driving records required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Applicants must successfully pass a pre-employment physical exam, tuberculin skin test or x-ray, and blood/urine screening test. Health must be adequate to perform all duties of the position.
- Responds promptly and with caring actions to patients and employees. Acknowledge psychosocial, spiritual and cultural beliefs and honor these beliefs.
- Maintain professional working relationships with all levels of staff, clients and the public.
- Be part of a team and cooperate in accomplishing department/organizational goals and objectives.
- Displays knowledge of normal signs of human development and ability to assess and provide age appropriate care
- Contribute to the success of the organization by participating in quality improvement activities.
- Maintain current knowledge of policies and procedures as they relate to safe work practices.
- Follow all safety procedures and report unsafe conditions.
- Use appropriate body mechanics to ensure an injury free environment.
- Be familiar with location if nearest fire extinguisher and emergency exits.
- Follow all infection control procedures including blood-borne pathogen protocols.
- Maintain privacy of all patient, employee and volunteer information and access such information only on a need to know basis for business purposes.
- Comply with all regulations regarding corporate integrity and security obligations.
- Report unethical; fraudulent or unlawful behavior or activity.
- Specify privileges and responsibilities of employment, including compliance with an adverse incident reporting system.
- Maintains client case files in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and IHC policies.
Indian Preference shall be given in accordance with IHC’s Policies and Procedures Section 3, Part 3-1, Paragraph 5