Assists dentist during examination and treatment to include surgery, prosthodontics, endodontic, pedodontics and orthodontics.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Responsible for maintaining current status to meet CDC and CALOSHA requirements.
2. Assists the dentist during procedures, keeps the oral operating area clear, supplies instruments, material and medications.
3. Prepares patient, sterilizes and disinfects instruments, sets up instrument trays, prepares materials, and assists dentist during dental procedures.
4. Assists the dentists with patient management by contributing to the patients comfort and reassurance.
5. Takes and records medical and dental histories and vital signs of patient.
6. Exposes dental diagnostic radiographs.
7. Cleans and maintains the operatory in between patients.
8. Instructs patients in proper oral hygiene methods.
9. Takes preliminary impressions for study models and bite registration records as indicated.
10. Performs additional patient procedures under a dentist’s supervision and in accordance with RDA certification.
11. Performs advanced dental assisting duties such as sealant placement if proper certification has been obtained.
12. Participates in educational development activities to maintain a current RDA license.
13. Assists with daily department maintenance duties including: stocking of dental operatory supplies, maintaining amalgam traps, vacuum system and all back office operatory.
14. Assists with front office duties as needed including filing of charts, answering phones, and providing front office coverage when assigned.
15. Enter all necessary patient information into Dentrix and RPMS and instructed.
16. Ensures that dental lab orders are coordinated properly with accurate paperwork.
17. Maintains back office Dental Equipment as assigned.
18. Rotates and maintains supplies in Santa Ysabel as assigned.
19. Maintains patient confidentiality.
20. Performs other related duties as prescribed.
21. Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/ or EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); graduate of an accredited school of dental assistant and a minimum of 2 years’ experience as a dental assistant.