RAN1 Standardization & 5G NR Design Engineer
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc.
Engineering – Systems
California – San Diego
Qualcomm is a company of inventors that unlocked 5G ushering in an age of rapid acceleration in connectivity and new possibilities that will transform industries, create jobs, and enrich lives. But this is just the beginning. It takes inventive minds with diverse skills, backgrounds, and cultures to transform 5Gs potential into world-changing technologies and products. This is the Invention Age and this is where you come in.
Qualcomm is seeking a 3GPP System Engineer with demonstrated experience in wireless system design and standardization, with a focus on the 3GPP NR physical layer and MAC.
The candidate will join a world-class team working on the design, promotion, and standardization of new LTE and NR features.
The primary responsibility of the candidate is design and standardization of 3GPP NR lower layer features (3GPP RAN WG1 and WG2), especially for the expansion of 5G to new verticals, such as satellites, drones and new IoT areas.
The candidate is expected to directly participate in team design activities, studying design issues related to the latest NR features and working on innovative solutions to them.
The candidate is also expected to undertake activities to promote Qualcomm wireless technologies in 3GPP and other standard organizations, including developing technical contributions based on Qualcomm designs, giving high quality presentations , and working to obtain consensus.
Attendance to 3GPP RAN1 or other industry groups may become part of the job. In that case, the candidate is expected to travel for week-long meetings evenly distributed between Europe, North America and Asia.
The candidate will operate in collaboration with different business units within the company, including research projects and product groups. The candidate will work in an exciting environment with a team of some of the brightest systems engineers in the industry and will have frequent interaction with other engineering disciplines.
All Qualcomm employees are expected to actively support diversity on their teams, and in the Company.
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Information Systems, Computer Science, or related field.
2+ years Systems Engineering or related work experience.
– Solid understanding of wireless radio technology principles. In particular, a solid knowledge of the 3GPP LTE and NR physical layers and of 3GPP features up to Release 15 is required
– Experience in wireless system design is essential
– Experience in standardization working groups is preferable
– A good understanding of end to end system design is a plus
– Experience in satellite communications is a plus
– A good understanding of key business concepts and being able to relate this to various business strategies for both Qualcomm and others in the industry is also a plus
– Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills is required.
– Candidate should highlight any experience as an editor, rapporteur or chair of standards bodies.
– Ability to work independently
PhD, Masters or equivalent mix of education and experience, in a field related to communications, preferable wireless (cellular) communications.
EEO Employer: Qualcomm is an equal opportunity employer; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or any other protected classification.
Who is Qualcomm, and what do we do? We are engineers, scientists and business strategists. We are from many different countries and speak many different languages. We come from diverse cultures and have unique perspectives. Together, we focus on a single goal—invent mobile technology breakthroughs.