SDG&E is an innovative San Diego-based energy company that provides clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people it serves in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The company is committed to creating a sustainable future by providing its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure the reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE).
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
Prepare or assist in the preparation of engineering designs, specifications, standards, studies, cost estimates and the development of sound technical recommendations, in support of projects and tasks managed by others within the department or other departments. Responsible for engineering calculations to solve problems for new facilities and repairs/modifications to existing facilities related to the SDGE electric and gas transmission/distribution system. Works on more complex projects than a lower-level engineer.
Duties and Responsibilities:
– The senior engineer position in Electric System Hardening is part of the distribution strategy team and plays a critical role in developing scope for Wildfire Mitigation Plans (WMP) and Reliability projects. This engineer works in the project initiation stage, scoping projects to meet company goals.
– This position involves the prioritization of long‐term system hardening efforts to target the areas of greatest wildfire risk as well as prioritization of reliability projects based on risk spend efficiency and other metrics.
– Oversee and coordinate engineering and economic feasibility studies and cost analyses related to the design, construction and permitting of electric facilities. May provide leadership and direction to designers, planners, analysts and field personnel Provide technical expertise to one or multiple project teams for the evaluation of, and resolution to, engineering problems and designs involving various engineering disciplines. Gather data, perform calculations and prepare designs to develop technically sound conclusions, recommendations and results. Follow up on implementation of recommendations and/or acceptance of conclusions to assess accuracy and/or completeness. Evaluate job requests to determine purpose, scope and requirements. May include the assessment of alternative methods, assessment of outside support requirements, and review of Company, City, State, and Regulatory Agency Codes.
– Manage specific capital projects to ensure that they are built to standards, built on time, and within budget. Conduct safety and reliability related incident investigations. Manage and coordinate all activities leading to the successful completion of tasks and small projects including, scoping of project, selection of consultants and/or contractors, cost estimates, budgeting, permitting, design, material procurement and startup. Provide direction to contractors, consultants, Company engineers, technical specialists and the remainder of the project team. Utilize departmental project control systems to maintain budget and schedule and provide timely status reports to the client.
– Develop Company standards, specifications and procedures. Participate in, and provide technical input to, review of proposed changes in regulatory requirements affecting codes and standards. Recommend modifications to Company policies and procedures that reflect regulatory changes. Develop Company standards, specifications and procedures governing selection, design, application and operation of materials, components and systems which meet Company needs on a long-term basis and with optimum economic considerations.
– Interpret state and federal codes, industry standards and Company specifications for clients. Participate in, and provide technical input to, review of proposed changes in regulatory requirements affecting codes and standards. Recommend modifications to Company policy and procedures that reflect regulatory changes.
– Stay abreast of the latest changes, trends and technological advancements in the industry through attendance at conferences and seminars, continuing education, literature, etc. Maintain familiarity with Company operations to effectively support client requests.
– Perform other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
– Bachelor’s Degree Engineering or equivalent training and experience.
– 3.5 years – Increasingly challenging engineering experience.
– Must have intermediate to advanced computer skills, including Microsoft Office applications.
– Must have good interpersonal and communication skills.
– Engineer-In-Training (EIT) Certification.
– Must reside in Southern California or be willing to relocate upon hire.
– We offer a hybrid work environment. Although the schedule may vary, typically this will allow you to work from the office two to three days per week and work remotely on the remaining week.
*May be filled at a higher level based on qualifications and experience.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
HYBRID: Work a combination of onsite and remote days each week, typically 2-3 days per week.
$93,800.00 – $140,700.00
Total Rewards Philosophy
Note: SDG&E strives to ensure that employees are paid equitably and competitively. Starting salaries may vary based on factors such as relevant experience, qualifications, and education.
SDG&E offers a competitive total rewards package that goes beyond base salary. This position is eligible for an annual performance-based incentive (bonus) as well as other merit-based recognition. Company benefits include health and welfare (medical, dental, vision), employer contributions to retirement benefits, life insurance, paid time off, as well as other company offerings such as tuition reimbursement, paid parental leave, and employee assistance programs.