SDG&E is an innovative San Diego-based energy company that provides clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people it serves in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The company is committed to creating a sustainable future by providing its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure the reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE).
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work, and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
The Group Scrum Manager is primarily responsible for maintaining the Scrum process and overall health of agile group of product teams. Ensures that the group of teams is fully functional and productive by supporting continuous improvement, administering group-level discussions, and removing any organizational obstacles that may be impeding progress.
Proactively anticipates problems, opportunities for improvement, and facilitates quarterly planning and scrum of scrums, enabling teams to focus on delivering its sprint commitments. Supports all Scrum Masters in the product group and is responsible for release orchestration. Acts as an Agile Coach across teams, responsible for the group’s understanding and continuous improvement in maturity.
Duties and Responsibilities
– Leads coaching and education of all teams within the product group on utilizing agile principles and practices/values according to company expectations. Facilitates universal application of best practices and processes needed to scale agile methodologies for organizational success. Helps group to identify any areas of improvement and facilitates interactive and action-oriented discussions to drive continuous improvements. Assesses agile maturity (i.e., ability to leverage agile ways of working to increase value delivered to the organization) of group and coaches teams to higher levels of maturity. Leverages the Sempra Agility Framework (a custom scaled agile framework) to improve the maturity across the group.
– Works with the Group Product Manager / Group Product Owner to monitor the quality of backlog (i.e., team-level lists of prioritized work that are well defined and ready to be delivered within a two-week sprint) and roadmaps and to provide coaching and education where appropriate. Capable of addressing medium complexity impediments, providing direction to teams, and collaborating across the organization to ensure that delivery impediments are addressed and resolved appropriately. Supports Scrum Masters in the group to remove team-level delivery impediments upon escalation. Capable of orchestrating releases of medium complexity, ensuring coordination across teams and groups. Builds trusting and safe environment for teams where problems can be escalated and discussed. Facilitates problem-solving between teams and groups.
– Runs the Group Review (i.e. scrum of scrums, a technique for coordinating work across multiple agile teams to ensure the integration of each team’s outcome in overall solution) and other coordination events or communities of practice to ensure smooth delivery and coordination of work across teams. Facilitates group-level discussions, decision making, and conflict resolutions to create the safe working environment for team members. Proactively communicates with stakeholders both internal and external to group, promotes transparency and information sharing between teams in group, between groups, and with executive leadership as needed.
– Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
– Bachelor’s Degree Computer Science, Information Systems, Software Engineering, related field or equivalent training and/or experience.
– 6 years – Related work experience in Project or Product Delivery, Product Management, Software Project Delivery, IT and/or Business Operations or equivalent experience.
– Cross-functional Collaboration – Ability to participate in co-operative working relationships including knowledge sharing and partnership in achieving solutions within and across business or operational functions.
– Facilitation – Ability to lead impactful meetings, optimize group processes, foster collaboration, and assist a group or team in understanding and achieving their objectives.
– Agile Methodologies – Knowledge of concepts, including Agile Scrum and/or Kanban, and application of Agile methodology (e.g., Lean, SAFe, LeSS) for project management to be able to design, implement and manage projects.
– Must reside in Southern California or be willing to relocate upon hire.
– We offer a hybrid work environment. Although the schedule may vary, typically this will allow you to work from the office two to three days per week and work remotely on the remaining workdays.
– 3 years – Experience as a Scrum Master and/or Agile Coach for a delivery team that was actively applying Scrum principles, practices, and theory.
– 2 years – Experience with Agile frameworks such as Agile Scrum, Kanban, SAFe, LESS.
– Agile Scrum, Product Owner or Scrum Master certifications such as Certified Scrum Master.
– Agile Coaching Certified Professional (ICP-ACC) or equivalent.
– DevSecOps Methodologies – Strong understanding of processes and concepts to drive the integration of development, operations, and security into enterprise software development to produce better outcomes.
– Work Management Tools – Knowledge and use of work management tracking applications, such as Azure DevOps Boards, Jira, Confluence.
– May require work outside of normal business hours and/or 24/7 response availability for system and application maintenance, enhancements, production releases and/or operational emergencies.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.