SDG&E is an innovative San Diego-based energy company that provides clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people it serves in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The company is committed to creating a sustainable future by providing its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure the reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE).
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
For more information, visit SDGEnews.com or connect with SDG&E on Twitter (@SDGE), Instagram (@SDGE) and Facebook.
Under the direction of an attorney, provide paralegal support in general liability, personal injury, commercial, real estate and bankruptcy litigation matters. Conduct intermediate level legal and factual research, analyze, summarize and prepare basic level legal documents and memoranda and manage legal files. Coordinates processes and activities with Company business units, Company support services and external parties, usually with general supervision depending on the nature of the task.
Duties and Responsibilities
– Assist attorneys in the defense and prosecution of complex cases, perform factual investigation and research, obtain testimony and affidavits/declarations as needed; draft discovery responses; set up depositions and medical exams; summarize medical reports and billing records and perform other investigative functions for each case; prepare exhibits for trial proceedings.
– Respond to inquiries related to hearing schedules and case status; prepare and review ordinary course transcript summaries of subjects and witnesses; prepare rebuttal statements based on standard forms where anticipated and provide recommendations where further development is needed.
– Prepare witnesses for testimony including reviewing potential issues surrounding the case and participating in a simulated cross-examination.
– Regularly communicate with Company employees and some communications with third parties including outside counsel, counterparties, customers and executives regarding matters within assigned area of responsibility.
– Use on-line research tools to perform routine searches for standard factual and legal information pertaining to the Company and assigned matters; maintain corporate data and legal documents.
– Review third party subpoenas and law enforcement subpoenas served on the Company. Responsible for gathering the information and/or witnesses from company resources necessary to provide a response. Responsible for serving the responsive documents.
– Performs other duties as assigned.
– Bachelor’s Degree Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Law or related field.
– 2+ Previous paralegal experience or equivalent training and/or experience in area of legal expertise.
– Candidate should demonstrate a sound understanding of legal standards, professional methods, regulations and underlying legal concepts within their area of legal expertise.
– Candidate should work under direction guided by project and department operating priorities and expected outcomes.
– Candidate should be able to anticipate outcomes, recommend appropriate solutions to standard issues and work independently on assignments, seeking guidance for more complex work.
– Candidate should have strong organizational skills and the ability to quickly gather and analyze information.
– Must be able to work in a team-oriented manner in a dynamic fast-paced environment and able to meet deadlines.
– Certification by an American Bar Association approved Paralegal Program or proof of licensed certification pursuant to California law.
– Must reside in Southern California or be willing to relocate upon hire.
– We offer a hybrid work environment. Although the schedule may vary, typically this will allow you to work from the office two to three days per week and work remotely on the remaining workdays.
*May be filled at a higher level based on qualifications and experience*
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
HYBRID: Work a combination of onsite and remote days each week, typically 2-3 days per week.
$72,100.00 – $108,200.00
Total Rewards Philosophy
Note: SDG&E strives to ensure that employees are paid equitably and competitively. Starting salaries may vary based on factors such as relevant experience, qualifications, and education.
SDG&E offers a competitive total rewards package that goes beyond base salary. This position is eligible for an annual performance-based incentive (bonus) as well as other merit-based recognition. Company benefits include health and welfare (medical, dental, vision), employer contributions to retirement benefits, life insurance, paid time off, as well as other company offerings such as tuition reimbursement, paid parental leave, and employee assistance programs.