SDG&E is an innovative San Diego-based energy company that provides clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people it serves in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The company is committed to creating a sustainable future by providing its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure the reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE).
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work, and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
This position independently performs a full spectrum of financial, regulatory, reporting and accounting assignments, including preparation of complex financial transactions, reports, and related analysis. Makes recommendations on operational and accounting issues within functional area. Coaches, guides, and trains assigned accounting staff. Performs and reviews complex work issues with minimal direction. Works in a team environment to accomplish projects and goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
– Serves as a lead professional for financial, regulatory, reporting, accounting, and control assignments in their areas of knowledge. Researches, recommends, and implements, under management’s direction, proper accounting, regulatory, reporting and financial treatment for new and existing operations, accounting pronouncements, regulations, regulatory decisions, and laws.
– Plans, schedules and reviews accounting staff work activities, providing on-the-job training, coaching and feedback to improve job knowledge and performance. Monitors for incorrect or needed accounting entries, and assures required accounting adjustments/transactions are made in a timely manner.
– Effectively achieves required deliverables for special projects, data requests and analysis, procedure development and implementation, etc. Forms teams as needed to accomplish assignment goals. Independently manages several concurrent projects, assignments and activities.
– Leads internal control activities including SOX test plan design and documentation, SOX testing, continual assessments for control improvement, and design/implementation of new or enhanced procedural and IT controls. Assures appropriate controls are included in the procedures manual and SOX documentation, and that assigned staff is trained in the procedures.
– Includes and works closely with all stakeholders to assure accurate, relevant, and timely accounting transactions and controls, and financial, regulatory, and tax information. Identifies and addresses internal customer training needs. Assures other organizations (e.g., regulatory, tax) are informed in a timely manner of significant transactions impacting them, and obtains guidance from manager, supervisor and other organizations when needed.
– Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
– Bachelor’s Degree Accounting, finance, economics, related business administration field or equivalent training and experience.
– Other Requires minimum of 20 semester units of accounting course or equivalent professional accounting experience.
– 3 years – Requires experience in public and/or professional accounting.
– Strong knowledge of SAP, utility accounting, Microsoft Word and Excel is highly desirable.
– Working knowledge of other Microsoft products such as Access and PowerPoint are also desirable.
– Verbal and written communications must be clear, concise and adaptable for both a technical and non-technical audience.
– Full understanding of the “Big Picture” and ability to interpret accounting, regulatory and financial theories and concepts, and develop alternative solutions to the company’s current business and regulatory issues to enhance competitive positioning and maximize shareholder value.
– Requires a thorough knowledge of “accounting” methods and techniques and the ability to apply both in problem solving.
– Sound understanding of internal controls and SOX 404.
– Strong computer skills with excellent understanding of SAP capabilities related to functional area and ability to query SAP and BW, and use query results and Excel to prepare reports, and analyze and model data.
– Skills in leadership and teambuilding, organizing, planning, controlling, coordinating, and delegating to effectively manage assignments and projects.
– Possess solid negotiation, listening, and interpersonal skills to persuade and influence those with divergent opinions to correctly and expeditiously address issues and achieve deliverable goals.
– Thorough knowledge of “generally accepted accounting principles.” Advanced understanding of the interrelationship between utility ratemaking and accounting, tax, and financial concepts.
– Up-to-date knowledge and technical proficiency in all FASB, Regulatory, Tax, and SEC accounting and reporting issues applicable to the functional area.
– Must reside in Southern California or be willing to relocate upon hire.
– We offer a hybrid work environment. Although the schedule may vary, typically this will allow you to work from the office two to three days per week and work remotely on the remaining workdays.
– Master’s Degree Advanced degree in Accounting, Finance or related field is desirable.
– Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Management Accountant (CMA) and/or other professional certificates.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
HYBRID: Work a combination of onsite and remote days each week, typically 2-3 days per week.