SDG&E is an innovative San Diego-based energy company that provides clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people it serves in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The company is committed to creating a sustainable future by providing its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure the reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE).
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
For more information, visit SDGEnews.com or connect with SDG&E on Twitter (@SDGE), Instagram (@SDGE) and Facebook.
Working with a team of dedicated regulatory attorneys and staff under the direction of the General Counsel and/or Assistant General Counsel, this Senior Counsel position is primarily responsible for leading and administering the provision of complex regulatory law services for various business units within SDG&E, with a focus on practice before the California Public Utilities Commission. In light of California’s rapidly evolving policies related to renewable energy, greenhouse gas reduction, wildfire safety, and grid modernization, this position offers an exciting opportunity to help shape and guide SDG&E’s mission to be the cleanest, safest, and most reliable utility in the country.
To develop, coordinate, lead and administer the provision of complex regulatory law services for various business units, under the direction of the General Counsel and/or Assistant General Counsel.
Duties and Responsibilities:
– Represent SDG&E in a variety of regulatory proceedings, including hearings before administrative law judges, that involve defending company witnesses and cross-examining witnesses for other parties.
– Provide legal and strategic advice on highly complex regulatory issues, including both technical and policy-based issues; this work often involves working with other legal departments.
– Prepare memos, briefs, motions, comments, affidavits, and various legal pleadings and documents as directed or as required for assigned cases or material transactions; maintain related document files and legal correspondence.
– Interact regularly with different groups within the company (e.g., engineering, accounting, rate design, customer programs, procurement, safety) as well as with executives and upper management.
– May include supervision and training responsibility for less experienced attorneys.
– Perform other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
– Requires a bachelor’s degree and J.D.
– Member in good standing with the California Bar or certification to practice in California.
– Eight years of relevant experience, including practice as in-house counsel before regulatory agencies and/or as outside counsel representing clients before such agencies
– Requires ability to independently lead/handle complex legal matters.
– Admission to the California Bar, and a member in good standing
– Must reside in Southern California or be willing to relocate upon hire.
– We offer a hybrid work environment. Although the schedule may vary, typically this will allow you to work from the office two to three days per week and work remotely on the remaining workdays.
– Demonstrated ability to independently handle major regulatory proceedings strongly desirable.
– Experience in the utility industry is desirable.
– Experience as an environmental attorney or litigator representing companies in complex matters is highly desirable.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
HYBRID: Work a combination of onsite and remote days each week, typically 2-3 days per week.
Posting End Date
May 4, 2023
$175,400.00 – $292,900.00
Total Rewards Philosophy
Note: SDG&E strives to ensure that employees are paid equitably and competitively. Starting salaries may vary based on factors such as relevant experience, qualifications, and education.
SDG&E offers a competitive total rewards package that goes beyond base salary. This position is eligible for an annual performance-based incentive (bonus) as well as other merit-based recognition. Company benefits include health and welfare (medical, dental, vision), employer contributions to retirement benefits, life insurance, paid time off, as well as other company offerings such as tuition reimbursement, paid parental leave, and employee assistance programs.