Position Title: Controller Posting Date: 4/6/2018
Position Reports to: Chief Financial Officer Employment Category: Exempt
Department: Finance Department #: 11
The Controller will oversee all accounting functions as well as oversee financial activities including maximizing financial assets by establishing and overseeing financial policies, procedures, controls, and reporting systems.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Responsible for the oversight (both supervision and reporting) of all accounting functions including but not limited to the A/P, A/R, G/L functions.
• Develop Finance personnel’s technical and management skills.
• Enhance external and internal financial reporting process, as required.
• Develop, and/or update finance and accounting policies and procedures manual.
• Perform month-end financial analysis and reconciliation of selected account balances, as required.
• Guides financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing fiscal policies and procedures.
• Protects assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing related internal controls.
• Monitors and confirms financial condition by conducting internal audits and providing information to external auditors.
• Prepares budgets by establishing schedules; collecting, analyzing, and consolidating financial data; recommending plans.
• Achieves budget objectives by scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions.
• Provides status of financial condition by collecting, interpreting, and reporting financial data.
• Prepares special reports as requested/required by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
• Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; filing financial and payroll tax reports.
• Maintains financial staff job results by coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
• Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing professional networks; participating in business societies.
• Protects operations by keeping financial information and plans confidential.
• Other duties as assigned on an as needed or requested basis by executive management.
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities for this position at any time.
Qualifications & Skills
REQUIRED EDUCATION / CERTIFICATIONS:
• Bachelor’s degree (BA, BS, BBA) with an Accounting concentration.
• Associated Degree in Accounting with 7+ years applicable working experience.
EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS / SKILLS
• Previous 5+ experience as a Controller, Assistant Controller, or Senior Accountant.
• A senior-level understanding of GAAP and Federal Government Accounting practice and applied theory.
• Previous hands-on experience with governmental/fund/grant accounting.
• Strong working knowledge of MIP accounting system software.
• Minimum 3-years of professional supervision experience.
• Intermediate-level experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Excellent organizational skills, with ability to change priorities, as required.
Individuals who are interested for consideration for the above position should email their resume to email@example.com or submit application to 16400 Kumeyaay Way, Valley Center, CA 92082
Closing Date: Until filled.
In accordance with the Policies and Procedures, San Pasqual Band of Mission Indians will at all times and for all positions gives hiring, transfers and promotional preferences to qualified applicants in the following order: 1. San Pasqual Band of Mission Indians Members. 2. First generation Lineal Descendant or the legal spouse of an enrolled Tribal Member who contributes to the household 3. San Pasqual Band of Mission Indians Lineal descendants. 4. Other American Indians. 5. All Others