Are you a career nonprofit administrator with a passion for sustainability? Does keeping a busy executive office running smoothly and efficiently spark joy for you? Are you someone with exceptional cultural agility and diplomacy skills and looking for an opportunity to bring your talent to a top-notch team that serves a global network of sustainability professionals? If so, this might be the opportunity for you! USDN Is recruiting an Executive Office Manager and Corporate Secretary to support our Executive Director, Board of Directors, and Leadership Team.
The Urban Sustainability Directors Network (USDN) supports local governments to implement bold change in pursuit of equitable and sustainable communities. It does this by building the capacity of local governments to act, scaling promising practices and solutions, and harnessing data and insights to advance and influence the field. The heart of USDN’s work is a network of local government sustainability professionals from over 250 cities and counties across the United States and Canada dedicated to creating a healthy environment, advancing racial equity, and building thriving and resilient communities. USDN is powered by a distributed team of 20 people that work together across the United States, and a robust network of trusted partners and collaborators. USDN believes that a diverse, inclusive, and equity-centered climate movement is essential to achieving our ambitious goals for just, resilient, carbon neutral communities. Our work prioritizes those who experience the most vulnerability to climate change, disproportionate exposure to environmental injustice, and the biggest barriers to benefiting from climate solutions.
USDN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage applications from qualified people of all gender expressions and identities, sexual orientations, racialized communities, Indigenous persons and persons with disabilities. Should you require accommodations through the application process, please let us know.
The Executive Office Manager & Corporate Secretary provides dedicated support to USDN’s executive team, coordinates key governance and compliance components, and facilitates key organization-wide coordination tasks. This senior-level administrative position is a vital role within USDN that requires an excellent command of all functions of nonprofit corporate administration and a highly developed sense of diplomacy, tact, and cultural agility.
This position manages a variety of organizational and administrative responsibilities which include supporting the USDN board of directors, managing the executive office, and providing general administrative support. This position provides high-level clerical and administrative support for the Executive Office and Board of Directors of USDN. This position helps to compile meeting materials, completes expense reports, prepares correspondence, maintains filing systems, completes recordkeeping, attends board and committee meetings, and arranges for meeting facilities, meals, and travel. This position serves as the recording secretary for the Board and maintains permanent records of minutes and resolutions. This position may also provide phone and email reception for the Executive Office, as needed, and assists with a variety of essential tactical tasks organizationally.
Executive Office Management (40% of time)
- Build, improve on, and maintain annual organizational calendars in support of business planning and reporting cycles.
- Manage budget for Executive Office.
- Provide support for executive functions including drafting correspondence, conducting research, running reports,
- completing special projects, etc.
- At the direction of the Executive Director:
- Coordinate regular communications with fiscally sponsored programs.
- Facilitate relationships between the Board and advisory bodies and staff.
- Facilitate information sharing between the Board and advisory bodies and staff.
- Facilitate relationships and information sharing across all programs and advisory bodies to build a shared understanding and identity across the organization.
Governance Support (~30% of time)
- Coordinate and calendar activities related to the organization’s annual planning cycle and governance calendar.
- Provide administrative support for governance activities including scheduling and planning, organizing agendas, material preparations, recording minutes, and record keeping.
- Ensure minutes are drafted and approved and action steps following each meeting are assigned to the appropriate staff members.
- Assist the Executive office in tracking and responding to action items.
- Coordinate the distribution of agendas, minutes, and updates to staff, advisory committees, and partners.
- Post and maintain content on the board website.
- Organize new board and officer orientation and assist in identification of board assessment and development activities.
- Ensure timely on-boarding, preparation and ongoing support.
- Organize and support Board subcommittees. Oversee preparations including scheduling and planning, agenda setting, material preparations, and processes. Subcommittees might include Finance, Personnel, Strategy and Performance.
- Develop mechanisms to obtain Board feedback and evaluations.
Administrative Support (30% of time)
- Proactively manage calendaring and scheduling needs for Executive Leadership.
- Complete administrative tasks in support of Executive leadership including: completing expense reports, filing reimbursements, booking travel, taking notes, etc.
- Ensuring the relationship between the Executive Office and the USDN broader staff is positive and supportive.Position
- A minimum of 5 years experience in similar job functions.
- Deep understanding of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion principles and demonstrable commitment to equity in personal and professional settings.
- Cultural agility, and a commitment to cultivate and maintain awareness of equity skills and competencies and their application to operational responsibilities.
- A strong attention to detail and ability to organize the details in service of the bigger picture.
- Experience tending to and implementing complex administrative and business planning processes and systems.
- Experience providing administrative and business coordination support to a diverse team.
- Experience with organizational development and governance, preferably in a non-profit or member-service organization.
- Experience in coordinating and improving executive business processes.
- Project management experience and aptitude.
- High level of communication skills – interpersonal, written, and verbal.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with staff, governing bodies, partners, and stakeholders to work in conjunction with them to ensure smooth operation of projects and processes.
- Proficiency in key office systems and software applications including Google Suite, Zoom, and Slack. Proficiency in Salesforce and Monday.com or other project management software preferred.
- Ability to work with a corporate office schedule that will take place primarily in the PST time zone.
Application Requirements: We request a cover letter and resume detailing your experience and qualifications for the position. As a position that requires attention to detail and excellent communication skills, your application materials serve as a sample of your approach to professional writing and correspondence. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Priority will be given to applications received by October 7th. Should you require accommodations through the application process, please let us know. Apply here: https://usdn.breezy.hr/p/2d0e7cabebfd-executive-office-manager-corporate-secretary?state=published
Terms of Employment: This is a full-time, non-exempt position that reports to USDN’s Executive Director. The compensation range for this position is $60,000 -$70,000 annually. USDN offers a robust benefits package, including 100% employer-covered health, dental, disability, and life insurance, a flexible leave policy, generous paid leave, and 401(k) program. This is a fully remote, work-from-home position.
Location: This is a fully remote, work-from-home position. USDN has no central office but staff collaborate extensively via video call meetings. The candidates must furnish their own quiet office space for conference calls. USDN provides a computer, and IT stipend to cover internet and phone, software, and other home office supplies. Regular office hours are 9am-5pm Eastern, Central, Mountain, or Pacific Standard Times (flexible); 40 hours/week. Given the operations of USDN in the US and Canada, candidates must be flexible to work outside regular office hours as necessary. The ideal candidate will be able to support an executive office that works during Pacific Standard Time.
Please note that while our application tracking system lists this position as being located in Seattle Washington, we do not have an office in Seattle and we do not expect candidates to be located there. This recruitment is open to any qualified candidates located anywhere in the US or Canada that are willing to work a schedule that will be organized according to Pacific Standard Time.
About Urban Sustainability Directors Network
USDN brings local government sustainability practitioners together to learn, collaborate, and accelerate the work of local sustainability. By equipping them with the knowledge, resources, and partnerships they need to succeed, USDN helps advance change locally in member communities as well as across the field of practice. The aggregate impact and influence of our collective work makes an equitable, resilient, and sustainable society more attainable.