VETERANS BENEFITS COUNSELOR -Click here to apply on Company site.
Address: Northern Arizona Region, Remote – within a 50-mile radius of the Hopi/Navajo, AZ areas
- Job Summary:
- This position provides in-person and virtual counseling services to service members, veterans, eligible dependents and their survivors to ensure receipt of federal and state veteran related benefits under existing laws. Duties include assisting clients with applying for compensation, pension, burial, education, home loan guaranty certificate, medical and other federal and state benefits; initiating appeals pertaining to U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) decisions; applying for survivors’ benefits; applying for Special Monthly Compensation (SMC) benefits; submitting requests for military service and medical records; assisting with military discharge upgrades; visiting clients in their homes, hospitals, nursing facilities, prisons, veterans’ courts and other institutions in order to provide veteran benefit assistance to those requiring special accommodations, when approved by supervisor; and performing other job-related duties as assigned. This position requires the ability to become accredited by the VA. This position requires participation in the Arizona Management System (AMS}, including learning, implementing and monitoring AMS methods, and using AMS concepts and tools for problem solving and continuous work/process improvements and efficiency. This position requires participation in outreach events as assigned, and requires driving on state business with occasional overnight or longer stays. **TELEWORK/TELECOMMUTING: This position may be as much as 80% home-based TELEWORK and as little as 20% participation in outreach events as assigned, and requires driving on state business with occasional overnight or longer stays.**
- The State of Arizona strives for a work culture that affords employees flexibility, autonomy, and trust. Across our many agencies, boards, commissions, many State employees participate in the State’s Remote Work Program and are able to work remotely in their homes, in offices, and in hoteling spaces. All work, including remote work, should be performed within Arizona, unless an exception is properly authorized in advance.
- Trains (virtually) and becomes accredited by the VA within six months of hire; conducts in person (occasionally) or virtual interviews and counsels clients regarding a variety of veteran related benefit entitlements under current federal and state law; assists clients with accurately completing benefit forms and gathering supporting documents; submits claims to the VA in a timely manner; monitors the claim through the VA process utilizing VA and other computer databases. Refers clients to other resources when indicated.
- Reviews claim files after a VA rating action to determine VA’s compliance with current laws, rules and regulations as outlined in U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims (CAVC) decisions, Title 38 Code of Federal Regulations and other federal resources (M-21, etc.); examines medical information including, but not limited to, service medical records (SMR’s), physical examinations, hospital reports, and post-operative reports, and compares the degree of residual disability with VA assignment for accuracy; initiates formal appellant proceedings and/or otherwise advises claimants to take specific action to obtain a proper rating, as necessary.
- Creates and maintains electronic client records and uploads documents into client files; prepares reports as requested by supervisor; maintains a safe working environment; operates office equipment; participates in outreach activities to disseminate agency information and services; drives on state business with occasional over night or longer stays.
- Attends all required education (virtually and in-person) and training to obtain and maintain accreditation; attends meetings with various VA and State personnel to keep abreast of policy changes and to offer input for process improvements; participates in the Arizona Management System (AMS) to ensure continuous improvement in agency processes.
- Participates in community outreach (virtually and in-person) activities to engage service members, veterans, their family members and citizens to disseminate information and offer agency services and referrals. This may include but is not limited to Stand Downs, Stand Ups, Veterans’ Courts, Pow Wows, Veteran organization meetings, Expos, Assisted Living facilities, Nursing Homes and other assigned outreach activities.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities (KSAs):
- Interviewing/counseling techniques
- Community resources for veteran referrals
- Needs and problems of disabled and disadvantaged veterans
- Judicial matters (appeals, hearings) as they relate to the VA
- Business English, including proper use of spelling and grammar
- General administrative/office procedures and practices
- Effective written and verbal communications
- Planning, organizing and time management
- Using a laptop computer and associated software (e.g. Google Suites, email, etc.)
- Using various types of office equipment (e.g., telephone, copier, scanner, printer, etc.)
- Composing general correspondence, including proper formatting
- Learn and apply Title 38 U.S.C. and Veterans Administration regulations and manuals, policies and procedures to claims
- Learn and apply other federal, state and local programs, as well as military specific programs to claims
- Learn and apply rules, regulations, policies and procedures of the agency
- Train and become accredited with the VA within six months of hire
- Provide high-quality customer service
- Establish and maintain interpersonal relationships with internal and external contacts
- Be patient and compassionate when interacting with clients and staff
- Learn proprietary database programs pertinent to assignment
- Speak professionally in the community regarding agency services and promote public interest
- Maintain confidentiality
- Learn the Arizona Management System
- Follow chain of command
- Work independently with minimal supervision
- Due to the nature of the position, preference will be given to veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces who have a military discharge under honorable conditions.
- This position requires the ability to obtain accreditation by the VA and certified proficient by the Arizona Department of Veterans Services within six (6) months from the date of hire, and thereafter obtain accreditation with the American Legion.
- Accreditation must be maintained through continuing education classes and conferences. Recertification is required every five (5) years.
- The position requires possession of and ability to retain a current, valid state-issued driver’s license. Employees who drive on state business are subject to driver’s license record checks, must maintain an acceptable driving record and must complete any required driver training (see Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.11.)
- This position requires the ability to pass an extensive background investigation by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and the ability to obtain a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) card through the VA.
The Arizona Department of Administration offers a comprehensive benefits package to include:
- Sick leave
- Vacation with 10 paid holidays per year
- Health and dental insurance
- Retirement plan
- Life insurance and long-term disability insurance
- Referral Incentives available for qualifying positions
- Optional employee benefits include short-term disability insurance, deferred compensation plans, and supplemental life insurance
By providing the option of a full-time or part-time remote work schedule, employees enjoy improved work/life balance, report higher job satisfaction, and are more productive. Remote work is a management option and not an employee entitlement or right. An agency may terminate a remote work agreement at its discretion.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
- Positions in this classification participate in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS).
- Please note, enrollment eligibility will become effective after 27 weeks of employment.
- If you have any questions please feel free to contact Human Resources at email@example.com and 602.781.7032 for assistance.