POSITION: Audience Development Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Marketing and Communications
WORK SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday; evenings and weekends required.
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, exempt; benefits eligible after 90 days’
Berkeley Repertory Theatre (Berkeley Rep), established in 1968, is one of the nation’s prominent theatrical institutions with a long, proud history of developing Broadway-bound productions such as Green Day’s American Idiot and Ain’t Too Proud—The Life and Times of the Temptations along with high caliber artists and comedians like Mike Birbiglia, John Leguizamo, and social commentator Fran Lebowitz.
Berkeley Rep is seeking a full-time audience development manager to identify, cultivate, and engage new audiences while also creating strategies to support current audiences in their patron journey. The ideal candidate has at least two years of experience in a sales role, with at least one year of experience in group sales or event management. We are seeking a self-starting team player that is creative and strategic about growing theatre audiences in size and diversity. The audience development manager reports to the director of marketing and communications and collaborates with box office, front of house, development, School of Theatre, and community engagement to develop, execute, and analyze ticketing and sales initiatives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Create and execute a group sales strategy that includes:
- Creating and nurturing relationships with prospective and current group sales clients.
- Managing and processing orders from group reservations, with assistance from box office.
- Create a seamless experience for groups at performances, with assistance from the front of house department.
- Event management of group experiences, with assistance from front of house.
- Collaborate with the marketing department to create ticket programs, promotions, and sales campaigns to attract, cultivate, retain, and steward patrons using research, data analysis, and relationship cultivation. Regularly review and analyze the efficacy of these initiatives, and adjust strategies as needed.
- Collaborate with all departments to identify potential new markets, and design sales and event programs that attract those audiences to Berkeley Rep.
- Create and execute a patron journey strategy for all potential and current audiences that reflects data points from all departments.
- Manage and produce special events that advance audience programs and strategies.
- Work with front of house and box office to create and manage VIP lists for Opening Nights and other special events.
- Network in the Bay Area as a Berkeley Rep ambassador to create and sustain strong ties with Berkeley Rep’s neighbors and community.
- Work with the front of house and development departments to build a strong network of event vendors to provide food and beverage, music, lighting and sound, and multimedia support.
- Actively participate in workshops and trainings as requested, including harassment prevention, bystander intervention, and other equity, diversity, inclusion, and access initiatives.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Qualifications and skills
- A minimum of two years of experience in a sales role, with at least one year of experience in group sales or event management.
- Exceptionally strong customer service, organizational, and multi-tasking skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with a high degree of emotional intelligence and cultural competency.
- Interest in and commitment to equity, diversity, access, and inclusion.
- Proactive and creative problem-solving with an ability to be both strategic and tactical when implementing solutions.
- Demonstrated ability and success in collaborating with internal and external teams, sometimes with competing priorities.
- Strong networking skills.
- Preference for a deadline-driven, detail-oriented, fast-paced environment.
- Proven ability to prioritize and manage projects and deadlines effectively.
- Experience with Microsoft products, including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, and SharePoint.
- An appreciation for the performing arts.
- Fully vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19.
- Experience with Tessiture, preferred.
Berkeley Rep is an equal opportunity employer and offers a full range of employee benefits including 85% employer-paid health and dental insurance, optional vision, FSA, and 403(b) plans, professional development support, paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
Position available immediately. Email submissions only. Please submit a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com with “audience development manager” in the subject line. Persons from diverse backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply.
Berkeley Rep will contact candidates of interest. Please, no calls or faxes. Only complete submissions will be considered.
About Berkeley Repertory Theatre
Berkeley Repertory Theatre has grown from a storefront stage to an international leader in innovative theatre. Known for its ambition, relevance, and excellence, as well as its adventurous audience, the nonprofit has provided a welcoming home for emerging and established artists since 1968. Over 5.5 million people have enjoyed nearly 500 shows at Berkeley Rep, which have gone on to win six Tony Awards, seven Obie Awards, nine Drama Desk Awards, one Grammy Award, one Pulitzer Prize, and many other honors. Berkeley Rep received the Tony Award for Outstanding Regional Theatre in 1997. To formalize, enhance, and expand the processes by which Berkeley Rep makes theatre, The Ground Floor: Berkeley Rep’s Center for the Creation and Development of New Work was launched in 2012. The Berkeley Rep School of Theatre engages and educates some 20,000 people a year and helps build the audiences of tomorrow with its nationally recognized teen programs. Berkeley Rep’s bustling facilities—which also include the 400-seat Peet’s Theatre, the 600-seat Roda Theatre, and a spacious campus in West Berkeley—are helping revitalize a renowned city.