POSITION: Company Manager
POSTING DATE: June 2021
REPORTS TO: General Manager
WORK SCHEDULE: 40 hours per week, Monday- Friday with evenings and weekends as needed
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, Exempt; benefits eligible after 90 days
COMPENSATION: $62,400; DOE
LOCATION: Berkeley, California
The Tony Award-winning Berkeley Repertory Theatre seeks a creative, welcoming, detail-oriented, and collaborative individual for the position of Company Manager. This role coordinates with the General Manager and Production team to plan for and meet the needs of visiting artists at the theatre while serving as the liaison for Berkeley Rep to guest artists and other outside constituents. The Company Manager also works as part of a team to determine and maintain show budgets, takes the lead in planning and executing company events, and is key in establishing a positive environment for both artists and staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Negotiate, draft and execute AEA contracts, and contracts for local swings and understudies.
- Process and track AEA, swing, and understudy HR paperwork, timesheets and payroll.
- Travel, Housing, and Hospitality:
- Arrange all artist travel, housing (including fellows), and local ground transportation as needed.
- Creates, update, and distribute itineraries and orientation information to all artists and fellows in a timely fashion.
- Schedule cleaning and maintenance personnel as necessary for all apartments.
- Maintain all budgets and records for travel and housing including but not limited to rent, utilities, telephone, maintenance, and parking.
- Coordinate and collaborate with General Manager and Production Manager to plan and execute projects.
- Manage arrangements for in-house company social events and gatherings.
- Maintain Berkeley Rep’s network of medical professionals.
- Advise Berkeley Rep during the construction phase of building a 40-unit complex for visiting artists. Once built, the Company Manager will help to develop and implement best practices for day-to-day operations.
- Work between 2 different campuses and multiple spaces, often in a single day. On call as needed.
- Support and contribute to organization-wide EDI goals and commitments.
- Mentor and supervise a full-time Company Management Fellow.
- Positively represent the organization and provide a welcoming and professional experience for external and internal constituencies.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- 2-3 years of experience in a regional theatre setting, with considerable preference given to prior experience as LORT Company Manager working within the LORT/AEA agreement.
- Valid California driver’s license.
- Computer literacy, with experience in Microsoft Office Suite, SharePoint and Outlook.
- A strong commitment to hospitality and artist service. Qualified candidates will genuinely enjoy working with artists.
- Exceptional conflict resolution and relationship building skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues across multiple departments, and with outside constituents to fulfill project needs.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Extremely detail-oriented and organized. Qualified candidates will thrive in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
Berkeley Rep is an equal opportunity employer and offers a full range of employee benefits including 85% employer-paid health and dental insurance, optional vision, FSA, and 403(b) plans, professional development support, paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
Position available immediately. Email submissions only. Please submit a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Company Manager” in the subject line. Persons from diverse backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply.
Berkeley Rep will contact candidates of interest. Please, no calls or faxes. Only complete submissions will be considered.
About Berkeley Repertory Theatre
Berkeley Repertory Theatre has grown from a storefront stage to an international leader in innovative theatre. Known for its ambition, relevance, and excellence, as well as its adventurous audience, the nonprofit has provided a welcoming home for emerging and established artists since 1968. Over 5.5 million people have enjoyed nearly 500 shows at Berkeley Rep, which have gone on to win six Tony Awards, seven Obie Awards, nine Drama Desk Awards, one Grammy Award, one Pulitzer Prize, and many other honors. Berkeley Rep received the Tony Award for Outstanding Regional Theatre in 1997. To formalize, enhance, and expand the processes by which Berkeley Rep makes theatre, The Ground Floor: Berkeley Rep’s Center for the Creation and Development of New Work was launched in 2012. The Berkeley Rep School of Theatre engages and educates some 20,000 people a year and helps build the audiences of tomorrow with its nationally recognized teen programs. Berkeley Rep’s bustling facilities—which also include the 400-seat Peet’s Theatre, the 600-seat Roda Theatre, and a spacious campus in West Berkeley—are helping revitalize a renowned city.