Position: Policy Associate
Office Location: Sacramento
Type: Full-Time Exempt
About California Trout:
California Trout (CalTrout) is a highly recognized and effective 501(c)3 conservation organization headquartered in San Francisco. For over 50 years, CalTrout has championed a remarkable number of initiatives focused on solving complex resource issues that balance the needs of fish and people. CalTrout has six regionally based offices located in key geographies where wild fish influence local communities. Our professional staff drives innovative, science-based solutions that work for the diverse interests of fish, farms, commerce and the community. CalTrout is backed by a passionate Board of Directors, along with highly committed donors and a strong membership base.
CalTrout is an Equal Opportunity Employer and our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects CalTrout’s mission is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
The history of CalTrout is marked with legislative achievements from the California Wild and Scenic Rivers Act passage to playing a key role in passing recreational marijuana legislation that includes tax benefits for environmental remediation in 2016. CalTrout looks forward to bringing in a new member of our team to help build on our legacy of advocacy.
CalTrout’s Policy Associate will support CalTrout’s organizational goals where regulatory change, public funding needs, agency relationship building, partnership development, and other policy related actions would add to CalTrout’s success. The Policy Associate will track what is happening in natural resources and water policy in Sacramento, meet with legislative champions, coordinate with CalTrout regional directors to ensure implementation of their policy objectives, and make strategic decisions.
The Policy Associate will work under CalTrout’s Staff Attorney, and together will develop and implement CalTrout’s advocacy agenda in coordination with CalTrout’s Sacramento based political consultants. This entails a detailed review of the previous year’s legislative cycle, close coordination with CalTrout’s Regional Directors to understand their policy needs, the ability to be flexible as opportunities arise and shift during the legislative cycle, and the ability to draw from experience in the environmental sector to make quick but informed decisions.
The Policy Associate must register as lobbyist in California and should be prepared to meet with agency and legislative officials, engage in speaking events on behalf of CalTrout, and be a fervent advocate for CalTrout’s mission and goals.
The Policy Associate position is based in Sacramento and the hire will be expected to work from CalTrout’s Sacramento office. However, until the state Capitol building allows for regular visitation policies for lobbyists the Policy Associate will be encouraged to work from home.
– Reporting and writing: The Policy Associate must have excellent writing skills and the ability to analyze legislative and agency publications for crucial information. Writing and reporting expectations include quick analysis of bills, budget change petitions, agency and executive statements, and any other materials pertinent to CalTrout’s policy. The Policy Associate will be expected to:
o Draft bi-monthly written updates for publication in CalTrout’s membership outreach in coordination with CalTrout’s communications team
o Assist in written grant applications, presentations, and reports to funders in coordination with CalTrout’s development team
o Assist in drafting CalTrout’s yearly policy agenda and report in coordination with CalTrout’s Staff Attorney
o Regularly report to CalTrout staff on advocacy updates
– Political Consultant Coordination: Policy Associate will coordinate closely with our outside political consultants, who will assist on lobbying reporting requirements, scheduling of appointments, support and opposition letters, and general implementation of CalTrout’s policy agenda.
– Lobbying: Effectively advocate for CalTrout’s interests as a key member of CalTrout’s policy team in the state capitol building.
– Program Management: Ability to manage multiple projects and timelines concurrently. Managing the department budget and government grants.
– Participate and Organize Legislative Events: CalTrout leads at least two legislative events each year where we bring legislative staff and legislators on educational fieldtrips throughout the state to encourage a deeper understanding of conservation management. The Policy Associate will be expected to participate in and help lead these events.
Education and Experience Requirements:
– Bachelor or graduate degree in environmental science, natural resources management, conservation biology, fisheries ecology, and/or public policy
– Demonstrated experience in advocacy and public policy working in natural resource issues in California
– Experience working with state/federal agencies and knowledge of government workings, and of federal and state laws that affect California’s fisheries and watersheds
– Superior verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to articulate complex conservation issues and California Trout’s mission and goals to a wide range of audiences
– Working knowledge of computers and software including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Microsoft Project
– Strong project management skills
– Professionalism and excellent communication skills
– Self-starter with a strong sense of ownership and the ability to direct their own work
– Commitment to the principles of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice and an open excitement to work for a mission driven organization that values internal collaboration and fostering a positive work culture where a talented and diverse mix of people want to do their best work.
How to apply
– Email Cover Letter and Resume to Redgie Collins, Staff Attorney, at firstname.lastname@example.org adding “Policy Associate” to the subject line. Applications should be received by 2/24/2021.
– Salary is commensurate with experience, but starts at $60,000 per year with excellent benefits.
CalTrout strongly embraces diversity and inclusion principles throughout our organization. Our organization recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status. CalTrout seeks to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, to stay and do their best work.