Canyon Courier Reporter
About Colorado Community Media
CCM is a network of 23 weekly and monthly newspapers in Colorado spread across much of the Denver metro area, and neighboring counties including Adams, Arapahoe, Clear Creek, Douglas County, Elbert, and Jefferson. The family of papers includes publications with more than 100 years of history serving these communities. In May of this year, the company was bought by partner owners the National Trust for Local News and The Colorado Sun.
Reporter (Canyon Courier)
Colorado Community Media seeks a general assignment reporter who can do it all. If you can write strong news stories and compelling features, take solid photographs, and are comfortable using digital tools, then you might be a good fit for our newsroom. A passion for community journalism inspired by storytelling and public service is essential for a successful candidate. Self-motivation and excellent time-management skills are a must. We are a group of weekly newspapers, but we operate with a daily mindset, so you must be proficient under pressure, and apt at meeting deadlines.
- Reporting directly to the West Metro Editor for Colorado Community Media and working collaboratively with the rest of the west metro team of reporters.
- Generating a weekly coverage plan for designated communities, and then producing roughly six stories for each edition.
- Working with the west metro editor to refine their weekly story lists and then reporting on, and photographing, those stories.
- Common story topics in a week would include meeting coverage and analysis from community boards and organizations, coverage and photos from significant community events, breaking news reporting, 1-2 sports stories a week, culture features, business features, and longer-term investigative stories work.
- Updating the Canyon Courier website and posting stories to the publication’s social media accounts.
- Self-motivation and excellent time-management skills are a must.
- We are a group of weekly newspapers, but we operate with a daily mindset, so you must be proficient under pressure, and apt at meeting deadlines.
- Experience with content management systems and social media platforms
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred but not required.
- Two years of experience at a daily or weekly community newspaper is preferred, but talented recent college graduates will be considered.
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Holiday, vacation, and sick pay
Salary range: $15-$17/hr.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Embracing diversity is a core value of the Colorado Community Media. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds, ages, economic circumstances, ethnicity, gender expression, marital status, national origin, religion, and sexual orientation to apply.
How to apply:
Please email your resume, cover letter, and three published writing clips to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Canyon Courier Reporter” in the subject line.
This position was posted on behalf of Colorado Community Radio by the Open Media Foundation.