Biology Assistant Professor
Posting Number: F00791
Location: Diablo Valley College
Salary: $65,088 – $99,876 per year
Description of Position:
Diablo Valley College inspires, educates, and empowers a diverse community of students to transform their lives and their communities. To help further this work, DVC seeks a tenure-track biology instructor to start in August 2022. We are looking for a colleague who will demonstrate discipline expertise and show sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic backgrounds and abilities of community college students. We are looking for instructors who share a strong commitment to social and racial justice and who use or are inspired to use anti-racist pedagogies that close equity gaps by recognizing, understanding, and respecting the perspectives of all students. We strongly encourage those with historically marginalized and/or underrepresented identities to apply, including people of color, non-binary and transgender individuals, women, and Indigenous people. The Biology Department of Diablo Valley College, Pleasant Hill campus is seeking an engaged, equity-minded, and student-focused colleague as a full-time tenure track assistant professor to begin August 2022. The successful applicant will teach human anatomy. Demonstrated knowledge in human anatomy and/or proficiency, enthusiasm, and/or experience in teaching human anatomy is expected as is the commitment to perform and lead students in cadaver dissections and prosections. The successful candidate will also demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic backgrounds, and abilities of community college students.
Position Status: Tenure- Track
EEO Job Category: Faculty & Other Instructional Staff
Employee Group: Full-Time Faculty
Department: D3505-Biological Sciences
Duties and Responsibilities:
In addition to contractual duties, all full-time faculty are expected to participate actively in their disciplines, department activities, and the general intellectual life and governance of the college. Part of the teaching assignment may be in the evening and/or online. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
1. advancing equitable student learning through dedicated, exemplary instruction in accordance with established course outlines;
2. participating in the assessment of student learning outcomes for courses and programs; developing and implementing student learning outcomes assessment processes for courses and programs;
3. collaborating in the development and revision of curriculum and in program review;
4. engaging in department program improvement initiatives;
5. participating in department, division, and college committees;
6. participating in professional development activities, both departmental and college-wide;
7. maintaining current knowledge in the subject matter area and effective teaching/ learning strategies;
8. maintaining appropriate standards of professional conduct and ethics;
9. informing students of course requirements, evaluation procedures and attendance requirements;
10. preparing and grading class assignments and examinations and informing students of their academic progress;
11. maintaining attendance, scholastic, and personnel records and submitting them according to published deadlines;
12. posting and holding sufficient and regular office hours in accordance with prevailing policy;
13. participating in College’s shared governance processes.
Understanding of and sensitivity to the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, sexual orientation and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, staff and faculty.
The applicant must possess one of the following qualifications (earned degrees must be from an accredited college/university): Master’s degree in any Biological Science OR
Bachelor’s degree in any Biological Science AND Master’s degree in biochemistry, biophysics, or marine science
The equivalent. If you do not possess the EXACT minimum qualifications (i.e. you do not possess the exact degree listed) and believe that you meet the minimum qualifications via equivalency, please fill out the equivalency petition form in the document section of the online application. Additionally, if you are unsure that you meet the minimum qualifications, please fill out the equivalency petition.
Highly qualified candidates will possess knowledge, skills, and experience that address the desirable qualifications below. Responses to the supplemental questions below allow the applicant to describe how they meet these qualifications.
• Demonstrated commitment to student learning and to the success of all students in the open-access learning environment of a community college.
• Demonstrated ability and/or commitment to reducing equity gaps in biology courses, in our department and college-wide.
• Committed to addressing issues of inclusion both in and out of the classroom.
• Master’s degree (MA or MS) or Doctoral degree (PhD) in any biological science.
• Demonstrated knowledge in biology and/or proficiency, enthusiasm, and/or experience in teaching college-level biology courses.
• Demonstrated knowledge in human anatomy and/or proficiency, enthusiasm, and/or experience in teaching human anatomy.
• Commitment to perform and lead students in cadaver dissections and prosections.
• Experience developing effective and engaging approaches for teaching in both lecture and laboratory.
• Willing and able to teach in a variety of formats, including online and hybrid, face-to-face, double sections, etc.
• Clear and engaging written and oral communication skills.
• Committed to contributing to department and division tasks outside the classroom.
• An interest and ability to work within the department, division, and college community to achieve the goals outlined in the Educational Master Plan, which focuses on excellence, institutional effectiveness, student learning and achieving equity in educational outcomes across student demographic groups. See Educational Master Plan:
Job Open Date: 10/11/2021
Job Close Date: 12/12/2021
Open Until Filled: No
Employment Begins: August, 2022
# of Months: 10
To apply, visit: https://apptrkr.com/2570001
The Contra Costa Community College District does not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, or sexual orientation. This prohibition against unlawful discrimination extends to any person who is perceived to have any of the above characteristics or who is associated with someone who has, or who is perceived to have, any of those characteristics.
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.