Posting Number: F00953
Location: Los Medanos College
Description of Position:
The Puente Counselor serves as a Co-Coordinator of the Puente Program and works in collaboration with the Puente English Faculty Co-Coordinator. The Puente program annually serves approx. 180 students, with a special emphasis on the new cohorts of 60 students who join the program each fall. Major aspects of the position include providing direct student counseling for all Puente students, teaching personal development courses for the program, coordinating co-curricular activities, conducting program recruitment, and completing reporting.
For questions, please contact Eileen Valenzuela in the Office of Instruction via email email@example.comThe college is closed for semester break from December 21, 2022 through January 2,2023. Inquires during this period will be answered after the college reopens on January 3, 2023.
Position Status: Tenure- Track
EEO Job Category: Faculty & Other Instructional Staff
Employee Group: Full-Time Faculty
Department: L1110-Counseling Office
Duties and Responsibilities:
In addition to contractual duties for this position which will include counseling and program coordination, all faculty are expected to participate actively in their disciplines, in their departmental activities and in the general intellectual life and governance of the college. Part of the counseling assignment may be in the evening program. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
1. assisting students with decision-making and the exploration of their educational, career, and personal goals;
2. working with students to develop educational plans;
3. adhering to the schedule that has been developed with the Department Chairpersons, which may include individual student appointments, drop-in assignments, workshops, and weekend and/or evening assignments;
4. collaborating with instructional faculty in support of the goals of the institution;
5. participating in the college governance process, including attendance at all department and division meetings, and serve on college wide committees;
6. promoting the philosophy that integrates counseling and mentoring to support student learning;
7. participating in required training and activities such as conferences, regional meetings, outreach, orientations for students, community activities & social/cultural events, field trips, mentorship, advisory groups, etc.;
8. participating in professional development activities, both departmental and college-wide;
9. creating a positive environment that provides students with the support/motivation likely to enable them to transfer;
10. maintaining current knowledge of counseling techniques and other effective student support intervention strategies;
11. engaging in outreach targeting feeder high schools and community groups;
12. maintaining appropriate standards of professional conduct and ethics;
13. performing other related duties as assigned.
Understanding of and sensitivity to the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, sexual orientation and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, staff and faculty.
Master’s in counseling, rehabilitation counseling, clinical psychology, counseling psychology, guidance counseling, educational counseling, social work, career development, marriage and family therapy or marriage, family and child counseling,
OR the equivalent.
(NOTE: A bachelor’s degree in one of the listed degrees and a license as a Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) is an alternative qualification for this discipline.)
DQ#1: Ability to effectively coordinate a complex cohort program
DQ#2: Ability to provide culturally relevant and culturally responsive counseling, instruction, and student support focused on the Latinx student experience
DQ#3: Ability to establish strong connection and supportive working relationships with first generation and Latinx students
DQ#4: Ability to successfully plan events and activities including tasks such as recruitment, marketing, event planning, and program development.
DQ#5: Ability to apply creativity and innovation to co-curricular student engagement and supporting equitable student success, including the effective use of technology
Job Open Date: 12/09/2022
Job Close Date: 2/1/2023
Open Until Filled: No
Employment Begins: August 2023
# of Months: 12
To apply, visit: https://apptrkr.com/3823429
The Contra Costa Community College District does not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, or sexual orientation. This prohibition against unlawful discrimination extends to any person who is perceived to have any of the above characteristics or who is associated with someone who has, or who is perceived to have, any of those characteristics.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.