Adjunct Instructor- Becoming a College Scholar, a First Year Seminar (TEMPORARY)
Posting Number: F00874
Location: Los Medanos College
Description of Position:
Los Medanos College is seeking energetic and dedicated candidates to apply for the position of Adjunct Instructor for the College’s first year seminar- Becoming a College Scholar (ACS-010), and to join a college committed to academic excellence and diversity, equity and inclusion among its faculty, staff, and students.
This position would primarily be responsible for teaching the College’s First Year Seminar course (ACS-010: Becoming a College Scholar). Some sections of the course are taught in collaboration with learning communities and programs while others are open to all college students.
Becoming a College Scholar – a First-Year Seminar introduces first-year students into intellectual life, prepares them for rigorous university-level work, develops multidisciplinary thinking skills, and supports them in developing a strong sense of academic purpose and identity. The course explores topics such as motivation and attitudes, values, goal setting, decision-making processes, critical and creative thinking, personal health, interpersonal communication, study group collaboration, behavioral expectations and etiquette, personality and learning theories, cultural and economic diversity, information and technology competence, as well as techniques for maximizing the ability to succeed as a lifelong learner. Students will develop thinking strategies that can be used for lifelong problem solving in academic, social, and personal life. There is an emphasis on the development of academic writing, research inquiry, and collaboration.
David Belman, Dean of Student Success, email@example.com
Position Status: Temporary
EEO Job Category: Faculty & Other Instructional Staff
Employee Group: Part-Time Faculty
Department: L1050-Student Services
Duties and Responsibilities:
Adjunct Faculty duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
1. providing instruction in accordance with established curriculum, course outlines and class schedules;
2. creating and maintaining an environment which emphasizes learning, encourages free discussion of ideas and critical thinking;
3. evaluating progress of students concerning educational matters and grades student work;
4. meeting with students outside of class;
5. maintaining appropriate standards of professional conduct and ethics;
6. maintaining current knowledge in the subject matter areas;
7. fulfilling professional responsibilities of a part-time/temporary faculty member;
8. maintaining accurate academic records;
9. performing other related duties as assigned.
Understanding of and sensitivity to the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, sexual orientation and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, staff and faculty.
Minimum qualification in one of the following disciplines:
• Administration of Justice
• Computer Science
• Communication Studies
• Early Childhood Education
• English as a Second Language
• Ethnic Studies
• Interdisciplinary Studies
• Library Sciences
• Political Science
• Social Science
Job Open Date: 06/10/2022
Job Close Date:
Open Until Filled: Yes
Employment Begins: August 2022
# of Months: Varies
To apply, visit: https://apptrkr.com/3822709
The Contra Costa Community College District does not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, or sexual orientation. This prohibition against unlawful discrimination extends to any person who is perceived to have any of the above characteristics or who is associated with someone who has, or who is perceived to have, any of those characteristics.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.