ECONorthwest, the Pacific Northwest’s largest economic consulting firm, has an immediate opening for a full-time Economic Analyst (Associate-level) to support our work in applied economic analysis. Associates work closely with Project Directors and Project Managers to execute tasks including client coordination, methodology development, data analysis, and writing. The ideal candidate will have a track record of academic and/or professional success, as well as experience completing projects to answer questions related to applied economic analyses. Assignment to specific projects will depend on the skills and interests of the Associate as well as the firm’s project support needs. For examples of past ECONorthwest projects please see our website: econw.com/projects
The core competencies needed for this role include organization, self-direction, team coordination, and expertise in applied economic methods. Associates are expected to work with some degree of autonomy and may be primarily responsible for delivering smaller projects under the guidance of a Project Director and/or a Project Manager. Associates also work closely with the firm’s Research Analysts to collect and clean data and perform analyses.
The position will be full-time and will be located in our Portland, Oregon or Seattle, Washington offices. Due to the ongoing pandemic, we anticipate that the selected candidate would start as a remote employee but would be expected to transition to working from an ECONorthwest office, at least part time, once normal office operations resume. The anticipated start date for this position is August 2nd, 2021, with flexibility for an earlier or later start date if needed.
ECONorthwest is committed to the work of improving its diversity and inclusiveness as a workplace. Our best work draws on teams within and beyond ECONorthwest who have diverse backgrounds and experiences that reflect the multifaceted communities we work in. Thus, we encourage applicants who would expand the diversity of lived experiences within our team and who share our values and commitments to advancing equity through research and data justice.
Application Deadline: Applications will close on June 25th, 2021. We anticipate that we will hold interviews starting the week of July 5th, 2021.
We recommend that your resume, cover letter, and/or writing sample address these required qualifications to the fullest extent possible.
- Master’s Degree in Economics or a related field OR Bachelor’s Degree in Economics or related field with a minimum of 2 years of economic project experience
- Familiarity with benefit-cost analysis, regional economic analysis, regulatory and fiscal impact analysis, and/or cost modeling.
- Proficiency in applied econometric and other statistical methods and associated analytical tools (familiarity with coding in software such as Stata, R, or Python is preferred).
- Ability to synthesize complex information from a variety of economics, public policy, and other social science disciplines.
- Applied experience writing technical reports and communicating results to a variety of audiences
- Experience working in a team-oriented environment, but capable of autonomy
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
Other Desirable Qualifications
- Public speaking skills, networking skills, and the ability to represent the firm in public with integrity and business acumen
- Familiarity with public data sources (e.g., U.S. Census Data, Bureau of Economic Analysis, USDA agricultural statistics, population forecasts, etc.), and an understanding of their limitations and biases.
- Experience working with administrative datasets
- Project management experience
- Consulting experience
- Applied experience using Stata, R, or similar statistical program for data analysis and visualization
- Applied experience with GIS, QGIS, or similar geospatial program
- Familiarity with input-output modelling and associated software (e.g., IMPLAN, REMI)
Location: Portland, Oregon or Seattle, Washington
Salary and Benefits
The salary for this full-time exempt position is $66,000 to $78,000 per year, depending on candidate experience and commensurate with market rates. This position is eligible for full company benefits including medical/dental/vision/life/disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, 401(k), and paid holidays.
Required Application Materials
All materials (aside from essay questions) should be submitted in PDF format. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about these requirements. We recommend that your resume, cover letter, and/or writing sample address the required qualifications directly and to the fullest extent possible.
- Cover Letter (1 page limit). Please address in the cover letter how your personal and professional experiences can help ECONorthwest deliver high quality products to our clients.
- Writing sample (upload as “Any Additional Files” attachment). In this writing sample we are looking for evidence of your ability to communicate economic or environmental policy concepts to a non-technical audience. We prefer writing samples that have not been heavily edited by others.
- (Optional) List of relevant courses taken in college or elsewhere. This may be a college transcript or a list of courses, descriptions, and where you took them.
ECONorthwest provides independent, insightful, and relevant analyses that strengthen policy and investment decisions. Since 1974, ECONorthwest has served a diverse range of public and private sector clients across the United States: business management and labor unions; conservationists and energy companies; public planning departments and private developers; litigation plaintiffs and defendants. Our studies are conducted by staff vetted for strong economic, financial, and policy evaluative skills. We are passionate about improving the economic and living conditions in the communities we serve. We do this through thoughtful economic analysis, informed by the multiple perspectives of those affected by our work and policy recommendations. By committing to active engagement in the areas of equity, diversity, and inclusion, we are able to pose sharper questions, elicit deeper insights, design better solutions, and deliver more value to our clients.