ECONorthwest, the Pacific Northwest’s largest economic consulting firm, has an immediate opening for a full-time Policy/Planning Analyst to support our work in spatial analysis and map production in a policy and planning context. This position’s internal title would be a Technical Manager. Technical Managers are part of the ECONorthwest Data Analytics team, working collaboratively with project teams, the Director of Data Analytics, and other Technical Managers to deliver aspects of project work and other assigned tasks that require specialized technical skill sets, including spatial analysis. For examples of past ECONorthwest projects please see our website: econw.com/projects.
The ideal candidate will possess a knowledge of spatial analysis and cartographic design principles, an ability to work collaboratively, and a desire to produce insightful analyses that answer our clients’ policy and planning questions. This role will require leading tasks that require spatial analysis and/or map production, supporting a range of projects across the firm’s practice areas in urban planning, transportation, social policy, natural resources, and business analytics. Assignment to specific projects will depend on the skills and interests of the candidate as well as the firm’s project support needs.
The position will be full-time and will be located in either our Portland, Oregon or Seattle, Washington office. Due to the ongoing pandemic, we anticipate that the selected candidate would start as a remote employee but would be expected to transition to working from an ECONorthwest office, at least part time, once normal office operations resume. The anticipated start date for this position is August 2, 2021, with flexibility for an earlier or later start date if needed.
ECONorthwest is committed to improving its diversity and inclusiveness as a workplace. Our best work draws on teams within and beyond ECONorthwest who have diverse backgrounds and experiences that reflect the multifaceted communities we work in. Thus, we encourage applicants who would expand the diversity of lived experiences within our team and who share our values and commitments to advancing equity through research and data justice.
Application Deadline: Applications close on June 25, 2021. We anticipate that we will hold interviews starting the week of July 5, 2021.
We recommend that your resume, cover letter, and/or sample map address these required qualifications to the fullest extent possible.
- Bachelor’s degree in geography, planning, public policy, economics, or a related field OR a minimum of 2 years of work experience and demonstrated interest in and knowledge of spatial analysis
- Advanced coursework and/or demonstrated professional experience in spatial analysis
- Applied experience in spatial/GIS analysis using ArcGIS, QGIS, or R
- Cartographic design using ArcGIS or QGIS
- Applied understanding of non-spatial data visualization best practices
- Dependable, organized, and detail-oriented
- Intellectual curiosity and critical thinking
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative, fast-paced environment with many deadlines
- Experience working in a team-oriented environment, but capable of autonomy
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
Other Desirable Qualifications
- Programming/scripting experience (Python, R, SQL), particularly in a spatial context
- Experience with network analysis processes
- Experience with spatial relational databases
- Experience with online/interactive mapping platforms (e.g., Leaflet libraries)
- Experience using quantitative and statistical methods
- Familiarity with planning and socioeconomic datasets, including assessor databases, zoning, and U.S. Census, and an understanding of their limitations and biases
- Consulting experience
Location: Portland, Oregon or Seattle, Washington
Salary and Benefits
The salary for this full-time exempt position is $66,000 to $97,000 per year, depending on candidate experience and commensurate with market rates. This position is eligible for full company benefits including medical/dental/vision/life/disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, 401(k), and paid holidays.
Required Application Materials
All materials should be submitted in PDF format, except for the map sample (see suggested formats below). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns about these requirements.
- Cover Letter (1 page limit). Please address in the cover letter how your personal and professional experiences can help
- ECONorthwest deliver high quality products to our clients.
- Spatial project sample (upload as “Any Additional Files” attachment). In this sample we are looking for evidence of your ability to communicate spatial data and analysis in a static or dynamic map format. This could be a link to a website portfolio, webmap, a GitHub repository, a map sample in PDF or image format, or something else you think shows what you can do. We prefer project samples that have not been completed as part of a group effort.
- (Optional) List of relevant courses taken in college or elsewhere. This may be a college transcript or a list of courses, descriptions, and where you took them.
ECONorthwest provides independent, insightful, and relevant analyses that strengthen policy and investment decisions. Since 1974, ECONorthwest has served a diverse range of public and private sector clients across the United States: business management and labor unions; conservationists and energy companies; public planning departments and private developers; litigation plaintiffs and defendants. Our studies are conducted by staff vetted for strong economic, financial, and policy evaluative skills. We are passionate about improving the economic and living conditions in the communities we serve. We do this through thoughtful economic analysis, informed by the multiple perspectives of those affected by our work and policy recommendations. By committing to active engagement in the areas of equity, diversity, and inclusion, we are able to pose sharper questions, elicit deeper insights, design better solutions, and deliver more value to our clients.