GRID Alternatives North Coast office has worked since 2014 to help Native American communities across Northern California achieve their renewable energy goals. Using a community-centric approach, we partner with tribes to identify, develop, finance, and implement solar power projects that meet community needs. We work to provide education, hands-on training, and energy cost reductions for tribal members.
Based in Willits, CA, our team serves tribal communities as well as the local communities. We are seeking an Outreach Coordinator to support with client outreach, bill trainings, solar installations, and communication on various reservations in the North Coast area of the state, as well as Native American homeowners who live off reservation.
This is a great opportunity for a self-motivated candidate with a passion for environmental justice, working with Native American communities, affordable housing, the environment and/or just generally grounded in making the world a better place. A successful candidate must be able to thrive in a fast-paced nonprofit environment, be organized yet flexible to adapt to changing needs, a good communicator, and want to help their fellow human. Solar installations are a team-effort and thus require team players that can also work well independently.
Available to travel throughout the North Coast region. We cover three counties, there is a fair amount of travel. GRID Alternatives provides travel reimbursement, but applicant must hold a valid drivers license.
Outreach Coordination Duties (75% of time):
- Work with partners in native communities to find and determine eligible solar clients, including past GRID clients
- Create and manage partnerships with local native communities, governments, and agencies including being present at events educating and representing GRID
- Continue and enhance relationships with tribal governments and agencies (tribal/non-tribal) who serve low-income homeowners in order to recruit clients and volunteers
- Develop and manage MOUs (Memorandums of Understanding) with tribal nations that GRID is working with in the North Coast
- Responsible for all aspects of the client application process including phone screening, group presentations, home site visits, educating families about solar and energy efficiency, walking clients through the application process, and assisting them with all related paperwork
Tribal Development and Workforce Duties (25% of time):
- Work with native communities and other GRID staff to write short grant proposals for solar projects
- Build and manage partnerships with local job training organizations, workforce development partners, the general public, and solar installers to help connect trainees with job opportunities
- Collaborate with GRID Bay Area development team on initiatives to increase funding for North Coast projects
- Promote local awareness of GRID through media, events, and community engagement
- Assist with building and maintaining our story bank: creating stories and cases for giving campaigns and other purposes, including interviewing, photography and video
- Advertise, recruit, coordinate, and support trainings for hands-on solar installations, participant orientation
What you need to bring to this role…
- Experience working with Tribal Nations and Native American Communities
- Knowledge and/or experience in energy efficiency and solar energy
- A passion for GRID Alternatives’ mission particularly with respect to the communities we serve (low-income families, job trainees, and volunteers), affordable housing, and/or environment/environmental justice work
- Experience with nonprofits and/or advocacy groups
- Experience in public speaking
- Available for occasional weekend and evening work
- MUST be able to successfully register and maintain a Home Improvement Salesperson registration with the Contractors State License Board. Application can be found here. (Please review the application.)
- Excellent computer skills: MS Office, Gmail, GoogleDocs, internet research, etc. Familiarity with SalesForce.com or other CRM software
It would be great if you also had…
- Multimedia, social media, sales and/or marketing a plus
- Bilingual Spanish/English
Let’s Talk Money
This is a full-time position, compensation commensurate with experience.
How we take care of you…
Medical, Dental, Vision/Eye care insurance, 5 weeks paid time off (PTO), up to 12 paid holidays, Commuter Checks, 403B retirement plan, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Health Savings Account (HSA), STD, LTD & ADD.
Ready to Apply?
Submit both a resume and a cover letter describing your interest. Applications are accepted via our website, to access the position go to this link: gridalternatives.org/get-involved/careers/open-positions
Thank you for your interest in GRID Alternatives!
About GRID Alternatives Bay Area
GRID Alternatives is a national leader in making clean, affordable solar power and solar jobs accessible to low-income communities and communities of color. GRID is an entrepreneurial, high-growth non-profit organization that provides direct solar installation and project development; workforce training and service learning opportunities; and low-income solar policy advocacy.
Our vision: a transition to clean, renewable energy that includes and benefits everyone.
Based in Oakland, California, GRID has 9 regional offices and affiliates serving all of California, Colorado, Washington D.C., Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware; GRID also works in Nicaragua, Mexico and Nepal. GRID has a dedicated staff of 380 and growing!