Job Area:Information Technology Group, Information Technology Group > IT Engineering
Qualcomm is a company of inventors that unlocked 5G ushering in an age of rapid acceleration in connectivity and new possibilities that will transform industries, create jobs, and enrich lives. But this is just the beginning. It takes inventive minds with diverse skills, backgrounds, and cultures to transform 5Gs potential into world-changing technologies and products. This is the Invention Age – and this is where you come in.
We have an opportunity in our Global Data Center Operations team for an intelligent and motivated Data Center Engineer who is enthusiastic about data center deployment and site reliability/management. As a member of our team you will be managing existing and new Qualcomm data centers in Las Vegas, Nevada. You will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of our data center and assume a critical role in maintaining the overall up- time, performance, and capacity. Your responsibilities will include: site management, Moves/Adds/Changes of systems within the site. Installations, configurations of server/networking/storage equipment in preparation of administrators work. You will also work with our current Las Vegas, Nevada data center lead and with San Diego teams for site management/including cabling and site growth management going forward. Bring your solid experience and take on interesting and mission-critical projects as part of a fast-paced, highly collaborative team. We hold ourselves to high standards, and take pride in our work. You should be dedicated to excellence and have a strong sense of personal responsibility and be self-driven. This position is primarily on-site at our facilities in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
o Rack and install a large inventory of servers, storage, networking gear, data center gear and serial consoles in our production environment
o Perform initial configuration and provision for deployment: servers, network gear and various infrastructure related equipment (Console/ILO) configurations for sys-admins
o Perform stringent site management and planning for production deployments and growth
o Troubleshoot and remedy hardware issues, and provide a detailed report to management/administrators
o Manage local vendors for procurement/installations/remediation
o Manage RMA/EOL/Disposal processes with various sources
o Maintain an up-to-date inventory list of all hardware equipment for locations
o Help with co-location capacity and growth planning as well as rack and server layouts with corporate tools
o Implement and follow best-practice methodology for maintaining a datacenter/co-location environment for power/cooling/cabling
o Track datacenter/co-location related issues and tasks via our ticketing system
o Participate in a 24x7x365 on-call support rotation
o Experience working in a structured cabling central patch environment
o 10/40/100g patching knowledge
o VFL + Basic fiber troubleshooting
o Familiar with proper fiber end-face cleaning procedures
o Commscope iMvision Data Base knowledge a plus
o Adding copper cabling patching connections, punch down/run cables
o Ability to read and understand cabling scopes of work
o Ability to manage cable integrators and audit performed work to the actual SOW
o Quality Assurance Fundamentals
o Adding fiber MPO knowledge or fiber TX/RX principals
o Trouble shoot Fiber/cooper
o Basic testing of fiber and copper for support and troubleshooting
o Available for travel as needed
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
• Serves as escalation point from service desk to resolve advanced system and/or application issues by interfacing with users, other IT Engineers, and vendors to resolve issues.
• Collects, troubleshoots, and debugs issues with networks, systems, and/or applications by completing basic root cause analyses, and escalates issues both internally and externally as needed.
• Networks with colleagues within domain of expertise to gain insight, ideas, and connections.
• Manages distractions, prioritizes tasks, and deals with setbacks in a timely manner under direction from more senior personnel.
• Adapts to moderate changes and setbacks in order to manage pressure and meet deadlines.
• Understands the importance of contributions from individuals of varying backgrounds, locations, and cultures.
• Communicates with project lead via email and direct conversation to provide project status updates and information about impending obstacles.
• Completes moderate technical tasks assigned by more senior personnel.
• Regularly discusses issues within and outside of project team to maintain open communication.
• Contributes to technical conversations with tech leads/managers.
IT Core Competencies
• Accountability – Hold one’s self and others accountable for measurable quality, timely and cost-effective results, and accepts responsibility for impacts to the business and changes to business processes.
• Adaptability – Adjusting own behaviors to work efficiently and effectively in light of new information, changing situations and/or different environments.
• Collaboration – Fosters working together by establishing, communicating, and reinforcing shared values, norms, and objectives.
• Communication – The ability to effectively exchange information with stakeholders in addition to the ability to accurately hear and understand the partially expressed thoughts, feelings, and concerns of others.
• Financial Acumen – Ability to understand in-depth financial information that can be used to make meaningful insights to drive business growth in a safe and transparent environment.
• Influence – The ability to accomplish goals through others.
• People Development – Models and creates an environment that promotes career development.
• Strategic Focus – Applies a comprehensive approach using business acumen and industry research to solve systematic complexities that promote growth.
Required Competencies 0
Additional Competencies (All competencies below are required upon entry)
• Analytical Skills – The ability to collect information and identify fundamental patterns/trends in simple to moderately complex data. This includes the ability to gather, integrate, and interpret information from several sources.
• Documentation – The ability to document solutions to basic IT issues by using standard policies and procedures.
• Escalation Management – Knowledge of the procedures for incident escalation. This includes understanding when to escalate as required in a timely manner.
• IT Expertise – Basic knowledge of major operating systems, major enterprise software applications, hardware, and middleware. This includes the ability to understand some development and testing and analysis methodologies.
• IT Support – The ability to receive various computer related requests from end-users and operate the basic features of IT support software and tools to effectively provide IT services. This also includes the ability to respond with urgency to requests.
• Monitoring – The ability to understand how to interpret basic data from logs in order to monitor and maintain performance and identify security issues.
• Technical Troubleshooting – Knowledge of systematic approaches to solving common technical problems (e.g., hardware, software, application, operational). This includes the ability to identify problems and report and escalate problems according to established procedures, and the ability to identify available information resources for troubleshooting.
• Workstation Software – Thorough understanding of desktop operating systems such as Windows and OSX, including a thorough understanding of the full Microsoft Office Suite with an emphasis on Outlook, Word, and Excel. This also includes the ability to troubleshoot basic to intermediate software issues relating to the operating system or end-user applications.
• Bachelor’s degree in a technical field (e.g. Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems) OR Bachelor’s degree in a non-technical field (e.g. Business, Humanities, Marketing) and 1+ years IT-relevant experience OR High School diploma or equivalent and 3+ years IT-relevant experience.
Preferred Qualifications N/A
• Frequently transports between offices, buildings, and campuses up to ½ mile.
• Frequently transports and installs equipment up to 100 lbs.
• Performs required tasks at various heights (e.g., standing or sitting).
• Monitors and utilizes computers and test equipment for more than 6 hours a day.
• Continuous communication which includes the comprehension of information with colleagues, customers, and vendors both in person and remotely.
Applicants: If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation during the application/hiring process, please call Qualcomm’s toll-free number found here (https://qualcomm.service-now.com/hrpublic?id=hr_public_article_view&sysparm_article=KB0039028) for assistance. Qualcomm will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, to support individuals with disabilities to be able participate in the hiring process. Qualcomm is also committed to making our workplace accessible for individuals with disabilities. Qualcomm is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity.
To all Staffing and Recruiting Agencies: Our Careers Site is only for individuals seeking a job at Qualcomm. Staffing and recruiting agencies and individuals being represented by an agency are not authorized to use this site or to submit profiles, applications or resumes, and any such submissions will be considered unsolicited. Qualcomm does not accept unsolicited resumes or applications from agencies. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Qualcomm employees or any other company location. Qualcomm is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes/applications.
EEO Employer: Qualcomm is an equal opportunity employer; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or any other protected classification.
If you would like more information about this role, please contact Qualcomm Careers (http://www.qualcomm.com/contact/corporate) .
We are engineers, scientists and business strategists. We are from many different countries and speak many different languages. We come from diverse cultures and have unique perspectives. Together, we focus on a single goal—we invent breakthrough technologies that transform how the world connects, computes, and communicates.
Employment Notices for US-based Job Postings
Equal Employment Opportunity (https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
“EEO is the Law” Poster Supplement
Pay Transparency NonDiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf)
Employee Polygraph Protection Act
Family Medical Leave Act (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/WHD/legacy/files/fmlaen.pdf)
Rights of Pregnant Employees
Discrimination and Harassment (https://www.dfeh.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/32/2020/10/Workplace-Discrimination-Poster_ENG.pdf)
California Family Rights Act
Prepare and succeed
Qualcomm Interview FAQs (https://www.qualcomm.com/company/careers/faqs)
Employment Fraud Alert
We have received reports of employment scams that seek financial or personal information from job candidates. Please note these communications are fraudulent. Click here (https://www.qualcomm.com/employment-fraud-alert) to view our Employment Fraud Alert.
Who is Qualcomm, and what do we do? We are engineers, scientists and business strategists. We are from many different countries and speak many different languages. We come from diverse cultures and have unique perspectives. Together, we focus on a single goal—invent mobile technology breakthroughs.