Department: Accounting Department
Reports To: Financial Controller, CFO
Status: Salary – Exempt
This person would be responsible for the monthly accounting of the Tribes Gov’t Programs. Programs based on federal grants and non- federal grants. We use Governmental Fund accounting and would prefer someone with a Governmental Accounting background. The tribal background would be a plus, but not required. Our software is Abila MIP Accounting Software.
Month-end close processes for the Enterprises as well as general monthly accounting procedures.
· Essential Functions:
· Book Monthly Accrual Entries
· Monthly Expense Analysis
· Monthly Bank Reconciliations
· Book Monthly Debt Payments
· Debt Reconciliation and Rollforwards
· Fixed Asset Reconciliation and Rollforwards
· Book and Reconcile Monthly Prepaids
· Manage Enterprise Vendor Contracts
· Reconcile Balance Sheet Accounts
· Calculate, Pay and Reconcile Royalty Payments from Zipline
· Store Inventory Posting and Reconciliation
· Prepare month-end financial statements for Department Managers and Tribal Council
1. Must have 2+ years of accounting experience. Tribal government accounting a plus.
2. The Accountant will have the following experience and attributes:
a. A minimum of a BS in Accounting or Finance
b. An understanding of Tribal Government operations a plus.
c. Works to maintain confidentiality and be sensitive to protocols necessary for interacting with tribal leaders, government officials and community leaders.
d. Experience in financial accounting software and systems to supply the most accurate financial information.
e. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
f. Knowledge in the use of Abila or some other MIP Fund accounting system.
3. To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each function listed under the “essential functions” and “physical requirements” categories of this position description as well as have the necessary experience as listed un “position requirements” section.
Indian Preference Policy: In accordance with the Indian Preference Act of 1934 (25 USC 472), preference in filling this vacancy will be given to qualified Indian candidates who present proof of eligibility for Indian Preference. Verification on BIA Form 5-4432 or from Tribal ID card must be provided with the application. For purposes of this policy, Indian/Native American is defined as an enrolled member of a federally recognized tribe.
Notice of Drug-Free Workplace Requirements: The La Jolla Band of Luiseño Indians is committed to maintaining a drug-free working environment and to comply with the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1998, 45CFR, part 76, subpart F. The interested candidate must be able to pass a drug-screening test and maintain a drug-free and professional working environment.