You will be responsible for the recruitment, engagement, and retention of these volunteers. As a member of our Voter Protection team, you will help execute a ground game that combats potential GOP voter interference and ensures that every eligible voter’s voice gets heard in the 2022 election.
What You’ll Do
Tasks and responsibilities include:
1. Building on our success over the past several years, recruit a robust team of volunteers who will serve as early vote observers, polling place and absentee counting room observers, and
post-election canvass observers for the August and November elections.
2. Utilize consistent and diverse outreach methods to reach new and existing volunteers, including phone calls, textbanking, social media, and community networking.
3. Help engage the leaders of the MDP’s local units to recruit volunteers and educate voters.
4. Implement grassroot field tactics, including managing and executing effective activities such as phonebanks, volunteer trainings, and one-on-one meetings.
5. Use independent creativity and judgment to keep our core team of volunteers engaged and
active in pursuit of our programmatic goals.
6. Assist your Deputy Voter Protection Director with event hosting and special projects as
7. Use digital tools to engage new volunteers, educate voters, and create online volunteer
8. Help manage the team’s volunteer data using VoteBuilder/VAN and LBJ; report timely and
accurate data to the Regional Voter Protection Director
Who You Are
We’re seeking energetic, enthusiastic, detail-oriented individuals who can handle a high volume of work and solve problems to get things done.
1. Strong interpersonal skills, including on the telephone, and the ability to communicate with
people from different backgrounds – in particular, the ability to build connections with others
through cold-calling, community networking, textbanking, and social media.
2. Relentlessly goal-oriented – enjoys working toward and achieving ambitious, metric-driven
3. Capacity and willingness to work long hours during peak season, rolling up your sleeves and
getting the work done.
4. Cultural Competency – able to build relationships and collaborate with colleagues, voters, and
volunteers across all lines of identity difference. Understands how to take an inclusive lens into
all aspects of work.
5. Exceptionally well organized and have strong time-management skills.
6. Flexible, adaptable and solutions-oriented – willing to take and implement feedback.
7. Ability to keep calm in stressful situations.
8. Comfortable working with technology including SMS and social media platforms.
9. Access to a laptop and ability to work out of campaign offices either in the Detroit metro area or Western Michigan.
1. One to two years of campaign and/or community organizing experience.
2. Demonstrated commitment to advancing voting rights.
3. Familiarity with VAN/Votebuilder, Google suite and other database tools.
Start Date: June 15, 2022
Salary: $4,000/month plus excellent benefits
The Michigan Democratic Party is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Send cover letter and résumé to email@example.com