Reports to: Vice President of Development & External Engagement (VPDEE) Supervisory Role: No
Status: Full-time; Exempt
Location: Remote (Eastern Time Zone Preferred)
Application Deadline: Open until filled
About Native Americans in Philanthropy
Native Americans in Philanthropy envisions a future with healthy and sustainable Native communities supported by responsive philanthropy. Our mission is to promote equitable and effective philanthropy in Native communities. We do this by increasing engagement and funding to Native-led organizations; increasing and supporting Native professionals in philanthropy; and transforming and influencing the philanthropic sector to be in alignment with an Indigenous worldview.
About the Position
The Database Manager is a part of the Development & External Engagement team and is responsible overall care and management of the organizational data. The database manager will be the primary manager for the Salesforce CRM and will work closely with the website team by providing technology solutions to better meet the needs of members, communities, and programs.
As the lead technologist of the CRM, the manager will ensure maximum effectiveness and efficiency of the data to achieve organizational objectives and goals. Success in this role requires seeing the big picture, defining ambitious plans and goals based on user needs, executing top-notch technical project management, building processes and systems with the VPDEE, and being able to translate the technology to the organizational members.
From a technical perspective, this role will work with Salesforce and related technologies to ensure a high quality, high functioning and secure system on an ongoing basis. From a support perspective, this person will be the Salesforce support, working proactively across the organization to ensure the team members are successful within Salesforce and serving as the liaison with the Salesforce consultants. From a management perspective, this person will periodically meet with stakeholders across the organization to ensure Salesforce usage and solutions align to organizational priorities and to develop and maintain a roadmap of enhancements in line with each team’s evolving strategies.
NAP’s new strategic plan seeks to increase awareness among key stakeholders and engage Native and non-Native philanthropic professionals with NAP’s resources, activities, and programs. This person will manage and support the organization’s overall work where needed, and represent NAP in the United Philanthropy Forum’s Knowledge Management (KM) Collaborative, participating in the peer learning and action network.
- Holds primary administrator responsibility for the Salesforce CRM.
- Trains or assists in training internal users on Salesforce.
- Generates reports to support staff needs as requested.
- Maintains organization’s membership, event records, and contact records under the direction of the VPDEE, finance and administration records under the direction of the Vice President of Strategy and Operations, and the Tribal Nations records under the direction of the Vice President of Tribal Nation Initiatives.
- Works with contractors and users to improve ease-of use in Salesforce.
- Works with integrated Salesforce apps such as Classy, Cogna Composer, or DemandTools, including testing, installing, creating reports, updating fields, and managing duplicates.
- Manages listservs and group communication memberships.
- Participates in regular meetings with website staff and contractors to help build out forms and features.
- Tests and installs new features in coordination with the United Philanthropy Forum.
- Ensures the website forms are kept current and accurate.
- Assists staff members with designing forms to capture good data.
- Manages complex conference registration pages.
Grants & Development Management
- Manages administration of grant requests in Salesforce assuring all deliverable dates are accurate.
- Provides grant and development status reports that are timely and accurate.
- Works closely across departments to deliver reports.
- Stay abreast of relevant trends and best practices in data management.
Evaluation and Learning
- Using Salesforce and working in partnership with senior leadership, staff, program managers, board members or other stakeholders, help design and implement an evaluation framework that regularly generates and assesses organizational and programmatic measures.
Office and Operations
- Responsible for tracking and documenting interactions and correspondence and tracks using Salesforce
- Prepares reports for leadership and advisory teams.
- Provide staff with reporting on their correspondence with members, prospects and other organizations.
- Ensure staff receives CRM and regular updates on requirements and status.
Qualifications and Experience:
While no one candidate will embody all the qualifications enumerated below, the ideal candidate will possess many of the following professional and personal knowledge, experiences, skills, and abilities:
Knowledge, Experience & Ability
- Bachelor’s degree and/or at least three years of experience in a similar role.
- Enthusiasm and understanding of technology strategies and 2+ years of Salesforce administration experience.
- Advanced experience creating reports and dashboards, complex flows and working with process builder.
- Salesforce certification a plus.
- Superior ability to partner and consult with teams and individuals- using strong listening skills and ability to solve for needs and problems.
- Excellent relationship management and interpersonal skills; diplomacy, tact, and professionalism.
- Collaborative, team-oriented, and flexible. Adept at building collegial relationships and able to respond to issues with clarity and diplomacy; demonstrated ability to inspire and foster trust and confidence in staff, management, and their colleagues.
- Deep knowledge and experience working in Native contexts, relationships, as well as understandings of tribal communities and Native-led nonprofits.
- Experience and/or understanding of the philanthropic sector and relationships with philanthropic professionals, funders, and organizations a plus.
- Analyze, evaluate, and overcome program risks, and produce program reports for management and stakeholders.
- Proven ability to think strategically; demonstrated record of success working with a diverse constituency of partners and stakeholders to achieve specific programmatic outcomes.
- Resourcefulness—the ability to leverage networks and experience to find answers, solve problems, and identify new opportunities for impact.
- Proficient in other tools such as Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), Adobe Acrobat, and web-based project management and calendaring platforms.
Skills for Success:
- Have a deep commitment to serving tribal nations and Native communities.
- Have strong judgement–the ability to anticipate problems, identify solutions and bring important issues to the attention of the executive team.
- Possess keen attention to detail and displays a strong commitment to accuracy.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments with competing deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills necessary to interact as a productive and supportive team member.
- Strong follow-through skills with a willingness to learn new tasks.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and proven experience successfully working with the general public.
- Proven ability to maintain consistent and reliable attendance.
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning.
- Demonstrated ability to be a team player.
- Be reliable and trustworthy.
- Practice strong project management, time management, and organizational skills.
- Have good problem-solving skills.
- Experience supporting the planning and organization of virtual meetings and events.
- Are solutions-driven, a self-starter and self-managing.
- Have a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion values in all facets of your work.
- Have a sense of humor, proactive attitude, excellent interpersonal communication skills, and an openness to evolving responsibilities.
- Experience working with the philanthropic sector.
- Experience supporting multiple staffers, and a can-do, all-hands-on-deck attitude, marked by flexibility and collaboration.
To Apply: Submit a Cover Letter and Resume to the application link for the Database Manager. This position is open until filled.