Title: Patrol Officer
Department/Division: Tribal Law Enforcement/Security Department
Status: Full-Time, Hourly/ DOE
Shift: Schedule subject to change due to rotating
Supervisor: Security Chief
Under general supervision of the Security Chief, the Patrol Officer will be responsible for patrolling the Pala Band of Mission Indians Reservation. Ensure to prevent unauthorized activity, and assures the safety of the community.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Patrols the Pala Band of Mission Indians Reservation, checking residential and commercial building for any unusual activities. Reports incidents to the proper authorities and takes action to the extent allowed by training and authority.
2. Maintains complete and accurate information of all activities, and provides periodic reports to upper management for their use.
3. Responsible periodic tours of the premises inspecting protection devices, fire control equipment and checking for any other irregularities.
4. Responsible to verify that all unoccupied buildings are secure and/or locked.
5. Provide emergency assistance by notifying the Fire Department in case of a fire and Police Department in case of criminal activity.
6. Enforces the laws of the Pala Band of Mission Indians on the Pala Indian Reservation to the extent delegated such authority by the Tribal law or the Executive Committee.
7. Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, CERTIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES:
1. Knowledge of security and patrolling techniques which will contribute to the safeguard of the complex.
2. Knowledge of defense tactics.
3. Preparing incident reports and documenting incidents.
4. Following oral and written instruction, guidelines and procedures.
5. Understanding a variety of rules, regulations and policies.
6. Ability to handle and control any and all situations and using good judgment in those situations.
7. Display good judgment and negotiation skills in the apprehension of any persons suspected of engaging in a criminal activity.
8. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, agencies, general public, and Fire Department.
§ High School graduate or equivalent education (GED). (1) One year of successful experience in security related field, such as a casino, hospital security and must be 21 years of age.
§ Valid Guard Card, CPR Certification, Chemical Agents certification, and Baton permit preferred.
§ Must have a valid California Driver’s License. Also attach a printout from the Department of Motor Vehicle to pass a security background check.
§ Physical capability to perform various physical tasks associated with foot patrol outdoors in extremes of weather ranging from heat to cold, self-defense actions and search activities.
§ Must acknowledge and agree to maintain a Drug-Free workplace (including marijuana) as a condition of employment with the Pala Band of Mission Indians. Must pass pre-employment and random drug testing during employment. A DMV print-out and background check will be required.
§ Indian preference will apply. The Pala Band of Mission Indians will give hiring preference to fully qualified applicants that are Pala Tribal Members.
All employees are expected to follow the Tribal Employee Handbook of the Pala Band of Mission Indians and must adhere to any additional applicable addendums.