The Chief Financial Officer has overall responsibility for effective management of all financial activity
for the Pechanga Tribal Government. The broad areas of duty include auditing, governmental
accounting, payroll and payroll reporting, per capita payments, employee and Tribal Member benefits
including self-insurance, financing, investments, taxation and General Welfare Exclusions,
forecasting, financial valuations, and budgeting.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Safeguard all tribal government assets.
• Adhere to all policies and procedures of the Pechanga Tribal Government.
• Oversee all aspects of the finance department accounting including accounts receivable,
payable, payroll and general ledger functions.
• Ability to manage employees including guidance and assistance when needed for problem
solving and assisting them to grow within their positions.
• Determine financial implications of employee benefit plans including review of renewals and
recommendations regarding changes in coverage.
• Assist in designing and implementing Tribal Member health plans
• Review and advise on retirement and deferred compensation plans.
• Responsible for the oversight and compliance of all payroll functions, including payment
processing, reporting and payment of taxes.
• Responsible for the timely and accurate filing of all federal, state or other compliance
• Develop and maintain capital structure of the Tribal government.
• Responsible for cash management, banking, borrowing, investing and safekeeping of securities.
• Responsible for short and long-term financial matters, policies and practices.
• Recommend Tribal government financial policies to the Tribal Council.
• Monitor financial performance and communicate with Tribal Council.
• Establish and maintain financial institution and Tribal relations.
• Develop Investment Policy Statement for investing excess cash to maximize return with agreed
• Maintain awareness of the external environment and anticipate impact on the financial affairs
of the Tribal government
• Provide financial support to all departments in major decisions affecting the Tribal government.
• Responsible for preparation of all annual budgets.
• Advise on the approval of all capital expenditures.
• Responsible for successful audit completion to ensure compliance with generally accepted
accounting principles (GAAP) and/or any other comprehensive basis of accounting.
• Maintain internal control system within the department.
• Have a working knowledge of grant reporting to funding agencies.
• Monitor, review and advise on any restrictive covenants and other terms related to borrowings.
• Develop, update, and improve the finance departments policies and procedures and Standard
Operating Procedures (SOP).
• Other assignments to be determined by the Tribal Council.
This role includes supervisory duties for the Finance department. You will carry out supervisory
responsibilities in accordance with the Pechanga Tribal Government policies and procedures and
applicable laws. Provide training and direction to the Finance department staff; to ensure that the
duties, responsibilities, authority, and accountability are clearly defined and fully understood.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to the following:
• Planning, assigning and directing work
• Appraising performance
• Addressing complaints and resolving problems
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration with major in accounting required.
• Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred.
• 10 years of progressive experience in accounting/financial management required.
• Ability to work with computerized accounting software, Abila MIP preferred.
• Experience in the oversight of payroll administration and reporting required.
• Current and relevant knowledge of Governmental Accounting Standards and proficient in
preparation of financial statements in accordance with GAAP required.
• Current working knowledge of Federal and State tax laws as they may apply to Native
• Full understanding of the General Welfare Exclusion Act of 2014 preferred.
• Experience reading and understanding casino financial accounting a plus.
• Culturally sensitive with effective communication skills, both verbal and written.
• This position must comply with the Pechanga Tribal Government’s Drug-Free Workplace
Policy. This includes: pre-employment testing, post-accident or injury, and random testing.
• Must successfully pass a pre-employment background investigation.
• Must be bondable
The Pechanga Band offers a comprehensive and competitive benefit package for all full-time employees.
Benefits include the following:
• Paid Time Off – Vacation, Sick and Holiday pay
• Retirement – 401(k) retirement plan with a generous employer match
• Health & Wellness Coverage – Medical, dental and vision coverage
• Life and Long Term Disability – $25,000 employer paid life and Long Term Disability
• Flexible Spending Accounts – Healthcare and Dependent care reimbursement accounts
• Supplemental Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
• Supplemental Coverage – Disability, Accident, Cancer, Life, and Hospital Confinement
• Legal Shield and Identity Shield
• Pet Insurance
• Education Reimbursement Opportunities – For pre-approved specific, job related education
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – Face-to-face counseling, Legal assistance, Financial
assistance, ID recovery, Tobacco cessation, Dependent care and Daily living resources, and Crisis
About Pechanga Tribal Government
Complete Job Descriptions and Applications are located at:
PECHANGA GOVERNMENT CENTER
12705 PECHANGA ROAD TEMECULA, CA 92592
Direct link to open positions and application: https://www.pechanga-nsn.gov/index.php/contact/employment
Send Application and Resume to:
Hiring Preference: The Pechanga Tribal Government is an equal opportunity employer. Consistent with federal law, the Pechanga Band of Luiseno Indians applies Indian preference in employment. It is the policy of the Pechanga Tribal Government to give preference in hiring, promotions, and transfers into vacant positions to qualified applicants in the following order: 1) Pechanga Tribal Members; 2) Pechanga Tribal Member Spouses; 3) non-member American Indians. Drug Testing: The Pechanga Tribal Government is a drug-free workplace. All employees are subject to drug testing. Background Investigation: All candidates and employees may be subject to a background investigation.