Purchasing Buyer is responsible for all aspects of day-to-day purchasing duties including, but not limited to: purchasing a variety of supplies, materials, equipment and services for use by operating departments; assisting in the preparation of bid/quote specifications; soliciting formal bids and or quotes; setting up new vendors; reaching out to small and emerging businesses; assisting in the resolution of award protests and other purchasing issues.; working closely with the Legal department on contracts, credit applications, etc.; conducting training programs for employees on the use of PTG’s purchasing software; and preparing correspondence and reports.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Purchase supplies, materials, equipment and services.
• Maintain vendor files and open account reconciliation.
• Maintain asset inventory.
• Provide assistance and support to Director of Purchasing.
• Assist in the maintenance of electronic document management system.
• Issue Requests for Proposals (RFP’s) and/or Invitations to Bid (ITB’s).
• Make recommendations for award of contracts and resolve disputes and protests.
• Present requirements to vendors, obtain quotes, assist in negotiations for best value in price, quality and lead times.
• Work closely with Accounts Payable to ensure timely, accurate payments are made to Vendors.
• Daily follow up on open orders to ensure timely delivery of services/goods.
• Perform Credit Card reconciliation and auditing.
• Review requisitions for accuracy and compliance, oversee the distribution of purchase orders, and resolve immediate questions and issues from end-users.
• Review potential vendors and seek to expand partners and assist with managing them accordingly.
• Research and analyze PTG’s purchases and market to identify and recommend opportunities to leverage PTG’s purchasing power.
• Analyze prices and compare to the open market.
• Monitor supplier’s performance, report deviations, recommend supplier remedies.
• Develop and generate reports, including but not limited to; number of purchase orders produced, dollar value, vendors involved, and the types of goods and services purchased.
• Performs both physical and electronic receiving of goods/services.
• Assist Director of Purchasing with creation and management of new databases, layouts, scripts as requested by Departments or to further improve efficiency within the Department.
• Must adhere to all policies and procedures of the Pechanga Tribal Government.
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• College Degree preferred; High School diploma required.
• 2-3 years experience in purchasing a wide variety of governmental, industrial, and/or business equipment, materials, and/or services required.
• A valid Certified Purchasing Manager or Certified Professional in Supply Management or similar certification preferred.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office with a focus on Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint and Outlook required.
• Computerized procurement system (e.g., MIP) or other Purchasing Modules preferred.
• Experience in creating/maintaining file records and a database system.
• Ability to manage multiple projects and properly prioritize workload.
• Prior purchasing and accounting experience with a public agency (e.g., city, county, state, or federal) preferred.
• Must have knowledge of purchasing practices and procedures.
• Experience issuing Requests for Proposals (RFP’s) and/or Invitations to Bid (ITB’s).
• Strong problem solving skills.
• Experience with conflict management.
• Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• This position must comply with the Pechanga Tribal Government’s Drug-Free Workplace Policy. This includes: pre-employment testing, post-accident or injury, and random testing.
• Must successfully pass a pre-employment background investigation.
The Pechanga Band offers a comprehensive and competitive benefit package for all full-time employees. Benefits include the following:
• Paid Time Off – Vacation, Sick and Holiday pay
• Retirement – 401(k) retirement plan with a generous employer match
• Health & Wellness Coverage – Medical, dental and vision coverage
• Life and Long Term Disability – $25,000 employer paid life and Long Term Disability
• Flexible Spending Accounts – Healthcare and Dependent care reimbursement accounts
• Supplemental Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
• Supplemental Coverage – Disability, Accident, Cancer, Life, and Hospital Confinement
• Legal Shield and Identity Shield
• Pet Insurance
• Education Reimbursement Opportunities – For pre-approved specific, job related education
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – Face-to-face counseling, Legal assistance, Financial assistance, ID recovery, Tobacco cessation, Dependent care and Daily living resources, and Crisis consultation
About Pechanga Tribal Government
COMPLETE JOB DESCRIPTION AND APPLICATIONS ARE AVAILABLE AT:
PECHANGA GOVERNMENT CENTER
12705 PECHANGA ROAD TEMECULA, CA 92592
Send application and resume to:
Hiring Preference: The Pechanga Tribal Government is an equal opportunity employer. Consistent with federal law, the Pechanga Band of Indians applies Indian preference in employment. It is the policy of the Pechanga Tribal Government to give preference in hiring, promotions, and transfers into vacant positions to qualified applicants in the following order: 1) Pechanga Tribal Members; 2) Pechanga Tribal Member Spouses; 3) non-member American Indians. Drug Testing: The Pechanga Tribal Government is a drug-free workplace. All employees are subject to drug testing. Background Investigation: All candidates and employees may be subject to a background investigation.