The Project Manager position plans, manages and oversees the creation and management of the “Tribal Resource Center” (TRC). The individual must be a driven organizer and excellent communicator, with the ability to motivate and encourage team members to perform high-quality work to deadline. The Project Manager is responsible for executing management duties as described below. The TRC is overseen by the People Centered Internet (PCI), a non-profit organization. The Project Manager will be hired by a contractor which reports to the PCI.
About the TRC:
This project mixes social science and technology research to understand better how the end-to-end approach, based on design thinking, will increase the likelihood that tribal communities will co-develop broadband and connectivity solutions that meet their needs and create digital opportunities. This project will support the community not only with technology and inclusiveness across Tribal Nations, but also with the means of building community support and sustainable resilience.
This TRC will provide targeted and appropriate support for Tribal leaders and members seeking to create opportunities through the use of information and communications technologies (ICTs). This resource center will be uniquely suited to understanding and addressing the needs of Tribes, supporting Tribes by keeping them at the center at all steps of the process. As needed, the TRC will create training materials that are appropriate to a Tribal level of digital literacy and approach to governance, connect Tribes with grant applications and other funding opportunities, and provide Tribes with any other forms of support and guidance. In all of its efforts, the TRC will constantly evaluate the efficacy of its work and programs, fine tuning its efforts as needed to create even stronger outcomes.
The TRC will be innovative, unique, and powerful in two key ways: First and foremost, the TRC will be staffed by existing Tribal digital leaders, and cultivate a strong and trustworthy relationship with Tribes. Second, the TRC will scale and leverage its impact by adopting an approach that seeks to connect Tribes with outside pre-existing resources (e.g., 2020 CARES funding and pending initiatives like the Tribal Broadband Connectivity Program (TBCP), etc.) rather than directly funding network builds.
Specific TRC management duties include:
• Successfully manage delivery of all project requirements,
• Be able to conduct high quality online videoconference meetings,
• Develop and maintain a detailed project plan to track grant progress,
• Ensure that all projects are delivered on time, within scope and within budget,
• Maintain TRC budget plans and records of contracts related to the grant, and work with the board of directors to track related receipts and invoices,
• Use appropriate verification techniques to manage changes in project scope, schedule, and costs,
• Measure project performance using appropriate metrics, systems, tools and techniques,
• Escalate changes to projects as necessary, including changes that impact other projects and grant deliverables,
• Manage relationships with various stakeholders including administrative contact of the grant funder, external evaluation team, various academic institutions, tribal community members and leadership, and others,
• Support the leads of related projects by providing information on allocated funding, identifying areas where resources are needed, and providing understanding on funder and external evaluator requirements,
• Create, maintain, and distribute comprehensive project documentation,
• Other duties as required.
• At least two years of related experience as a project manager or coordinator, preferably with experience in a non-profit,
• Prior work with tribal communities and/or in digital inclusiveness strongly preferred,
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to tailor those skills to a variety of different audiences,
• Work well under pressure; ability to prioritize amongst multiple, competing responsibilities, and have exceptional time-management skills,
• Service-oriented and a team player; display positive “can-do” attitude,
• Keen attention to detail,
• Ability to exercise good judgement and independent decision making,
• Demonstrated fluency with the Microsoft Office Suite & Google Suite for Business
Duties are performed independently and involve planning, attention to detail, initiative, and follow-through. Work is performed without close review and involves knowledge of the organization, its interests, partners, and team, and the exercise of frequent independent judgement in making administrative decisions.
Excellent organizational and process skills, including the ability to effectively track the status of ongoing projects and find needed documents and information quickly. Ability to independently organize, plan, prioritize, and carry out responsibilities, establish processes for self and others, and to finish tasks by established deadlines.
Excellent interpersonal skills. Personal integrity, professionalism, empathy, resourcefulness, partnership, tact, proactive communication, and a commitment to high standards of work quality and maintaining confidentiality.
Location: 100% Remote with the possibility of some travel
Position Type: Regular, full-time, exempt
Salary and Benefits: $50,000/year with medical benefits
Email resumes with cover letter to; firstname.lastname@example.org
About People-Centered Internet
People-Centered Internet works to make sure that the Internet is a positive force for good, improving the lives and well-being of people around the world. Through our global initiatives, we promote connectivity, fight disinformation, add to the discussion about technology ethics, support the development of people-centered applications and initiatives, advise policymakers, and leverage technology to help communities be more resilient.