POSITION: Dental Assistant – 2 Positions
LOCATION: Red Cliff Community Health Center
WAGE: $14.00-$22.00. Negotiable depending on qualifications.
SUPERVISOR(S): Dentist and Dental Director
THIS IS A REGULAR FULL-TIME NON-EXEMPT POSITION
JOB SUMMARY: Serves as an experienced or certified dental assistant aiding the dentist in performing restorative, prophylactic, endodontic and surgical procedures.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Performs limited intra-oral procedures and chair side assistant duties in all phases of prosthodontic, surgical and endodontic as provided in general dentistry.
2. Receives and routes patients and assists patients in completing medical history questionnaire.
3. Charts examination and treatment information as relayed by the dentist.
4. Maintains dental equipment in a clean and operative condition, including sterilization of instruments, materials and equipment.
5. Properly lays out all instruments and materials needed for each treatment, prepares all tray sets for operative, endodontic and surgical procedures.
6. Instructs patients in preventive dental care; demonstrates brushing and flossing techniques and use of disclosing tablets, explains the cause of decay and its relationship to diet.
7. Takes radiographs, impressions for study models, applies rubber dam, removes sutures, performs prophylaxis and applies topical fluoride.
8. Obtains and records vital signs as directed by dentist.
9. Relays dentist’s instruction to patients for post-op care.
10. Maintains and records for supply levels and order supplies to be used and charting forms
11. Applies sealants as directed by dentist.
12. Aids in training of trainee dental assistants. Demonstrates clinic maintenance, chair side assistance and radiographic duties regularly performed. Observes and advises trainee as they perform these duties.
13. Pours and trims models and fabricates custom temporaries.
14. Completes or is trained on repairs of dentures and partials and fabricates acrylic partials as directed by the dentist either on the job or by means of training programs.
15. Maintains the confidentiality of all client specific information and data in accord with federal and state guidelines and requirements.
16. Presents a professional, caring image for the Health Center and its programs.
17. Maintains a cooperative relationship with other Health Center staff and co-workers.
18. Demonstrates tact, courtesy, and respect in communication and interaction with Health Center patients, visitors, and staff and with outside agencies and programs.
19. Promotes a working environment noted for effective cooperation and collaboration between programs, services, and co-workers.
20. Dresses appropriately to promote professionalism within the Health Center.
21. Utilizes the resources, materials, office supplies, equipment and physical plant allocated for use by the Red Cliff Community Health Center in accord with professional practice norms and Tribal policy.
22. Participates in quality assurance measures conducted within the Health Center.
23. Adheres to a professional code of conduct and applicable federal and state laws and regulations in the discharge of these assigned duties.
24. Attends staff and other meetings, in-services, and other events as directed by supervisor.
25. Willing to learn or has experience placing and contouring restorations as directed by the Dentist or training facility. These assignments will vary from time to time due to the cyclical nature of these program efforts.
26. The above duties and responsibilities are not an all-inclusive list but rather a general representation of the duties and responsibilities associated with this position. The duties and responsibilities will be subject to change based on organizational needs and/or deemed necessary by the supervisor.
SUPERVISORY AUTHORITY: None
KNOWLEDGE: Prefer knowledge of sterilization and infection control techniques and flexibility due to changes in infection control with Covid-19 precautions
1. Minimum of high school diploma, HSED or GED required.
2. Individual who is experienced in radiographic techniques for panoramic, periapical and bitewing x-rays. (Completion of the Dental Assistant training program and work experience should aid the applicant to gain appropriate knowledge.)
3. Prefer knowledge of oral anatomy and bone structure of the face to take diagnostic dental radiographs.
4. Prefer basic dental disease prevention techniques, basic dental terminology and record keeping procedures.
5. Must have a valid driver’s license, vehicle and appropriate vehicle coverage and maintain driver’s eligibility as a condition of employment. Be eligible to be put on the Tribe’s vehicle insurance policy.
PERSONAL CONTACTS: Daily contact with patients, visitors, primary care providers, Tribal and Health Center Administration, and other Health Center staff.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The duties assigned to this position involve bending, stooping, lifting, and carrying. Items may be placed on overhead storage. Weights to be carried are usually less than 50 pounds. At times, the Dental Assistant will be required to personally assist patients.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Red Cliff Community Health Center; office and clinic settings. Exposure to hazards of the health care industry. Work setting must be maintained as a clean, nonsmoking, well-ventilated area in compliance with all applicable safety regulations.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: The ability to travel and attend meetings and trainings; overnight and out of town, both locally & nationally.
BEHAVIOR AND ATTITUDE: The vision, goals and objectives of the Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa requires that the employee performs in both a professional and personable manner. The manner in which the employee relates to fellow employees, customers and visitors is considered parallel in importance to technical knowledge and ability. Respect and consideration given to the dignity of each customer, visitor and fellow employee is a requisite of successful job performance. Any behavior or attitude that tarnishes the name or image of the Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa will be subject to immediate disciplinary action up to and including termination.
Indian preference will be applied in the case of equally qualified applicants, but all qualified applicants will be considered.
This job description is subject to change at employer’s discretion, after consultation with the employee.
APPLICATION SUBMITTAL REQUIREMENTS: The following items are required for this position:
1. Completed Tribal Application, to include work history and references; available on the Tribal website.
2. Tribal Background Investigation Disclosure; available on the Tribal website.
3. Consent to Release Liability and Reference Information Form; available on the Tribal website.
4. Cover letter and resume.
5. Post-secondary transcripts or certifications; if applicable.
POSTING DATE: July 8, 2021
DEADLINE: Open Until Filled
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa
Human Resources Department
88455 Pike Road
Bayfield, WI 54814
Ashley Poch, Human Resources Director ext. 4268 or
Diane Cooley, Human Resources Coordinator ext. 4267
The Red Cliff Tribal Council has a Drug Free Work Place Policy and adheres to the intent of the Drug Free Work Place Act. All new hires are subject to a drug test prior to starting.
All applicants for employment with the Red Cliff Tribe will be subject to the background investigation and other requirements of RCCL Chapter 43, and are under a continuing obligation to supplement this application for employment with information concerning any convictions that occur after commencement of employment with the Tribe.
EMPLOYEE BENEFITS PACKAGE
THE EMPLOYEE BENEFITS PACKAGE INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING:
1. A Health Insurance Plan which is through the Federal Employee Health Benefits (FEHB). FEHB is offered for both single and family coverage. Employees considered to be full time status will be required to pay 12% of the premium for the plan selected.
2. The Dental package is through Delta Dental. This benefit is offered at no cost to the employees with single or family medical coverage.
3. Short Term Disability is offered to all employees at no cost and pays 60 % of weekly pay for a maximum of 90 days if you get sick or injured off the job.
4. Life insurance of $15,000 is included at no cost to all employees. Spouses are covered at $7,500.00 and children are prorated. Employees can purchase additional life insurance from the plan provider at their own cost.
5. Profit Sharing Plan with a 401(k) component is offered to employees after one year of work, with a minimum of 1000 hours. The Tribe puts 3% of employee’s wages into the Profit Sharing Plan.
6. The Tribe also offers General Leave to Full time employees. Employees will accrue 16 hours of General Leave per month and can accumulate up to 192 hours per year. After 5 years of employment, General Leave goes up to 20 hours per month with a maximum of 240 hours.
7. The Tribe observes a total of 11 paid holidays.
About Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians
The Red Cliff Tribal Council adopted the following mission statement on December 5, 1994.
The Tribal Council mission is "to promote, plan and provide for the health, welfare, education, environmental protection, cultural preservation and economic wellbeing of Tribal members and to protect treaty rights now and into the future."