POSITION: Financial Manager
LOCATION: Red Cliff Tribal Administration
SALARY: Negotiable (DOQ), Plus Benefits
SUPERVISOR(S): Tribal Administration
THIS IS A REGULAR FULL-TIME EXEMPT POSITION
JOB SUMMARY: Position is responsible for the reporting, accuracy of financial data, development, maintain of adequate internal controls and processes to protect tribal assets. Provide supervision to accounting staff.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Directing and managing the Tribal government’s accounting practices.
2. Financial planning and advisement.
3. Reporting in coordination with the Tribal Treasurer and Tribal Administration Liaison to the Tribal Council.
4. Enforcement of and compliance with all applicable internal and external policies, laws and regulations.
5. Ensuring that work is performed in accordance with the Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB) and Office of Management and Budget (OMB) regulations, laws and policies applicable to Tribal governments.
6. Monitoring the financial management and accounting practices of Tribal entities operating within the Tribal government structure.
7. Planning, coordinating, and preparing for year-end audits; developing responses to audit recommendations in a timely manner.
8. Developing and fostering relationships with government agencies, banking and lending institutions, investment managers, other Tribes, insurers, the financial community by performing the above stated duties personally or through subordinates.
9. Performing related work pursuant to the duties and responsibilities stated above in conjunction with the philosophy, mission and goals of the Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa.
SUPERVISORY AUTHORITY: Finance Departmental Staff
KNOWLEDGE: Solid accounting background and familiarity with financial reporting. General knowledge of Tribal government operations. Experience with major funding agencies such as the BIA, HUD and other agencies. Knowledge of Federal regulations relating to grants management.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or related field required, CPA preferred.
2. Requires a minimum of five (5) years of progressively more responsible financial, accounting and supervisory experience with last three years at the executive management level.
3. Minimum of 3 years’ experience in governmental accounting required and experience with Tribal government and funding agencies preferred.
4. Must possess a solid understanding of governmental accounting standards and be able to translate this knowledge into an accurate set of tribal financial statements.
5. Must be willing to take responsibility for the preparation of accurate tribal financial statements.
6. Strong communication skills- ability to report financial activity to management and tribal council.
7. Strong leadership skills.
8. Background working with federal grants and contracts.
9. Strong budgeting skills.
10. Must be familiar with accounting, management and office software systems. Familiarity with SAGE MIP accounting software preferred.
11. Knowledge of Native American culture, Tribal Governmental operations.
12. Must have a valid driver’s license, vehicle and appropriate vehicle coverage and maintain driver’s eligibility as a condition of employment. Be eligible to be put on the Tribe’s vehicle insurance policy.
13. Position subject to pre-employment drug screening and criminal history background check.
PERSONAL CONTACTS: Contacts on a daily basis with Tribal Administration, Tribal Program Administrators/Directors, Tribal staff, and community members.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Primarily office position that may require bending, lifting and reaching. Ability to work in an office setting and with computers. May need to lift up to 25 pounds.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: All Tribal offices are smoke free.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: Will be required to attend training and meetings both in state and out of state. Attend Tribal Council meetings and other meetings as directed.
BEHAVIOR AND ATTITUDE: The vision, goals and objectives of the Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa requires that the employee performs in both a professional and personable manner. The manner in which the employee relates to fellow employees, customers and visitors is considered parallel in importance to technical knowledge and ability. Respect and consideration given to the dignity of each customer, visitor and fellow employee is a requisite of successful job performance. Any behavior or attitude that tarnishes the name or image of the Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa will be subject to immediate disciplinary action up to and including termination.
Indian preference will be applied in the case of equally qualified applicants, but all qualified applicants will be considered.
This job description is subject to change at employer’s discretion, after consultation with the employee.
APPLICATION SUBMITTAL REQUIREMENTS: The following items are required for this position:
1. Completed Tribal Application, to include work history and references, available on the Tribal website.
2. Tribal Background Investigation Disclosure; available on the Tribal website.
3. Consent to Release Liability and Reference Information Form; available on the Tribal website.
4. Cover letter and resume.
5. Post-secondary transcripts or certifications; if applicable
POSTING DATE: May 14, 2021
DEADLINE: Open Until Filled
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Human Resources
88455 Pike Road
Bayfield, WI 54814
(715)779-3700 ext. 4268 or ext. 4267
The Red Cliff Tribal Council has a Drug Free Work Place Policy and adheres to the intent of the Drug Free Work Place Act. All new hires are subject to a drug test prior to starting.
All applicants for employment with the Red Cliff Tribe will be subject to the background investigation and other requirements of RCCL Chapter 43, and are under a continuing obligation to supplement this application for employment with information concerning any convictions that occur after commencement of employment with the Tribe.
EMPLOYEE BENEFITS PACKAGE
THE EMPLOYEE BENEFITS PACKAGE INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING:
1. A Health Insurance Plan which is through the Federal Employee Health Benefits (FEHB). FEHB is offered for both single and family coverage. Employees considered to be full time status will be required to pay 12% of the premium for the plan selected.
2. The Dental package is through Delta Dental. This benefit is offered at no cost to the employees with single or family medical coverage.
3. Short Term Disability is offered to all employees at no cost and pays 60 % of weekly pay for a maximum of 90 days if you get sick or injured off the job.
4. Life insurance of $15,000 is included at no cost to all employees. Spouses are covered at
5. $7,500.00 and children are prorated. Employees can purchase additional life insurance from the plan provider at their own cost.
6. Profit Sharing Plan with a 401(k) component is offered to employees after one year of work, with a minimum of 1000 hours. The Tribe puts 3% of employee’s wages into the Profit Sharing Plan.
7. The Tribe also offers General Leave to Full time employees. Employees will accrue 16 hours of General Leave per month and can accumulate up to 192 hours per year. After 5 years of employment, General Leave goes up to 20 hours per month with a maximum of 240 hours.
8. The Tribe observes a total of 11 paid holidays.
About Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians
The Red Cliff Tribal Council adopted the following mission statement on December 5, 1994.
The Tribal Council mission is "to promote, plan and provide for the health, welfare, education, environmental protection, cultural preservation and economic wellbeing of Tribal members and to protect treaty rights now and into the future."