POSITION: Transfer Station Manager
LOCATION: Red Cliff Transfer Station
WAGE: $14.00 -17.00 per hour, 40 hours per week, Plus Benefits
SUPERVISOR: Environmental Director and TNR Division Administrator
THIS IS A REGULAR FULL-TIME NON-EXEMPT POSITION
JOB SUMMARY: Perform all necessary activities to coordinate and manage the Solid Waste/Recycling Program for the Red Cliff Tribe.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Primary responsibilities include:
1. Overall management of the transfer station during normal business hours.
2. Community education regarding solid waste and recycling.
3. Seeking and maintaining funding for the solid waste/recycling program which also includes reporting, and general oversight of the day to day operations.
4. Assist in the development and/or outreach of education in relation to recycling, solid waste, and other related environmental issues.
5. Assist in planning community events, like Earth Day and Spring Clean Up.
6. Collect, sort, and arrange for transfer of recyclables solid waste, metal and hazardous waste.
7. Research and obtain business relationships with feasible earth friendly markets.
8. Travel will be required to attend meetings pertinent to recycling and waste reduction, as well as monthly Treaty Natural Resource Division meetings.
9. Maintain a clean, safe, and presentable working environment.
10. Receive and maintain certifications, such as Forklift Certification and minimum of 20-hour HAZWOPER Certification.
11. The above duties and responsibilities are not an all-inclusive list but rather a general representation of the duties and responsibilities associated with this position. The duties and responsibilities will be subject to change based on organizational needs and/or deemed necessary by the supervisor.
SUPERVISORY AUTHORITY: None
Basic understanding of environmental issues including solid waste and recycling. Basic knowledge of issues related to pollution and its’ effects on human and environmental health. Basic knowledge of sustainability as it relates to environmental practices. Knowledge of overall program oversight including record keeping, reporting, and management. Basic knowledge of Tribal government and the traditions of the Red Cliff Tribe as well as cultural issues related to the environment and natural resources. Must be able to or willing to maintain sufficient records including but not limited to financial.
1. Minimum of high school diploma, HSED or GED required.
2. Good communication skills, both oral and written.
3. Must have excellent computer and organizational skills as well as ability to work alone and/or with a diverse group of people.
4. Must have a valid driver’s license, vehicle and appropriate vehicle coverage and maintain driver’s eligibility as a condition of employment. Eligible to be put on the tribe’s vehicle insurance policy.
5. Highly preferred: six months to one-year experience with solid waste management, recycling management, hazardous waste management, or grounds keeping.
PERSONAL CONTACTS: Tribal Administration and Tribal Community Members.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Be able to walk through uneven terrain in various weather conditions. Must be able to bend and lift at least 50 pounds. The duties assigned to this position involve bending, stooping, lifting, and carrying.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Office and outdoor setting with a willingness to work outside the normal 8 to 5 hours, with potential for meetings to be after 4:30 pm. All Tribal Buildings are smoke free.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: May be required to travel to and from various project sites. The ability to travel and attend meetings and trainings; overnight and out of town, both locally & nationally. As needed, attend Tribal Council meetings and/or Treaty Natural Resource Division meetings as directed by supervisor.
BEHAVIOR AND ATTITUDE: The vision, goals and objectives of the Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa requires that the employee performs in both a professional and personable manner. The manner in which the employee relates to fellow employees, customers and visitors is considered parallel in importance to technical knowledge and ability. Respect and consideration given to the dignity of each customer, visitor and fellow employee is a requisite of successful job performance. Any behavior or attitude that tarnishes the image or name of the Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa will be subject to immediate disciplinary action up to and including termination.
Indian preference will be applied in the case of equally qualified applicants, but all qualified applicants will be considered.
This job description is subject to change at employer’s discretion, after consultation with the employee.
APPLICATION SUBMITTAL REQUIREMENTS: The following items are required for this position:
1. Completed Tribal Application, to include work history and references; available on the Tribal website.
2. Tribal Background Investigation Disclosure; available on the Tribal website.
3. Consent to Release Liability and Reference Information Form; available on the Tribal website.
4. Cover letter and resume.
5. Post-secondary transcripts or certifications; if applicable.
POSTING DATE: July 15, 2021
DEADLINE: July 29, 2021 @ 4:00 p.m.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa
Human Resources Department
88455 Pike Road
Bayfield, WI 54814
Ashley Poch, Human Resources Director ext. 4268 or
Diane Cooley, Human Resources Coordinator ext. 4267
The Red Cliff Tribal Council has a Drug Free Work Place Policy and adheres to the intent of the Drug Free Work Place Act. All new hires are subject to a drug test prior to starting.
All applicants for employment with the Red Cliff Tribe will be subject to the background investigation and other requirements of RCCL Chapter 43 and are under a continuing obligation to supplement the application for employment with information concerning any convictions that occur after commencement of employment with the Tribe.
EMPLOYEE BENEFITS PACKAGE – FULL-TIME EMPLOYEES
THE EMPLOYEE BENEFITS PACKAGE INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING:
1. A Health Insurance Plan which is offered through the Federal Employee Health Benefits (FEHB). FEHB is offered for both single and family coverage. Part-time employees will be on a prorated pay status depending on hours worked.
2. The Dental package is through Delta Dental. This benefit is offered at no cost to the employees with single or family medical coverage.
3. Short Term Disability is offered to all employees at no cost and pays 60 % of weekly pay for a maximum of 90 days if you get sick or injured off the job.
4. Life insurance of $15,000 is included at no cost to all employees. Spouses are covered at $7,500.00 and children are prorated. Employees can purchase additional life insurance from the plan provider at their own cost.
5. Profit Sharing Plan with a 401(k) component is offered to employees after one year of work, with a minimum of 1000 hours. The Tribe puts 3% of employee’s wages into the Profit Sharing Plan.
6. The Tribe also offers General Leave to Full time employees. Employees will accrue 16 hours of General Leave per month and can accumulate up to 192 hours per year. After 5 years of employment, General Leave goes up to 20 hours per month with a maximum of 240 hours.
7. The Tribe observes a total of 11 paid holidays.
About Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians
The Red Cliff Tribal Council adopted the following mission statement on December 5, 1994.
The Tribal Council mission is "to promote, plan and provide for the health, welfare, education, environmental protection, cultural preservation and economic wellbeing of Tribal members and to protect treaty rights now and into the future."