Job Title: Director of Finance
Reports to: Director of Operations
FLSA Status: Exempt
Salary: $70,000-$90,000, placement DOE
Position Description: The Director of Finance is a highly responsible Director Level position within the structure of the Resighini Rancheria. The individual occupying this position is responsible for supervising, planning, organizing, directing, and carrying out all aspects of the financial accounting and reporting activities of the Resighini Rancheria Tribal Government on a daily basis. The Director of Operations is directly responsible for the accuracy and timeliness of all financial tracking and reporting systems, financial forecasting and analysis, and financial reports assigned and maintained by the Financial Department of the Resighini Rancheria. The Director of Finance is in the Administration and is supervised by the Director of Operations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Under the guidance and direction of the Director of Operations:
- Process all payroll and member distributions; related federal and state taxes, and benefits as applicable.
- Process Accounts Payable and Receivable.
- Coordinate and manage the development and implementation of comprehensive annual operating budgets for all general, enterprise and special revenue funds and programs. The Tribe’s annual budget currently is ~$2m and there are <20 funds. Includes the preparation of revenue and expense forecasts and modeling, cash flow projections and analysis.
- Assure that internal and external financial reporting is timely and in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Tribal Policies at all times.
- Assure the accuracy, quality, security, protection, and preservation of all financial records, data, and tracking systems of the Tribe.
- Maintain financial policies, coordinate their timely review and update, disseminate approved revisions to Tribal personnel, and provide training on financial policies to Tribal personnel, as necessary.
- Assure that accounting transactions are properly coded and all appropriate accounts are adequately reconciled so that reliable reports can be produced in a timely manner.
- Prepare and submit accurate financial reports to the Executive Director and the Tribal Council on a regular basis.
- Prepare and submit financial grant reports (i.e. SF-425) to the awarding agencies as required.
- Prepare and submit draw requests to the awarding agencies on a timely basis.
- Reconciles all subsidiary ledgers to the General Ledger and ensures each ledger is in balance.
- Coordinate investments, banking, borrowing and related activities. Establish and maintain effective relations with appropriate institutions.
- Analyze federal budget and related legislative process and keep the Tribe informed on matters affecting the Resighini Rancheria. Recommend actions to be taken by the Tribe, with respect thereof.
- Prepare Management, Discussion and Analysis reports which outline the Tribal financial situation in areas of revenue, expenses, cash flow and management and /or operational concerns and make recommendations on how to address any identified concerns.
- Directly monitor all budgets and policy compliance to assure the timely identification and communication of any financial variance and policy deviation concerns to the Executive Director.
- Assure compliance with all applicable tribal, local, state, and federal regulations, accreditation, and licensure requirements.
- Manage treasury functions so cash flow is adequate to meet obligations.
- Coordinate and monitor long range planning, direction, and timely execution of the Tribe’s overall investment, treasury management and financial goals including the development and implementation of Investment Management Policies and Procedures. Recommends policy changes, as necessary.
- Meet and consult regularly with Department Directors/Managers to advise on department functions and activities, seek solutions to management problems, and make recommendations on opportunities to improve efficiency and cost effectiveness.
- Coordinate with all Department Directors/Managers to assure the accurate and timely completion of granting agency reporting and regulatory requirements.
- Prepare and coordinate all external financial and regulatory compliance audits in an accurate and timely manner.
- Review and responds to all audit reports issued by the auditors including significant findings and critical supporting documentation in a timely manner.
- Complete detailed and timely review of all required financial audits for the component units of the Tribe and report any concerns to the Executive Director.
- Exercise initiative and independence in planning and coordinating assignments or projects to be completed by subordinate staff.
- Represent the Resighini Rancheria as authorized by the Executive Director in name and title when carrying out Tribal business.
- Establish necessary operating policies and procedures for the financial and administrative functions necessary to safeguard tribal property and to ensure the compliance with Federal, State and Tribal Government Financial policies.
- Attend meetings as necessary and appropriate.
- Seek to maintain high employee morale and a professional, healthy atmosphere. Always serve as a role model to staff in terms of professional and ethical conduct and accountability.
- Must be exemplary in all aspects of integrity, professionalism, accountability, accuracy and quality of job performance, dedication, and standards at all times.
- Assemble the Tribe’s annual Indirect Cost Rate Proposal for submission in a timely manner.
- Other duties, as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: This position has supervisory responsibilities.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform all essential duties satisfactorily and have initiative to work independently to accomplish the tasks required. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and/or finance is required.
- A minimum of 6 years in accounting or financial management (preferably governmental background).
- Must have at least three years in a complex role of management and supervisory role, with a minimum of five direct report staff.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of sensitive Tribal information.
- Knowledge of fund accounting and an ability to develop and apply modern accounting methods in an automated accounting system.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, Tribal, and local agency accounting system and control requirements.
- Knowledge of generally accepted professional budget and accounting principles and standards.
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer software and applications, including proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Must have the ability to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing for purposes of correspondence, reports, and communication between workers, with Tribal Council, and with outside entities.
- Must have the ability to read, analyze, and interpret general written information, professional reports, and safety materials.
- Must be a team player and be flexible to adapt to changing circumstances.
- Must possess the ability and desire to work with the Resighini Rancheria tribal community.
- Must be willing to travel as needed, including by airplane, to attend conferences and trainings.
- Must have basic computer skills.
PREFERRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- Knowledge of Yurok culture and language.
- Master’s Degree in Accounting and/or finance is preferred.
- CPA license in good standing.
- Strong familiarity with Abila MIP Fund Accounting software.
CONDITIONS of EMPLOYMENT:
- Position is a full-time position.
- All applicants are subject to the Tribe’s Drug and Alcohol-Free Workplace Policy, including pre-employment screening.
- All applicants will acknowledge and abide by all Resighini Rancheria personnel and other policies and procedures.
- Preference will be given to qualified Native American Indian applicants subject to the Tribe’s Tribal Employment Rights Ordinance.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.