Job Title: Habitat Restoration Technician
Supervisor: Julie Lambert
Effective: June 1, 2022
SERG MISSION STATEMENT
SERG is a non-profit organization under the umbrella of the San Diego State University Research Foundation and is committed to restoring and preserving California’s sensitive vegetation communities for the benefit of the environment and the preservation of the ecosystem services they offer.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Habitat Restoration Technician will help implement habitat restoration and other botanical tasks. This position requires repetitive manual labor, working outdoors in harsh conditions, heavy lifting and carrying, and hiking on rugged terrain. This is a full-time, hourly position with full benefits. The starting salary is $17/hour. Relocation benefits will not be offered.
The following information is intended to be representative of the work performed by incumbents in this position and is not all-inclusive. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility will not preclude it from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical extension of position responsibilities.
Application of herbicide
Removal of non-native species manually and mechanically
Installation of erosion control material
Collection and propagation of native plant propagules
Maintenance of greenhouse and nursery facilities
Installation and maintenance of native species out-plantings
Monitoring of rare plant populations
Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIAL SKILLS
SERG is looking to hire someone with the following qualifications and professional skills.
· Bachelor’s degree in botany, ecology, biology, or related discipline
· Valid driver’s license
· Legal working status in the US
· Excellent physical fitness
· Ability to study for and obtain a qualified applicator certificate from the California Department of pesticide Regulation
· Willingness to apply herbicide
· Ability to carry over 30 lbs of herbicide solution in backpack sprayer for several hours in hot conditions
· Ability to repetitively carry over 40 lbs objects, kneel, crouch, and stand.
· Ability to pass a background check to obtain clearance for military base access
· Ability to interact respectfully and effectively with coworkers, management, and clients
· Ability to demonstrate a high level of cross-cultural sensitivity
· Ability and willingness to understand and follow work rules and procedures
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Highly motivated self-starter, with a high energy level and strong interpersonal skills.
· Well organized, ability to meet deadlines, detail oriented; possess good judgment and common sense.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIAL SKILLS
· Previous experience in habitat restoration
· Previous experience propagating native Southern California plants
· Familiarity with southern California flora
· Experience in GIS
· CA QAL or QAC
Send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references in one PDF to Julie Lambert at firstname.lastname@example.org and Jocelyn Diego Hernandez at email@example.com