Company:Qualcomm Technologies, Inc.
Job Area:Engineering Group, Engineering Group > Systems Engineering
Qualcomm is a company of inventors that unlocked 5G ushering in an age of rapid acceleration in connectivity and new possibilities that will transform industries, create jobs, and enrich lives. But this is just the beginning. It takes inventive minds with diverse skills, backgrounds, and cultures to transform 5Gs potential into world-changing technologies and products. This is the Invention Age – and this is where you come in.
General SummaryResearches, designs, develops, and tests operating systems-level software and/or hardware. Designs and coordinates complex engineering projects at the system level. Performs functional decomposition to drive requirements and specifications to both hardware and software. Analyzes information to determine, recommend, and plan installation of a new system or modification of an existing system. Ensures system-level performance and power metrics are met. Drives triage of problems at the system level to determine root cause.The responsibilities of this role include:
• Working independently with no supervision.
• Making decisions that are significant in impact, influencing overall program or project success, finances, and/or the ability to meet objectives; errors are not readily apparent due to the complexity of work process/product or time between decisions and results; errors typically result in significant expenditure of time, resources, and funds to correct.
• Using verbal and written communication skills to convey complex and/or detailed information to multiple individuals/audiences with differing knowledge levels. May require strong negotiation and influence, communication to large groups or high-level constituents.
• Having a great degree of influence over key organizational decisions (e.g., is making or directly making key decisions that have substantial impact on the organization).
• Completing tasks that require multiple steps that can be performed in various orders; tasks require simultaneously executing multiple cognitive abilities and maintaining information in short or long-term memory.
• Regularly determines what needs to be done and is involved with sharing innovative solutions to achieve broad policies and objectives.
• Using deductive and inductive problem solving; multiple approaches may be taken/necessary to solve the problem; often information is missing or conflicting; advanced data analysis and interpretation skills are required.
• Occasionally participates in strategic planning within own area affecting immediate operations.The responsibilities of this role do not include:
• Financial accountability (e.g., does not involve budgeting responsibility).
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
• Collaborates with others inside and outside of project team to accomplish project objectives.
• Resolves design and technical issues related to technical area of expertise.
• Consults with Qualcomm leaders, project team, and outside the organization to determine how best to address a new or unique problem.
• Creates overarching system strategy in order to direct work for the project team.
• Advises on design specifications for major features and large systems features to meet customer demands.
• Identifies and creates an influence strategy in order to gain buy-in of new, changing, or existing programs or projects. This includes identifying areas of improvement, recommending changes, and presenting information in a way that will appeal to key stakeholders.
• Networks with colleagues across the organization as well as with external partners to gain insight, ideas, and connections.
• Communicates within and outside of project team to resolve conflicts in technical implementation schedules, design challenges, and other complexities.
• Makes decisions as it pertains to determining areas of systems that require particular focus with regard to improved processes in order to create greater efficiency and higher productivity.
• Motivates sub-teams to perform at their best and accept change.
• Provides guidance throughout the team on prioritization of work tasks based on identified project setbacks.
• Unites individuals from different backgrounds, locations, and cultures to accomplish project goals.
• Applies and teaches others on industry best practices and technical standards.
• Works with high-level representatives from other functions (e.g., testing group, product group, customers) to develop and execute plan system design of a large initiative.
IT Core CompetenciesN/A
Required Competencies(All competencies are required upon entry)
• Analyzing Complex Information – The ability to collect information from a variety of different sources (e.g., platform level performance, resource constraints, performance dashboards, etc.), and identify fundamental patterns/trends across sets of highly complex data. This includes the ability to gather, integrate, and interpret high level information from multiple sources.
• Building Trusting Relationships – The ability to build trusting, collaborative relationships and rapport with different types of people and businesses. This includes delivering on commitments and maintaining confidential information, as well as being approachable, showing interest in the other person, and relating well to people regardless of personality or background.
• Communication – The ability to convey information clearly and accurately, as well as choosing the most effective method of delivery (e.g., email, phone, face-to-face). This includes using a technically sound communication style both verbally and in writing.
• Creating the New and Different – The ability to be creative. This includes the ability to produce breakthrough ideas, being a visionary, managing innovation, seeing multiple futures, having broad interests and knowledge, and gaining support in order to translate new ideas into solutions. This also includes the ability to plan and implement unconventional ideas and speculate about alternative futures without all of the data.
• Decision Making – The ability to make quick, accurate decisions. This includes the ability to weigh alternatives and take into account the impact of the decisions on people, equipment, or other resources.
• Getting Organized – The ability to be organized, resourceful, and planful. This includes the ability to leverage multiple resources to get things done and lay out tasks in sufficient detail. This also includes the ability to get things done with fewer resources and in less time, work on multiple tasks at once without losing track, and foresee and plan around obstacles.
• Mentoring and Coaching – The ability to develop, coach, and mentor associates. This includes the ability to provide development experiences and network opportunities, advise, and teach to prepare associates for effective job performance.
• Taking Initiative – The ability to attack work activities with drive and energy, understanding the impact of work on key metrics, and making decisions that are in the company’s best interest. This includes not being afraid to initiate action before all the facts are known, and driving value-added work tasks to completion.
• Technical Documentation – Ability to appropriately document software and/or hardware specifications to promote knowledge transfer to other engineers.
• Systems Engineering – The ability to plan and design tests for proper integration of systems components and features. This includes the ability to analyze information to determine, recommend, and plan installation of a new system or modification of an existing system, requirements allocation, interface definition, behavior and performance definition.
• Technical Troubleshooting – Knowledge of systematic approaches to solving common technical problems (e.g., hardware, software, application, operational). This includes the ability to identify problems and report and escalate problems according to established procedures. This also includes the ability to identify available resources for troubleshooting.
• Time Management – The ability to quickly prioritize mission-critical from less important or trivial work activities. This includes sensing what the next most useful thing is to work on, and focusing on the critical few tasks that add value while putting aside or delaying the rest.
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Information Systems, Computer Science, or related field.
• 8+ years Systems Engineering or related work experience.
• 15+ years Systems Engineering or related work experience.
• 3+ years of work experience in a role requiring interaction with executive leadership (e.g., Vice President level and above).
• 4+ years experience with Database Management Software.
• 4+ years experience with Development Environment Software such as Apache Maven, Ruby, etc.
• 4+ years experience working in a large matrixed organization.
• 4+ years experience with Testing Software such as Bugzilla, LoadRunner, etc.
• Master’s Degree in Engineering, Information Systems, Computer Science or related field.
• Frequently transports between offices, buildings, and campuses up to ½ mile.
• Frequently transports and installs equipment up to 5 lbs.
• Performs required tasks at various heights (e.g., standing or sitting).
• Monitors and utilizes computers and test equipment for more than 6 hours a day.
• Continuous communication which includes the comprehension of information with colleagues, customers, and vendors both in person and remotely.
Applicants: If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation during the application/hiring process, please call Qualcomm’s toll-free number found here (https://qualcomm.service-now.com/hrpublic?id=hr_public_article_view&sysparm_article=KB0039028) for assistance. Qualcomm will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, to support individuals with disabilities to be able participate in the hiring process. Qualcomm is also committed to making our workplace accessible for individuals with disabilities. Qualcomm is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity.
To all Staffing and Recruiting Agencies: Our Careers Site is only for individuals seeking a job at Qualcomm. Staffing and recruiting agencies and individuals being represented by an agency are not authorized to use this site or to submit profiles, applications or resumes, and any such submissions will be considered unsolicited. Qualcomm does not accept unsolicited resumes or applications from agencies. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Qualcomm employees or any other company location. Qualcomm is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes/applications.
EEO Employer: Qualcomm is an equal opportunity employer; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or any other protected classification.
If you would like more information about this role, please contact Qualcomm Careers (http://www.qualcomm.com/contact/corporate) .
We are engineers, scientists and business strategists. We are from many different countries and speak many different languages. We come from diverse cultures and have unique perspectives. Together, we focus on a single goal—we invent breakthrough technologies that transform how the world connects, computes, and communicates.
Employment Notices for US-based Job Postings
Equal Employment Opportunity (https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
“EEO is the Law” Poster Supplement
Pay Transparency NonDiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf)
Employee Polygraph Protection Act
Family Medical Leave Act (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/WHD/legacy/files/fmlaen.pdf)
Rights of Pregnant Employees
Discrimination and Harassment (https://www.dfeh.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/32/2020/10/Workplace-Discrimination-Poster_ENG.pdf)
California Family Rights Act
Prepare and succeed
Qualcomm Interview FAQs (https://www.qualcomm.com/company/careers/faqs)
Employment Fraud Alert
We have received reports of employment scams that seek financial or personal information from job candidates. Please note these communications are fraudulent. Click here (https://www.qualcomm.com/employment-fraud-alert) to view our Employment Fraud Alert.
Who is Qualcomm, and what do we do? We are engineers, scientists and business strategists. We are from many different countries and speak many different languages. We come from diverse cultures and have unique perspectives. Together, we focus on a single goal—invent mobile technology breakthroughs.