106 Group is seeking a senior architectural historian based out of our St. Paul office. This is an excellent opportunity to contribute on a range of interesting projects and collaborate with a great team of people.
The senior architectural historian will be expected to serve as Principal Investigator on projects, as needed. The architectural historian will lead reconnaissance identification and intensive National Register evaluation surveys, support Section 106 documentation, and prepare local designation studies, historic context studies, and mitigation documentation, primarily in Minnesota. Tasks will include historical research, field survey, and reporting.
106 Group offers a competitive salary and benefits package. The salary range for this position is $55,000 to $75,000 plus benefits commensurate with experience.
- M.A. or M.S. degree in architectural history, historic preservation, or closely related field, or equivalent experience to meet the Secretary of the Interior’s Professional Qualification Standards in Architectural History
- Previous cultural resources management and/or preservation planning work experience
- A working knowledge of cultural resources management laws and process
- Experience defining and conducting reconnaissance and intensive architectural history surveys and evaluations, mitigation documentation, local designation studies, historic context development, and National Register nominations
- Strong project management skills
- Knowledge of the history and architectural styles of the Midwest and Great Plains
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and taking digital photographs
- Ability to work remotely, with adequate internet connection for video conferencing
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Excellent research, writing, and critical thinking skills
- Ability to adapt quickly and prioritize multiple active projects
- Ability to work individually and as a team
- Willingness to contribute to other tasks that may not be related to architectural history
- Valid driver’s license, access to a vehicle, and ability to travel to research repositories and/or project sites
Additional experience valued or preferred:
- Prequalified with a state or federal agency
- More than two years’ experience working as a Principal Investigator for Architectural History
- Previous cultural resources experience in Minnesota
- Copy editing skills
About The 106 Group Ltd.
About 106 Group
106 Group is a national leader in providing consulting services in cultural heritage planning, cultural resource management, interpretation, and exhibit design. We offer a professional and friendly working environment with a wide range of interesting and challenging projects.
At 106 Group, we are committed to connecting people, place, and time by providing a wide range of consulting services throughout the nation. If you want to work as part of a supported collaborative team, be innovative, and have a flexible and diverse work environment, then 106 Group is the perfect company for you. www.106group.com
106 Group offers a friendly and flexible work environment with a hybrid-office allowing staff the flexibility to work from home or our office depending on project and training needs. 106 Group follows health and safety guidelines as defined by the CDC and the MN Dept of Health.
Please complete our web application and submit it with an attached PDF of your resume and a cover letter highlighting your skills. Please also send some short samples of your writing skills.
106 Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to celebrating diversity and promoting inclusion in the workplace. All are welcome and encouraged to apply.