Position: Architectural Historian
Location: 106 Group, St. Paul, Minnesota
The 106 Group is seeking an architectural historian for our St. Paul office. This is a full-time project-specific position for 2019, with the possibility of additional full-time work into 2020 and beyond based on project needs. The architectural historian will assist with reconnaissance identification and intensive evaluation surveys, primarily in Minnesota and Virginia. The 106 Group offers a professional and friendly working environment with a wide range of interesting and challenging projects in the field of cultural resources management, planning, community engagement, and design. See www.106group.com for more information on our firm.
Project-specific needs include historical research, field survey, and reporting. The architectural historian will serve on a two-person team for field survey and will be responsible for taking photographs, preparing sketch maps, and writing architectural descriptions. During reporting, the architectural historian will summarize research findings and evaluate historical significance according to the National Register of Historic Places criteria.
* B.A. or B.S. degree in architectural history, historic preservation, or closely related field
* Experience identifying architectural styles, materials, and features, and drawing sketch maps
* Knowledge of the history and architectural styles of the Midwest, Great Plains, and Mid-Atlantic
* Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and taking digital photographs
* Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
* Strong research skills
* Ability to adapt quickly and work well under pressure
* Ability to work individually and as a team
* Valid driver’s license and ability to commute to office and/or project site
* Contribute to other company projects as needed that may not be related to architectural history
Additional experience valued or preferred:
* M.A. or M.S. degree in architectural history, historic preservation, or closely related field
* Previous cultural resources management and/or preservation planning work experience, particularly historic resource survey and identification
* Previous experience writing building descriptions and evaluating historical significance
Fieldwork is a requirement of this position, travel may be necessary depending on project need.
Starting wage is $18.00/hour. This is an hourly position that is not eligible for company benefits however based on performance and company need, there is potential for advancement to a salaried, full-time position eligible for benefits.
Please complete our web application and submit it with an attached PDF of your resume and a cover letter highlighting your skills.
The 106 Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About The 106 Group Ltd.
The 106 Group offers a professional and friendly working environment with a wide range of interesting and challenging projects in the fields of cultural resources management, planning, community engagement, and design. See 106group.com for more information about our firm.