DEFINITION: Under general supervision, performs clerical accounting and bookkeeping
duties requiring a working knowledge of assigned accounting functions, accuracy, and attention
to detail; incumbents work within established procedures entering data to records of original
entry, preparing summary statements, and checking forms for completeness and accuracy;
performs works as assigned.
Essential Functions: This is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all
functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.
Tasks: Prepares and verifies amounts and codes for various standards accounting entries, data
input, completing forms; encodes and obtains necessary approvals for processing; sorts
documents and posts debits/credits to proper accounts; balances and reconciles accounting
records with Kayenta Township accounting system; make necessary corrections.
Reviews reports to identify and trace sources of error and makes necessary corrections; performs
research to locate accounting input errors; performs verification and reconciliation activities for
assigned accounts of a complex nature; maintains a variety of records pertinent to accounting
processes or procedures, such as records of cash receipts, cash deposits, property control records,
accounts payable or accounts receivables.
Verifies billing statements and prepares for authorization; check for completeness and
compliance with federal, states, and tribal regulations; contacts various KTC personnel to resolve
discrepancies or problems; answers questions/inquiries regarding work being performed,
compiles numerical and statistical information for report purposes or simple financial statements;
generates a variety of reports from computer records; makes and checks relatively complex
numerical and statistical calculations; processes specialization information; reports and forms
into the financial accounting systems.
Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS:
• Knowledge of accounting methods and practices to accurately conduct analysis and to
validate transactions including the resolution of inconsistencies.
• Knowledge of accounting, budget and financial transactions associated with tracking ad
recording budget transactions.
• Knowledge of automated accounting practice to reconcile errors.
• Knowledge of basic business math.
• Knowledge of bookkeeping practices and principles.
• Knowledge of public relations/customer service principles, practices, and techniques.
• Skill in preparing and maintaining accurate records, reports, and files
• Still in understanding and following oral and written directions.
• Skill in utilizing computer databases to research, maintain and update records and files
• Skill in establishing cooperative work relationships with those contacted in the course of
• Ability to use MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and other related MS Software.
• AA Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, or any related degree. A minimum of fiveyears (5) increasingly responsible bookkeeping and clerical accounting experience; or an
equivalent combination of education; training; and experience which provides the
capabilities to perform the described duties.
• five (5) years of experience in a professional business office.
• Possess a valid state driver’s license.
• Depending upon the needs of the Kayenta Township, some incumbents of the class may
be required to demonstrate fluency in both the Navajo and English languages as a
condition of employment.
Application available at: www.kayentatownship-nsn.gov
About The Kayenta Township
Kayenta serves as the first municipally structured government established on the great Navajo Nation as a permanent political sub-division. A local government that has been established by local visionaries who understand the need to harness local empowerment, in its truest form, for the stability and well-being of Kayenta's economic future.