Reports To: Tribal Chairperson/Tribal Council
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Position Summary: The Tribal Administrator is responsible for the daily operations of assigned Tribal programs, including all contracts and grants administration. The Tribal Administrator will Maintain a professional appearance, attitude and working environment for the La Jolla Band of Luiseno Indians, its employees and its Tribal Members at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Oversee all Tribal Programs and must be flexible and available to travel.
2. Administer grants of the Tribe to ensure results and oversees grants administered by Directors, Grants Managers, or Coordinators with respect to overall program goals and
objectives established within the scope and purpose of the grants.
3. Coordinates department head meetings to review policy directives and obtain progress reports on a monthly basis. Evaluates the effectiveness of programs, identifies administrative problem areas, prescribes and monitors corrective action plans.
4. Remains apprised of recommended policy changes for Human Resources Management to keep Tribal Personnel policies up to date. Recruits, interviews, and recommends the hiring of key personnel and department heads of the La Jolla Band of Luiseno Indians.
5. Coordinates an administrative review process for all approved grants to ensure managers and directors submit financial and program reports to Federal agencies in a timely and efficient manner.
6. Assist in negotiations of Tribal Council approved contracts, grant agreements and contracts for services or leases.
7. Interfaces with grant agencies and Tribal management personnel to assure programs are managed in compliance with applicable regulations and Tribal policies and operating procedures governing personnel, finance, contracting, administration, records, facilities, and property.
8. Takes Corrective action when fiscal, contracting, personnel, or other administrative problems are identified in coordination with Tribal Chief Financial Officer and as approved by Tribal Council.
9. Provides reports regularly to the Tribal Council concerning the status of all assignments, duties, projects and functions of the various programs and activities, assists in establishing programs objectives and meeting deadlines, preparing resolutions, contracts, budgets, reports and other support documents as needed.
10. Performs other related duties as directed by the Tribal Council.
● Bachelor of Arts degree or Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration or Public Administration or related degree with three years of successful work experience as an administrator or in a position of equal level or responsibility; or
● A minimum of five years in an administrative capacity and/or combination of education, training, and experience in community development, business management, supervision, and administration equal to five years of successful experience as an administrator or in a position of equal responsibility.
● Must demonstrate basic knowledge of principles and practices in the following administrative function: Employment Law, Fiscal operations, Audit preparation, financial management, Human Resources/Personnel, Property and Contract Management as part of team management responsibilities with Tribal Comptroller.
● Must have experience and capability in planning and directing complex work projects, and the ability to develop, present and gain acceptance for long-range program plans and budgets.
● Must be computer literate, be bondable, have excellent analytical, oral, written and organizational skills, and have working knowledge of current Tribal and Federal laws and regulations.
The Tribal Council or hiring committee may consider and waive certain qualifications based on an evaluation of experience of the individual applicant.
Native American Indian Preference shall apply to this position pursuant to the Indian Self-Determination and Education Assistance Act (24 U.S.C. 450, et seq.), 25 CFR 271.44 and other relevant laws (title 25, U.S. code, Section 472 & 473).
Please Send Resume To:
La Jolla Band of Luiseno Indians
22000 HWY 76
Pauma Valley, CA 92070
ATTN: Human Resources Administrator