UC San Diego
Filing Deadline: Wed 5/22/2019
Salary Range: $34.35 /hour
Works independently or with a crew. Performs journey level painting using brush, roller, conventional and airless paint spraying equipment; ceramic tile repair, shower surround installation; Maintenance and repair of various floor coverings including sheet products, deck coatings, and carpets. Repairs stucco and lath and plaster. Must have a strong knowledge of and experience with tools, equipment and products of the trade(s). Must have knowledge of EPA codes and regulations as they pertain to the trade(s).
Housing Dining Hospitality (HDH) is a self-funded, large and complex campus department consisting of 7 divisions, with approximately 700 career employees, 1000 to 1200 student employees and an annual operating budget of greater than $170 million. HDH provides housing for approximately 15,000 undergraduates, grad students, faculty, staff and their families in over 400 buildings covering approximately 6 million sq. ft. HDH is in the midst of implementing an aggressive building plan which will add 5000 new beds and almost double our square footage by 2021.
Currently, HDH houses 38% of UCSD’s enrolled students with a goal of housing 50% in the near future. HDH provides maintenance and repair, contract meals/meal plan management, as well as retail food service, conference services and catering services to residents, students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors.
• Required to work overtime as needed. Subject to emergency call in.
• Physical ability to perform indicated tasks. Able to carry tools and walk to various locations.
• Must working at extended heights.
• Ability to safeguard areas and keys assigned to you.
Please click here to see the Housing Dining Hospitality websites – http://hds.ucsd.edu/ and http://hdh.ucsd.edu/maintenance/
• Knowledge of construction materials used in painting trade. Ability to determine repair needs and inform supervisor.
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the installation and preparation of drywall and plaster surfaces.
• Knowledge of how to prepare a surface to be painted such as sanding, scraping, wire brushing, and strip with a stripping compound.
• Thorough knowledge of all power (including power saw, power sander, airless spray gun) and hand tools used in performance of assigned tasks, including cleaning and care.
• Demonstrated knowledge of different types of cements such as plastic or common.
• Strong ability to read color chart and finish schedules and interpret drawings and sketches
• A minimum of four (4) years journeyman level painting experience.
• Ability to maintain inventory and control stock for assigned areas.
• Technical ability to learn and use a computer and handle device to communicate via email and complete MAXIMO work order.
• Knowledge of related safety regulations and practices. Knowledge and ability to work in a safe manner according to local, federal, state and university requirements.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills and diplomacy. Ability to communicate and relate to students, public, and staff both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to work effectively in an environment subject to frequently changing priorities and work assignments. Ability to work well in a team or alone. Skills to organize and prioritize work. Skills to follow verbal and written instructions.
• Ability to provide excellent customer service, including greeting the customers, completing work in a professional, cooperative manner, providing a solution or estimated time when you can get back to them, and following up until the job is completed.
• Job offer is contingent upon a satisfactory clearance based on background check results.
• A valid California driver’s license must participate in the DMV pull.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
About UC San Diego
The University of California, San Diego is a public research university located in the La Jolla neighborhood of San Diego, California, in the United States. The university occupies 2,141 acres near the coast of the Pacific Ocean with the main campus resting on approximately 1,152 acres.