UC San Diego
NIGHT SHIFT SENIOR BUILDING MAINTENANCE WORKER
Filing Deadline: Wed 9/29/2021
Salary Range: $21.45- $27.73 /hour
Performs semi-skilled tasks independently or as part of a regular maintenance crew. Responsible for the maintenance and repair of buildings and related facilities and equipment using tools of the trade. Tasks include, but are not limited to, repairing appliances, disposals, pumps, heating systems, interior lighting, soldering and pipefitting, furniture and window treatment repair, installation and replacement, e- electronic lock installation, general maintenance, and repairs. Responsible for trouble shooting residential maintenance problems and for preventive maintenance work. Responsible for managing and documenting all work performed in a computerized maintenance work order systems via MAXIMO and handheld technologies (including asset and part management). Provide customer service to residents and guests through the year. Will be assigned to cover campus housing and dining buildings and grounds Work may be dispatched by Customer Service Center dispatcher and/or maintenance supervisor.
Housing Dining Hospitality (HDH) is a self-funded, large and complex campus department consisting of 7 divisions, with approximately 700 career employees, 1000 to 1200 student employees and an annual operating budget of greater than $170 million. HDH provides housing for approximately 15,000 undergraduates, grad students, faculty, staff and their families in over 400 buildings covering approximately 6 million sq. ft. HDH is in the midst of implementing an aggressive building plan which will add 5000 new beds and almost double our square footage by 2021.
Currently, HDH houses 38% of UCSD’s enrolled students with a goal of housing 50% in the near future. HDH provides maintenance and repair, contract meals/meal plan management, as well as retail food service, conference services and catering services to residents, students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors.
“Housing/Dining/Hospitality commits to facilitating an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment, fostering a sense of belonging for our students and staff. As HDH we understand, each unique individual with their varied thoughts and experiences is what makes our department strong. Aligning with UC San Diego’s Office for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion strategic goals, Housing/Dining/Hospitality is proud to promote and create opportunities for greater equity, diversity and inclusiveness within our division.”
Please click here for more information – http://hds.ucsd.edu/
• Minimum two (2) years of experience in building maintenance trade.
• Ability to read technical instruction manuals and drawings.
• Ability to perform maintenance and repair on natural gas heaters. water heaters, and residential hydronic heating systems.
• Ability to maintain and repair domestic appliances, such as electrical ranges, garbage disposals, ventilation fans, including repair of refrigerator door switches, defrost timers, and freezer fans.
• Ability to install, maintain and repair interior and exterior lighting systems including transformers and ballast used in fluorescent lighting. Ability to repair free-standing light fixtures.
• Knowledge and ability to use soft soldering equipment (propane/MAPP/acetyle gas hand torch).
• Knowledge in sizing pipe, piping materials, types and schedules.
• Ability to use hand tools and utilize all equipment common to the building maintenance trades.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to work well in a team or alone.
• Ability to effectively interact with diverse groups of people.
• Ability to work effectively in an environment subject to frequentchanging priorities.
• Technical ability to learn and use a computer and handle device to communicate via email and complete MAXIMO work order.
• Must have the ability to function effectively as a team member, including working cooperatively and positively with co-workers to achieve unit and area goals.
• Ability to provide excellent customer service, including greeting the customers, completing work in a professional, cooperative manner, providing a solution or an estimated time when you can get back to them, and following up till the job is completed.
• Ability to communicate effectively with people of many diverse backgrounds, including students, staff, faculty, and guests.
• Job offer is contingent upon satisfactory clearance based on Background Check results.
• Valid California driver’s license required and must participate in the DMV Pull program.
• Available for overtime and call-ins
• Available for shift work, including rotating and permanent – may need to work five 8-hour or four 10-hour shifts, including day shift, evening shift and night shift. Proper notice will be given.
Our employees enjoy competitive compensation packages and educational opportunities in a diverse, stimulating workforce. Click here for Details – https://employment.ucsd.edu/benefits
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
About UC San Diego
The University of California, San Diego is a public research university located in the La Jolla neighborhood of San Diego, California, in the United States. The university occupies 2,141 acres near the coast of the Pacific Ocean with the main campus resting on approximately 1,152 acres.