UC San Diego
Salary Range: $22.58- $26.50 / Hour
This position offers a hybrid work arrangement, including three (3) onsite days and two (2) remote days of work.
Provides high-level administrative support to the Director of Human Resources for Housing, Dining, Hospitality (HDH), dealing with various complex and sensitive issues. Independently manages special projects for the Director of HR and assesses and recommends modifications to existing HR processes and procedures, among other duties as assigned. The position provides research and analysis to the HR Division on labor agreements, PPSM, and department practices and drafts responses to various sensitive correspondence, including grievances, complaints, DFEH, EEOC, and unemployment claims. Assists the Director with the day-to-day operation of the HR Office. Handles and prioritizes correspondence and telephone inquiries, initiating and coordinating meetings and managing a complex calendar. The Executive Assistant also maintains sensitive and confidential information in electronic and paper form, extracting, analyzing, researching, and displaying data as required. Maintains confidential files/documents on department staff. Coordinates, attends, and provides administrative support for various meetings for the Director. Independently takes initiative to solve all issues and problems while doing business, setting priorities and directing and handling as appropriate while maintaining standards of professionalism and strict confidentiality.
Housing Dining Hospitality (HDH) is a self-funded, large and complex campus department consisting of 7 divisions, with approximately 700 career employees, 1000 to 1200 student employees and an annual operating budget of over $189 million. HDH provides housing for approximately 18,000 undergraduates, grad students, faculty, staff and their families in over 400 buildings covering approximately 6 million sq. ft. HDH is implementing an aggressive building plan which will add 10,000 new beds and almost double our square footage by 2032. Currently, HDH houses 38% of UCSD’s enrolled students with a goal of housing 65% in the near future. HDH provides maintenance and repair, contract meals/meal plan management, retail food service, conference services, and catering services to residents, students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors. Please visit the HDH website http://hdh.ucsd.edu/.
• Demonstrated ability to perform various personnel functions such as writing job cards, preparing personnel actions to include disciplinary actions, re-classification requests, equity requests, and providing basic information on benefits.
• Experience as an administrative assistant in a human resources/personnel office setting.
• Knowledge of UC San Diego purchasing methods, including LVPO and Payment Authorization.
• Skill and ability to analyze, develop, coordinate, and implement office systems to ensure efficient operation.
• Skill in conceptualizing, planning, and organizing events and projects.
• Proven ability to use word processing, database, spreadsheet, e-mail, and desktop publishing software, preferably MS Word, Access, Excel, MS Publisher, and MS Outlook.
• Ability to operate standard office equipment such as fax, copy machine, adding machine, telephone systems, and shredder.
• Demonstrated skills in working effectively with frequent interruptions, changing priorities, and conflicting deadlines.
• Ability to work independently.
• Proven interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written, including knowledge of correct English grammar, spelling, punctuation, and usage.
• Proven ability to exercise tact, mature judgment, confidentiality, diplomacy, and flexibility to promote positive working relationships and job effectiveness.
• Demonstrated ability to interpret and follow directions effectively.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Skill to independently organize a continuous flow of work promptly while meeting deadlines and with close attention to detail.
• Excellent customer service skills for interacting with students, staff, and the public.
• Attention to detail in completing forms and projects.
• Proven organizational and problem-solving skills with the ability to prioritize and coordinate workload.
• Job offer is contingent upon satisfactory clearance based on background check results.
• Must have valid CA Driver’s License and good driving record. Operating needs of the department require varied work schedules (i.e., a.m., p.m., and/or weekend shifts and/or 10-hour workdays).
• Employees may be required to take off (vacation or temporary layoff) during scheduled operational shutdown periods, such as Christmas, Spring, and Summer breaks.
• Employees may be required to change work location daily as needed or for an indefinite time period.
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
To foster the best possible working and learning environment, UC San Diego strives to cultivate a rich and diverse environment, inclusive and supportive of all students, faculty, staff and visitors. For more information, please visit UC San Diego Principles of Community – https://ucsd.edu/about/principles.html.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
About UC San Diego TEACHING & LEARNING COMMONS
The Teaching + Learning Commons (the Commons) is the campus-wide innovative infrastructure for comprehensive faculty and student support. It is the executive branch of the EVC for advancing teaching excellence and student success.