The Division of Information Technology (DoIT) invites applications to apply for the Director of Systems Administration position. The position provides management and operational oversight for the Division of Information Technology System Operations Team.
• Responsible for strategies, implementation and support of all application, information, systems, security, and technology activities.
• Identify the need for software and hardware upgrades, configuration changes, new systems.
• Assess, direct, and determine current and future IT staffing needs, to support the growth of DoIT.
• Leverage advanced analytics and data to find business insights and faster decision making.
• Lead IT strategic and operational planning to achieve business goals by fostering innovation, prioritizing IT initiatives, and coordinating the evaluation, deployment, and management of current and future IT systems across the organization.
• Develop and maintain an appropriate IT organizational structure that supports the needs of the business.
• Establish Systems & IT department goals, objectives, and operating procedures.
• Develop and execute methodologies and processes that ensure the most effective use of resources.
• Oversee all technology operations and evaluate them according to established goals.
• Devise and establish IT policies and systems to support the implementation of strategies set by DoIT.
• Control budget and report on expenditures
• Manage staff resources including developing work plans and work evaluations
• The position will report to the Associate Vice Chancellor Information Research/Chief Information Officer.
• Work independently with minimal guidance from management.
• Other duties as assigned to meet division goals.
• Proven experience as Director of Systems, IT, or similar role
• 1 – 3 years supervisory experience
• Working level of knowledge and experience with a broad base of adjoining technologies including storage area networks, local area networks, virtualization software, and hyper converged technologies.
• Possess strong troubleshooting abilities to maintain high levels of system uptime and performance.
• Experience in analysis, implementation and evaluation of IT systems and their specifications
• Experience in setting and controlling information technology budget.
• Excellent organizational and leadership skills
• Outstanding communication abilities
• Ability to effectively manage projects, including budget, development, and implementation.
• Ability to work in a team environment including the ability to give honest, direct feedback as well as being a solid verbal and written communicator.
• BS/BA in computer science, engineering, or relevant field
Minimum Training and Experience Requirements: Master Degree preferred or Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Computer Engineering or closely related degree from an appropriately accredited institution and three years of experience in operations analysis and design, systems programming, or closely related area; or a Bachelor’s Degree from an appropriately accredited institution and four years of experience in operations analysis and design, systems programming or closely related area; or an Associate’s Degree in Computer Information Technology, Computer Engineering Technology or Networking Technology from an appropriately accredited institution and five years of experience in operations analysis and design, systems programming, or closely related area; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Journey level requires an additional one year of education or experience. Advanced level requires an additional two years of education or experience.
• Minimum of three (3) years of experience as Linux Systems Administrator;
• Minimum of five (5) years of system administration experience in Linux environments, proficient in tasks such as shell scripting, creating cron jobs, analyzing log files, managing user accounts and groups and setting up mail services; and automated systems management tools, such as Puppet, Ansible, RHEL Satellite, OpenManage and Nagios;
• Minimum of three (3) years of experience with VMware vCenter management; Linux systems security management; and IT infrastructure or implementing and supporting similar technologies and services;
• Experience as a Windows System Administrator;
• Proficient knowledge in VMWare administration;
• Proficiency with converged or hyper-converged storage hardware;
• Ability to rapidly master and apply new technologies and methodologies;
• Working Knowledge of Windows, Linux, or Unix Operating Systems;
• Familiarity with Cloud technologies;
• Project management skills;
• Experience installing, configuring and maintaining Linux operating system from the command-line both locally and remotely; software RAID and hardware RAID; Apache, Tomcat and Java; industry disaster recovery technologies and their implementation;
• Experience with cloud deployment and management tool;.
• Knowledge of networks, including TCP/IP routing, VPN and firewalls/iptables;
• Familiarity with NetApp storage and NAS systems a plus;
• Solid understanding of network and application protocols (DNS, DHCP, HTTP/s, SSH, SMTP, LDAP);
• Solid problem-solving and troubleshooting skills;
• Independent, self-starter with proven ability to multi-task;
• Ability to prioritize work activities and balance support tasks with project tasks;
• Proven ability to procure and maintain high quality documentation
Licenses and Certifications:
Red Hat Certified Engineer, Red Hat Certified System Administrator, Oracle Database Administrator Certified Master, Oracle Database Administrator Certified Professional, Oracle Database Administrator Certified Associate, Oracle Database Performance Tuning Certified Expert, VMware Certified Professional 5 – Data Center Virtualization, VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration, VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design, VMware Certified Design Expert 5 – Data Center Virtualization, NetApp Certified SAN Implementation Engineer, NetApp Certified Backup and Recovery Implementation Engineer, NetApp Certified Data Management Administrator, F5 Certified Solutions Expert, F5 Certified Technology Specialist, F5 Certified Administrator preferred.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
This position is subject to the successful completion of an employment background check. An employment background check includes a criminal background check, employment verification, reference checks, license verification (if applicable) and credit history check (if applicable).
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
New employees are paid only by direct deposit to the financial institution of their choice. Candidates claiming Veterans Preference must attach a copy of their DD-214 as a part of the online application process.
UNC Pembroke is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The University prohibits discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibits discrimination against all individuals based on their age, race, color, genetic information, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression and national origin. UNC Pembroke is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and seeks priority referrals of protected veterans for our openings.