Job Location: Los Angeles, CA 90026 (100% On-Site)
Reports to (title): Dental Office Manager/Dental Director
Working title: Registered Dental Assistant
Salary Range: $22-$32 per hour DOE/DOQ
Hours/Week: 40 hours/week
The Registered Dental Assistant is responsible for greeting visitors, scheduling appointments and delivering exceptional customer service assistance. This entails answering calls and fielding them accordingly, addressing visitor questions and needs, and providing an overall welcoming environment. This frequently includes performing ad hoc administrative duties as needed. The incumbent should be professional, friendly, extremely organized, and comfortable multi-tasking. This position will serve as the dentists’ chair-side assistant and is responsible for preparing operatories and instruments, assuring patient records are accurate, and promoting disease prevention activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Welcome visitors in a professional and friendly manner, answering any questions visitors may have
- Maintain professional appearance and functionality of the reception area as well as all common areas at all times
- Answer and direct phone calls in a professional and friendly manner
- Keep detailed and accurate records of visitor requests and calls received
- Schedule, confirm, follow-up and cancel patient appointments
- Complete Dental Charting and Treatment Planning
- Translate dental services into proper billable codes
- Manage office inventory and supplies
- Assist the dentist in he administration of treatment at the chair as required or directed by the dentist
- Maintain sterilization and testing of equipment meeting audit requirements from HRSA
- Handle test results including x-rays
- Ensure proper disposal of all materials in accordance with Dental Department, as well as state and federal regulations
- File, scan and create documents for patients and other office needs
- Receive deliveries; sort and distribute incoming mail
- Complete and file insurance forms and dental billing records
- Take inventory of supplies and restock as needed
- Develop and maintain the general office filing system
- Ensure records are stored securely and in compliance with HIPAA and all privacy regulations
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related tasks as needed
- Keep supervisor informed of any issues or concerns
- Other duties as assigned
- Scheduling medical/dental appointments
- Familirarity with dental terminology, material, medications and instruments
- Experience working with all age groups
- Proven ability to react appropriately in stressful situations
- Able and willing to work with culturally diverse populations
- Sensitive and/or knowledgeable about the needs of the American Indian community/culture
- Associates Degree OR
- High School Diploma and a minimum of 3 years’ experience as a Registered Dental Assistant.
- Dental Assistant Diploma
- 2-3 years of relevant experience in an office environment
- X-Ray License required
- Registered Dental Assistant License
- Maintain strict confidentiality of client and personnel information adhering to HIPAA, professional codes of conduct, State of CA regulations, Privacy Act, and UAII policies and procedures.
- This position has access to sensitive information, and a breach of confidentiality will be grounds for disciplinary action up to and including immediate termination
Communication/ Interpersonal Skills:
- Possess the ability to communicate with others in a courteous and professional manner
- Demonstrable ability to communicate effectively and professionally
- Proficient in Google Suite and/or Microsoft Office
- Adobe familiarity
- Strong computer skills
- Familiarity using dental software
- Operate standard office equipment including fax and copy machine
- Available to work Saturdays and some Sundays
- Experience working with the American Indian/Alaskan Native community
- Experience working with nonprofit organizations, community groups, and performance-based government contracts.
- Knowledge of Indian Self-Determination and Education Assistance Act (Public Law 93-638)
- Trained in First Aid/CPR
- Medical Billing and Medical/Dental Coding experience or certification preferred
- Bilingual in Spanish
The work environment characteristics described here represent those employee encounters while performing the primary functions of this job. Normal office conditions exist, and the noise level in the work environment can vary from low to moderate.
The physical demands described here represent those that an employee must meet to perform the primary functions of this job successfully. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is required to sit, twist, talk, and hear. Talking and hearing are essential for communicating with staff and visitors. The employee must be comfortable kneeling, bending, walking, and standing for extended periods. The employee must occasionally lift and move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include reading, distance, computer, and color vision.
UAII will make any practical, feasible, and reasonable arrangements to accommodate qualified applicants and employees with disabilities if it can do so without undue hardship.
There are several deadlines associated with this position. The employee must also multi-task and interact with various people on various and, at times, complex issues.
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties, all employees of United American Indian Involvement, Inc. (UAII) are expected to conform to the following:
- Uphold all principles of confidentiality and patient care to the fullest extent
- Meet or exceed the performance standards as set by your supervisor
- Interact in an honest, trustworthy, and dependable manner with clients, employees, and vendors
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Adhere to all professional and ethical behavior standards as outlined in UAII’s Employee Handbook
- Work independently and as a team member; consistently demonstrate professionalism, courtesy, efficiency, excellent internal and external customer service, high ethical standards, and behavior that contributes to harmonious relationships.
OTHER EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Eligibility to work in the US
- Fingerprint clearance
- Pass a post-offer drug test
- Negative TB test result (annual requirement)
- Prove of vaccination against the flu (annual requirement)
- Prove of full vaccination against COVID, including the latest Booster
- Valid CA driver’s license
- Maintain auto insurance coverage
UAII offers a comprehensive and robust benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- Voluntary Accident, Critical Illness, and Hospital Indemnity Insurance Plans
- Company-paid Short-Term & Long-Term Disability
- Company-paid Basic Life Insurance and AD&D
- FSA Medical and Dependent Care
- 403(b) Retirement Plan with Employer Match
- TotalCare Employee Assistance Program
- 12 Vacation Days (first year)
- 13 Paid Holidays
- 3 Personal Days
- 7 Sick Days
- Bereavement and Jury Duty paid leave
- Employee Wellness Program
About United American Indian Involvement, Inc.
To promote and support the physical, behavioral, and spiritual well-being of American Indian/Alaska Natives in the urban Los Angeles area by providing comprehensive, integrated services that focus on all age groups and incorporate American Indian/Alaska Native cultures and traditions.
UAII will provide quality physical and behavioral health, education, and social support services that promote healthy lifestyles and individual responsibility in order to strengthen American Indian/Alaska Native communities, now and for future generations. All services will integrate traditions, practices, and beliefs, be culturally sensitive and respectful of American Indian/Alaska Native tribal affiliation.