UC San Diego
Building Maintenance Worker
Filing Deadline: Fri 7/27/2018
Salary Range: $17.82 – $20.07 / Hour
Perform a variety of semi-skilled and unskilled tasks in the maintenance and repair of buildings and related facilities and equipment. May work independently, as part of a regular maintenance crew, or as an assistant to a skilled tradesman. Duties include but are not limited to: installing fire extinguishers and blackboards; cleaning roofs and patio drains, piping, clearing stoppages in sinks and toilets; doing preparatory work for painting projects including washing walls, filling in or smoothing surfaces, masking areas and setting up scaffolding; painting markings on asphalt, concrete floors and similar surfaces; replacing door closers, locks, latches, hinges and other building hardware; making minor repairs to office furniture and equipment; making repairs to fences and gates; operating and maintaining a variety of power and hand tools of the various trades. May drive a truck or other vehicle in the course of duty.
Housing Dining Hospitality (HDH) is a self-funded, large and complex campus department consisting of 7 divisions, with approximately 700 career employees, 1000 to 1200 student employees and an annual operating budget of greater than $170 million. HDH provides housing for approximately 15,000 undergraduates, grad students, faculty, staff and their families in over 400 buildings covering approximately 6 million sq. ft. HDH is in the midst of implementing an aggressive building plan which will add 5000 new beds and almost double our square footage by 2021.
Currently, HDH houses 38% of UCSD’s enrolled students with a goal of housing 50% in the near future. HDH provides maintenance and repair, contract meals/meal plan management, as well as retail food service, conference services and catering services to residents, students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors.
• Two years experience in building trade
• Available for overtime
• Able to carry up to 50 pounds for long distances
Please click here to see the Housing Dining Hospitality website – http://hds.ucsd.edu/
• Ability to trouble shoot mechanical problems and make necessary adjustments or repairs.
• Demonstrated skill in setting priorities in a changing work environment and assuring these priorities are met.
• Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions.
• Knowledge and ability to use hand tools and utilize equipment common to the building maintenance trade.
• Ability to request supplies, maintain inventory, and control stock for assigned areas.
• Knowledge and ability to work in a safe manner according to local, federal, state, and university requirements.
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
• Physical ability to perform indicated tasks.
• Demonstrated ability to work well in a team or alone.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with diverse groups of people.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in an environment subject to frequently changing priorities.
• Ability to safeguard keys issued for assigned areas.
• Job offer is contingent upon satisfactory clearance based on Background Check results.
• Valid California Driver’s License required and must participate in the DMV Pull program
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
About University of California, San Diego
Recognized as one of the top 15 research universities worldwide, our culture of collaboration sparks discoveries that advance society and drive economic impact. Everything we do is dedicated to ensuring our students have the opportunity to become changemakers, equipped with the multidisciplinary tools needed to accelerate answers to our world’s most pressing issues.