UC San Diego
Business and Planning Analyst
Filing Deadline: Wed 6/20/2018
Salary Range: $23.42 – $36.21 /hour
HDH is seeking a contract Business and Planning Analyst to support the HDH Financial & Budget Management division in all aspects of financial business management, including but not limited to: short-term budget development, short-term forecasting, strategic planning, segment level reporting, financial modeling with profit/loss review and analysis, operating expense analysis, and product pricing development and modeling.
In addition the incumbent will be responsible for providing the director and manager of FP&A with the analysis and information they need to make major operational, financial, and strategic business decisions. This includes leading monthly variances analysis (budget vs actual),P&L modeling, managing cash flow forecast models, headcount reporting,and other financial performance tools to support the budgeting/forecasting process and other strategic initiatives.
The Business and Planning Analyst is expected to deliver superior service based on comprehensive knowledge of the department and university’s budgeting and financial processing policies. The ideal candidate will have an ability to think critically/analytically, maintain a strong attention to detail, possess excellent communication skills, have an inquisitive nature, be self-motivated, and proficient using Excel and PowerPoint.
Housing Dining Hospitality (HDH) is a self-funded, large and complex campus department consisting of 7 divisions, with approximately 700 career employees, 1000 to 1200 student employees and an annual operating budget of greater than $180 million. HDH provides housing for approximately 15,000 undergraduates, grad students, faculty, staff and their families in over 400 buildings covering approximately 6 million sq. ft. HDH is in the midst of implementing an aggressive building plan which will add 5000 new beds and almost double our square footage by 2021.
Currently, HDH houses 38% of UCSD’s enrolled students with a goal of housing 50% in the near future. HDH provides maintenance and repair, contract meals/meal plan management, as well as retail food service, conference services and catering services to residents, students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors.
• Overtime may be required.
Please visit: http://hds.ucsd.edu/ for more information.
• Working knowledge of finance policies, practices, and systems. Understanding of accounting and finance principles related to profit/loss analysis and cashflow modeling.
• Ability to gather reasonably retrievable information to organize, and perform basic financial analysis assignments. Ability to research, collect, process, validate, and interpret financial and budgetary data from diverse sources.
• Strong ability to effectively present information verbally and in writing clearly and concisely. Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively and diplomatically at all organizational levels.
• Expertise using computer software, such as Microsoft Excel, Word, Access and PowerPoint. Experience using ERP systems such as Oracle, Cognos, Adaptive Insights.
• Proficiency using spreadsheet and database software for moderately complex financial analysis, fiscal management, and financial reports.
• Skills in analyzing budgetary and financial data, extracting and summarizing critical components and compiling managerial reports.
• Intermediate knowledge and understanding of internal control practices and their impact on protecting University resources.
• Knowledge and applications of principles and practices of fiscal planning and analysis, budgetary systems and organizational management.
• Demonstrated knowledge and applications of principles and practices of fund accounting.
• Ability to analyze fiscal issues and information, recognize potential impact, identify alternative solutions and make recommendations.
• Solid interpersonal skills at all levels within the unit; excellent service orientation and critical thinking skills; and attention to detail. Ability using organizational skills to multi-task in a high volume environment.
• Job offer is contingent upon a satisfactory clearance based on background check results.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
About University of California, San Diego
Recognized as one of the top 15 research universities worldwide, our culture of collaboration sparks discoveries that advance society and drive economic impact. Everything we do is dedicated to ensuring our students have the opportunity to become changemakers, equipped with the multidisciplinary tools needed to accelerate answers to our world’s most pressing issues.