UC San Diego
Filing Deadline: Fri 7/27/2018
Salary Range: $34.35 / Hour
100% Career position. Works independently or with a crew. Performs journey level painting using brush, roller, conventional and airless paint spraying equipment; ceramic tile repair, shower surround installation; Maintenance and repair of various floor coverings including sheet products, deck coatings, and carpets. Repairs stucco and lath and plaster. Must have a strong knowledge of and experience with tools, equipment and products of the trade(s). Must have knowledge of EPA codes and regulations as they pertain to the trade(s).
Housing Dining Hospitality (HDH) is a self-funded, large and complex campus department consisting of 7 divisions, with approximately 700 career employees, 1000 to 1200 student employees and an annual operating budget of greater than $170 million. HDH provides housing for approximately 15,000 undergraduates, grad students, faculty, staff and their families in over 400 buildings covering approximately 6 million sq. ft. HDH is in the midst of implementing an aggressive building plan which will add 5000 new beds and almost double our square footage by 2021.
Currently, HDH houses 38% of UCSD’s enrolled students with a goal of housing 50% in the near future. HDH provides maintenance and repair, contract meals/meal plan management, as well as retail food service, conference services and catering services to residents, students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors.
• Required to Work Overtime as Needed.
• Subject to Emergency Call in.
• Working at Extended Heights.
• Able to Carry Tools and Walk to Various Locations.
Please click here to see the Housing Dining Hospitality websites – http://hds.ucsd.edu/ and http://hdh.ucsd.edu/maintenance/
• Knowledge of construction materials used in painting trade. Ability to determine repair needs and inform supervisor.
• Ability to work effectively in an environment subject to frequently changing priorities and work assignments. Skills to organize and prioritize work
• Ability to communicate and relate to students, public, and staff both verbally and in writing.
• Knowledge and experience in the installation and preparation of drywall and plaster surfaces.
• Skills to follow verbal and written instructions.
• Knowledge of how to prepare a surface to be painted such as sanding, scraping, wire brushing, and strip with a stripping compound.
• Thorough knowledge of all power (including power saw, power sander, airless spray gun) and hand tools used in performance of assigned tasks, including cleaning and care.
• Knowledge of different types of cements such as plastic or common.
• Strong demonstrated ability to read color chart and finish schedules and interpret drawings and sketches
• Ability to safeguard areas and keys assigned to you.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills and diplomacy.
• Demonstrated knowledge of related safety regulations and practices Knowledge and ability to work in a safe manner according to local, federal, state and university requirements.
• Ability to effectively interact with diverse groups of people. Ability to work well in a team or alone.
• Physical ability to perform indicated tasks.
• Ability to maintain inventory and control stock for assigned areas.
• Technical ability to learn and use a computer and handle device to communicate via email and complete MAXIMO work order.
• Four years journeyman level painting experience.
• Must have the ability to function effectively as a team member, including working cooperatively and positively with co-workers to achieve unit and area goals.
• Ability to provide excellent customer service, including greeting the customers, completing work in a professional, cooperative manner, providing a solution or an estimated time when you can get back to them, and following up until the job is completed.
• Job offer is contingent upon satisfactory clearance based on Background Check results.
• Valid California Driver’s License must participate in the DMV pull.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
About University of California, San Diego
Recognized as one of the top 15 research universities worldwide, our culture of collaboration sparks discoveries that advance society and drive economic impact. Everything we do is dedicated to ensuring our students have the opportunity to become changemakers, equipped with the multidisciplinary tools needed to accelerate answers to our world’s most pressing issues.