UC San Diego
Filing Deadline: Mon 10/1/2018
Salary Range: $19.55 – $22.18 /hour
Under supervision of the Associate Director and Assistant Director of Dining, Market and Culinary Services, the Administrative Assistant will perform and be responsible for all planning, coordination and administrative tasks relating to Dining, Market and Culinary Services. This includes office systems management, filing system maintenance, independently creating/maintaining computerized databases, data entry, word processing, tracking/processing invoices, scheduling meetings and training sessions, and maintaining unit calendar.
The Administrative Assistant to the Associate Director of Dining, Market and Culinary Services will also coordinate purchasing activities as well as prepare correspondence, forms, and paperwork for signature/approval. Utilizes a variety of computer applications to include Microsoft Suite (Word, Access, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Publisher), Kronos, FoodPro and the University’s Integrated Financial Information System (IFIS) and FinancialLink.
Incumbent must demonstrate excellent communication, customer service and telephone skills required for heavy contact with a diverse group of staff and vendors. Thorough knowledge of University policies, procedures and office forms is required. Functions in the absence of his/her supervisor. Must drive University vehicle (or electric cart) to inspect property and units or run errands.
Housing Dining Hospitality (HDH) is a self-funded, large and complex campus department consisting of 7 divisions, with approximately 700 career employees, 1000 to 1200 student employees and an annual operating budget of greater than $189 million. HDH provides housing for approximately 15,000 undergraduates, grad students, faculty, staff and their families in over 400 buildings covering approximately 6 million sq. ft. HDH is in the midst of implementing an aggressive building plan which will add 5000 new beds and almost double our square footage by 2021. Currently, HDH houses 38% of UCSD’s enrolled students with a goal of housing 50% in the near future. HDH provides maintenance and repair, contract meals/meal plan management, as well as retail food service, conference services and catering services to residents, students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors.
Responsible for the operating needs of the department and requires varied work schedules, (i.e., a.m., p.m., and/or weekend shifts and/or 10 hour workday). Employees may be required to take off (vacation or temporary layoff) during scheduled operational shutdown periods, such as Christmas, Spring & Summer breaks.
Please visit the HDH website: http://hdh.ucsd.edu/
• Demonstrated ability to process a large volume of documents with accuracy in a timely manner. Strong skill for detail and accuracy.
• Proficient in data entry, word processing, and keyboarding skills. Ability to work independently and to compile and analyze data.
• Excellent general office and administrative skills. Ability to proofread work to ensure accuracy of grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
• Ability to coordinate and prioritize workload. Organizational skills and problem solving abilities using independent judgment.
• Knowledge and ability to use word processing, database, spreadsheet, email, and desktop publishing software, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Access, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Publisher). Knowledge in the use of FinancialLink and Kronos preferred.
• Ability to interact and communicate with a diverse customer base, in a helpful, effective and informative manner in person, electronically, and on the telephone, demonstrating tact and diplomacy.
• Ability to build and maintain customer and vendor relations through a professional approach in handling service needs and problems.
• Working knowledge of basic financial principles.
• Skilled to operate standard office equipment to include: computer, electric typewriter, 10-key adding machine, various printers, fax machine, copier machine, telephone, and voicemail.
• Ability to work efficiently in a busy, service oriented office atmosphere with frequent interruptions, varied work assignments, and fluctuating priorities while meeting deadlines.
• Ability to complete forms thoroughly, accurately, and follow-up independently according to UCSD and departmental procedures.
• Proven ability to exercise tact, mature judgment, confidentially, diplomacy, and flexibility to promote a positive environment and job effectiveness.
• Job offer is contingent upon a satisfactory clearance based on nackground Check results.
• Must have a valid CA driver’s license, good driving record, and participate in the DMV Pull Program.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
About University of California, San Diego
Recognized as one of the top 15 research universities worldwide, our culture of collaboration sparks discoveries that advance society and drive economic impact. Everything we do is dedicated to ensuring our students have the opportunity to become changemakers, equipped with the multidisciplinary tools needed to accelerate answers to our world’s most pressing issues.