Location: Eugene, OR
Categories: Information Technology, Computer and Information Science
Department: Information Services
Classification: Analyst Programmer 2
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary:$57,108 – $105,984 per year (updated)
Review of Applications Begins
September 14, 2023; position open until filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
To ensure consideration, please upload the following with your online application:
• A cover letter stating your interest, and how your skills and experience meet the requirements and qualifications for this position.
• Your current resume, including dates of employment.
All applications must be submitted here, https://careers.uoregon.edu/en-us/job/532531/data-engineer-2
Information Services (IS) is the central information technology unit at the University of Oregon and provides wide ranging services to campus. Information Services consists of four major functional areas: Customer Experience, which serves as the key contact point for interactions with campus clients and customers; Enterprise Solutions, which manages and supports applications, integration services, identity management and data management; Information Security, which helps protect virtual or physical information; and Technology Infrastructure, which provides administration and support for the software, hardware, and services needed to support the campus IT environment. Information Services also includes the Advanced Network Technology Center. IS works closely with the Network for Education and Research in Oregon.
Established in 1876, the University of Oregon offers a breadth and depth of curricula with more than 270 academic programs and provides the opportunity to work at a respected research university with a strong holistic, liberal arts foundation. The UO also has a history of political and social involvement that embraces diverse beliefs, cultures, and values, and it is committed to environmental responsibility.
The University is also proud of the newly-announced Phil and Penny Knight Campus for Accelerating Scientific Impact, an initiative specifically designed to fast-track scientific discoveries and the process of turning those discoveries into innovations that improve the quality of life for people in Oregon, the nation and beyond. Information Services collaborates with Research and Innovation and our schools and colleges to support the research, teaching, and learning mission of the University.
Eugene is the home of the University of Oregon. Located in the lush Willamette Valley, Eugene is well-known for outdoor pursuits like running, cycling, rafting, and fishing, as well as arts, music, crafts, brewing, wine-making, and community-supported agriculture. With branches in Portland and on the Oregon coast, the UO is deeply connected to Oregon’s natural and cultural treasures.
Reporting to the Business Intelligence Manager, this position is responsible for data pipeline and transformation planning, design, development, and support for enterprise data warehouses and data lakes. This position works alongside Data Analysts both internal and external to the team, to meet critical data and analytical needs to effectively run the institution. Additional collaboration happens with ERP Developers or other technical staff to respond to changes in source systems, to maintain high quality and timely data pipelines.
This position develops and maintains high quality and up-to-date critical system documentation. This position provides expertise and consultation to other Information Services teams with regards to data structures and pipelines. This position functions within a team to initiate, promote and coordinate activities to foster growth within the university business intelligence community. This position has no budget authority and no supervisory authority.
This classification requires a basic foundation of knowledge and skills in systems analysis and related programming support functions generally obtained by a bachelor’s degree in computer science or an equivalent amount of training and applied experience.
• Ability to work effectively with faculty, staff, and students from a variety of diverse backgrounds
• Demonstrated advanced problem-solving skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to explain technical concepts to audiences with a wide range of technical skills
• Ability to adapt within a rapidly changing technical environment
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
• Keen attention to detail in analysis and validation and strong organizational skills
• Experience with Ellucian Banner, ODS and/or EDW
• Experience with Oracle Databases and/or Oracle Data Integrator (ODI)
• Experience with IBM Cognos or Microsoft Power BI
• Experience with Microsoft Azure or AWS data warehouse and data lake technologies
• Experience writing and supporting complex SQL
• Experience with DataOps or DevOps tools and processes, such as git, Jenkins, DBT or Azure DevOps
• Experience with Agile development methodology
• Experience with ITIL version 4 or ITSM (Information Technology Service Methodology)
FLSA Exempt: Yes